PDA

View Full Version : Best Turkey Chokes

Spur Collector
11-14-2007, 09:23 AM
I have a friend who bought a SBE II last spring. He got the Kicks Gobblin Thunder choke tube in the .655. It shoots an awesome pattern at 40 yds.

So awesome that I sold my Browning and bought the SBE II. I haven't bought the choke tube yet but I'm definately going to.

What shotgun/choke combinations do you guys shoot or have seen, that get the best patterns for longbeards?

dblcluck
11-14-2007, 09:45 AM
Try the Rhino chokes and some Nitro 4X5X7 Plated Hevi-shot loads. This combo gave me 316 pellets inside a 10" circle at 40 yards!!

http://www.nitrocompany.com/

CH/QuakerBoyProstaff
11-15-2007, 03:37 AM
Nitro's are pimp fo' sho',but they hit your wallet just as hard.If money is no object, I'd invest in that set up. If you want something a little cheaper and easier to get your hands on,try some Hevi 13 #6's with an Indian Creek tube.I've had to do some home taxidermy before taking photos of birds shot at 35yds.Check out the 2006 NWTF still target shoot winners equipment,if you need more proof.

Spur Collector
11-15-2007, 09:23 AM
I have looked at Indian Creek, and wondered how they worked with Benelli. I may just give it a try. I see all the records they've broke. It's an expensive tube but sounds like it may be worth it.

I've seen them for 74.95, anybody know where they're any cheaper?

mudhen
11-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Indian Creek .650 patterned like crap in my SBE II. Too tight - pattern just blew out. The choke is just collecting dust in my garage. I will probably send back to IC as I don't need it.

I don't think anyone at the NWTF did well with a Benelli and a .650 Indian Creek.

I'll stick with my Primos Jellyhead in .660 :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/mudhen/IMG_0094.jpg

Spur Collector
11-15-2007, 04:48 PM
I bought the Jellyhead already. Got a deal for like 29.00... What shells are you shooting through it??? I plan on patterning it this weekend...

Spur Collector
11-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Oh yeah...

Nice gobblers.

That's what I plan on doing with my Nelli...

mudhen
11-15-2007, 05:08 PM
I bought the Jellyhead already. Got a deal for like 29.00... What shells are you shooting through it??? I plan on patterning it this weekend...

I paid about that for mine.

Winchester XR #6's 3.5" works for me.

CH/QuakerBoyProstaff
11-16-2007, 03:33 AM
You can get the In. Creek tubes in whatever size you want.Direct from the factory.What shells did you shoot through your IC,Mudhen?Just Curious.

mudhen
11-16-2007, 01:58 PM
You can get the In. Creek tubes in whatever size you want.Direct from the factory.What shells did you shoot through your IC,Mudhen?Just Curious.

I was in contact with IC numerous times directly. Btw - the suck at replying to e-mails. I told them the shell I was shooting, Win XR 6's, and they selected the tube they thought was best, .650. I tried maybe 7-8 different shells through that choke, all performed poorly.

I'm not going to spend $500 to find out which IC choke might work best - I'll stick with my $28 Primos for now :)

CH/QuakerBoyProstaff
11-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Word. I only ask because in Jan. I'm taking part in a Test session that will include each size of IC tubes and various Benelli guns,along with many shot sizes and mfg.I am looking forward to getting some answers for me as well as anyone else with questions.I know that no setup is identical,but the resources are there to find a good starting point on someone else's dime.

Spur Collector
11-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Let us know what you find out about Indian Creek and Benelli. I'm very interested.

I Patterned the Primos Jellyhead today and I was surprised. I got better patterns than I expected from a low priced tube. I shot Federal 3 1/2" #5 with the flight control wad amd the Winchester Premium 3 1/2" #5. Both grouped real well.

Just for kicks, I tried a Federal 3 1/2" 00 Buckshot. I'd hunt with it. I didn't count the pellets, and I only shot 40 yards but it would have been lethal, I promise.

I've only had Nelli about 3 weeks. I'm going to buy a high priced tube before spring. Probably a Kicks Gobblin Thunder like my buddy. I'm anxious to see what it'll do.

CH/QuakerBoyProstaff
11-17-2007, 12:24 AM
Honestly,after all the patterning sessions I took part in last season,and all the combinations tested,the tube I hunted with most was a $20 Primos Tightwad tube with the Hevi 13 #6's.It also shoots old school Remington Hevishot(pre Wingmaster HD),but that was in an M1,and a Supernova.Price doesn't always make something the best.The only hard part is finding stuff that fits the "new" Benelli threads(M2/SBE2)in economical categories.I wish you the best in your quest,because turkey hunters are part of a special brotherhood,and its important to share the wealth.Stay tuned,Spring will be here before you know it!

nlwood
11-21-2007, 09:24 PM
I have been shooting the SBE (with the first pistol grip) (now called Steady Grip) for over 7 years and I have used the extended PatternMaster choke tube for 3 & 3.5 in. shells for Turkey, Ducks, Geese and Sand Hill Crane. I find, with the PatternMaster, the standard distance is over 40 yards. With Kent shells I consistantly group patterns of 95 to 84 percent in a 40 in. circle at 50 and 60 yards. But, please don't just accept what I'm saying, find someone else that has a PatternMaster and have them verify (or Challenge) my information. check the PatternMaster web site

lhianeaivee
11-28-2007, 01:55 PM
poor turkey...huhuhuhuh:(

Spur Collector
11-28-2007, 10:19 PM
I spoke with Mike from Indian Creek yesterday. He's a heckuva nice guy. He's sending me a couple of tubes, the .655 and the .665. I'm going to buy one and send back the one I don't want. Hopefully I'll have them by the weekend. I'll pattern them and let you guys know how they do.

I wanted to buy American made and Indian Creek is a sponsor and very involved with the NWTF. I hope their tubes shoot good in the Nelli.

Novaking
11-29-2007, 10:36 PM
carlsons chokes at the way. call or email them and they will tell you which choke to use with which shot.

They are about 34.95 and I can put 23 pellets on a turkey target at 65 yards with heavyshot 3 1/2 #5s.

www.choketube.com

novaking

12-08-2007, 05:30 PM
I am also looking into an Indian Creek to put on my Super Nova Steady Grip c/w Burris 1.75-5x20mm after seeing the damage it did to targets on a Winchester 1300. A guy I hunted with uses one on his 20Ga Nova (Hevi 13 #6) and loves it.

In my experience I don't find that 3-1/2 shells pattern as well as 3" shells at least in the last 2 times I did gun/choke/shell combo's. I'll probably start with Hevi 13 # 5 & #6, Winchester Extended #5 & #6, and Winchester Double X #6.

John

Spur Collector
12-08-2007, 11:02 PM
I was limited on time and did some quick testing today. I patterned the Indian Creek .665 and .655 with my SBEII. I only shot 3 1/2" #5s because thats my favorite turkey load. I shot Winchesters, Federals and Hevi 13. I shot 2 ea. at 40 yards.

They were both good but the .655 was slightly better. I'm keeping the .655. It did better with the Winchester and Hevi 13. It is flat out awesome with the Hevi 13 and that will most likely be my combination for this spring. The Winchesters are a close second. I didn't count pellets or anything yet but they were touching 2 and 3 together and lots in the 3" circle and the kill zone.

I'll do some pellet counting and pictures and post them later.

CH/QuakerBoyProstaff
12-09-2007, 03:32 AM
I stopped at Cabela's in Pa. on my way back yesterday,and went into the Bargain Cave at the back of the store.Man!There were choke tubes in every size and mfg. in there being sold at crazy cheap prices.I got a MadMaxII for $9.99 and a rifled Ben/Ber tube for the same.They had a SBEII/M2 Comfortech recoil pad that lists for$69.99 for $10.00 in a sandwich bag!If you have a store near you,run don't walk!

doppler
12-17-2007, 08:25 PM
I have been using the Comp-n-Choke XX in my SBE2 and I have no regrets. I have no need to look any further. Anything inside of 50 yards is as good as dead if I do my part.

Third&Long
12-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Just an add on to Novaking. I emailed Carlson's and told them what my current set up was. They emailed back within 24hrs with their suggestion: Extended Turkey Choke (.665) with Hevi-Shot #6. Well worth checking out.

shoot_anything_man
12-18-2007, 07:08 PM
with my 870 I use an undertake choke for hevi-shot and I use Hevi-shot in #5s and it is very deadly. I have killed turkeys up to 75 yards away. I have killed a hen at 72 yards and a gobbler at 75. Like someone else said if you have lots of $$ rhino chokes with Nitro hevi-shot are great. A guy I know has killed a gobbler at 96 yards and a bearded hen at 116 yards. Yes, he has a scope to see the turkeys when they are that far away!:D The only negative of this is that at 20 yards it is like shooting a slug, so you better be on the turkey's head .

wburns
12-18-2007, 10:24 PM
I also use the undertaker choke. I have not used it on turkeys yet but it has been a very good waterfowl choke. I am going to pattern it with some turkey loads this spring.

T2D2
01-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Word. I only ask because in Jan. I'm taking part in a Test session that will include each size of IC tubes and various Benelli guns,along with many shot sizes and mfg.I am looking forward to getting some answers for me as well as anyone else with questions.I know that no setup is identical,but the resources are there to find a good starting point on someone else's dime.

Looking for a turkey choke for my new SBEII...

CH/QuakerBoyProstaff: How did the Indian Creek tests go?

Spur Collector: What shell works best with the SBEII/Kicks Gobblin Thunder combo?

Also, general stupid question, what bore size is the SBEII?

Thanks in advance!

CH/QuakerBoyProstaff
01-17-2008, 04:25 PM
The test has been scheduled to coincide with the SHOT show.New product coming out will nullify some of the data that would be gathered.In a couple of weeks we will be jammin'!

Spur Collector
01-18-2008, 10:41 PM
My friend shoots the Gobblin Thunder .655 with Winchester Supreme #5s. He gets great patterns with his SBEII and kills birds. That's the main reason I bought the SBEII.

CH/QuakerBoyProstaff
01-19-2008, 03:50 AM
I just recieved a real sleeper tube.The Truglo Strut Stopper Xtreme.It is not the one at Walmart. It is a .643id! and has straight grooves in it.This thing is WILD.From what I've tested at an informal session,this thing is going to be murderous.I am going to put it through it's paces on Sun.

tdaniel377
01-20-2008, 12:44 PM
I was at the local BassPro yesterday and started to buy a couple more chokes to try in my Supernova but held off.Quakerboy be sure and let us know what the results are from the TruGlo tube you mentioned.I started to buy a Truglo from BassPro yesterday but didnt.I wonder if its the same tube that you mentioned?TIA

Spur Collector
01-20-2008, 09:42 PM
.643... That's tight... I wouldn't mind having one of those to shoot turkey shoots. I bet that'd even pattern those low powered #8s they give you at turkey shoots. Let us know about extensive tests. I'll look at them next time I'm at Bass Pro.

CH/QuakerBoyProstaff
01-21-2008, 02:08 AM
This tube is mysterious.I have never seen it anywhere other than in the catalog and on the website.They want me to use it at my seminars about turkey equipment,so I recieved one this week.I shot 100 rounds today of Federal,Rem,Hevi13,Win and even Bismuth! At 20-40yds every load would have killed a turkey,from 45 to 55 some loads started to stand out.Hevi13 #6 and Fed f/c #5 and #6 and oldschool Rem Hevi made it into the next round of tests.The next session will include some more brands and materials.The only common thing is that they will all hover around #5 and #6. My favorite target is the H.S. Strut that is available at W-mart.I like this target because it has the veins and arteries as well as skull and vertabrae.
I make hundreds of copies at the neighborhood Grocery store,so I can get consistant results.

10Gauge
01-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Any of you guys know of a turkey choke tube that is actually "cryo" treated other than the factory Benelli chokes?

I've called several makers who have chokes that fit the SBE II (Crio or Optima....take your pick) and none of them are actually treated to the same cryogenic process, at least none I have found. Guess if you want one you'll have to send it out and have it done yourself?!?! I'm not so sure it makes a hill of beans difference but Benelli sure makes it sound good! ;-)

BARTMAN
01-26-2008, 04:55 PM
tHAT TRUGLOE LOOKS LIKE MY JELLYHEAD. DO YA THINK IT COULD BE THE SAME MANUFACTURER??

CH/QuakerBoyProstaff
01-27-2008, 03:57 AM
It is possible.The TruGlo tubes are produced in-house in Richardson Texas.

TookyriverCalls
01-29-2008, 06:02 PM
I just ordered a Rhino .575 for my Monte 20GA I've got a Jelly Head for my SBE II but probably will be buying the Rhino for it as well. I hate shocking my wife as at once..I like to the drag them out over the next few months.

mudhen
01-29-2008, 09:52 PM
I just ordered a Rhino .575 for my Monte 20GA I've got a Jelly Head for my SBE II but probably will be buying the Rhino for it as well. I hate shocking my wife as at once..I like to the drag them out over the next few months.

My JH outshoots my Rhino in my SBE II.

CH/QuakerBoyProstaff
01-30-2008, 02:44 AM
The Jellyhead is an awesome tube.Primos gets my respect for producing two fine tubes,with the Tightwad being the second.I've noticed that the JH produces competitive patterns in a very wide selection of shotguns.I only wish Quaker Boy would take a notice....

kwblount_03
02-03-2008, 07:49 PM
I have a friend who bought a SBE II last spring. He got the Kicks Gobblin Thunder choke tube in the .655. It shoots an awesome pattern at 40 yds.

So awesome that I sold my Browning and bought the SBE II. I haven't bought the choke tube yet but I'm definately going to.

What shotgun/choke combinations do you guys shoot or have seen, that get the best patterns for longbeards?

Iv used the kicks indestries comp in choke for 2 years and have not found one better for my berreta

tHeFuZz23
02-03-2008, 08:44 PM
can anyone tell me if benelli chokes are interchangable with stoeger shotguns?

tdaniel377
02-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Yes the Benelli/Beretta chokes are interchangeable with the Stoeger shotguns.They are using the Mobilchoke system so make sure you are getting the Mobilchoke and not the newer Crio chokes when you buy!

tHeFuZz23
02-03-2008, 08:49 PM
do benelli or beretta chokes work with stoeger shotguns?

tHeFuZz23
02-03-2008, 08:55 PM
thanx. i have a 12 gauge 3 1/2 26 in barrel and am looking at comp n choke. any recommendations?

tdaniel377
02-03-2008, 09:01 PM
I have read where some have used the Comp-n-choke and had good results.I have used and still use the Primos Jellyhead.It is a very good choke,hard to beat,lots cheaper than several of the other chokes also.I think it is cheaper than the comp-n- choke by a good margin also.I dont think you will have any complaints about the Jellyhead.

tHeFuZz23
02-03-2008, 09:05 PM
so this choke in benelli will fit the stoeger P350? what is the best site to find it?

tdaniel377
02-03-2008, 09:10 PM
I think Bass Pro may be your best bet for the Jellyhead.If you have a local store sometimes they go on sale just before turkey season.I think that Cabelas carries them also.

tHeFuZz23
02-03-2008, 09:14 PM
what do u shoot as far as constriction?

tdaniel377
02-03-2008, 09:23 PM
The jellyhead for the Benelli mobilchoke is .655 ID.

tHeFuZz23
02-03-2008, 09:26 PM
thanx alot. going to check em out now. hope u fill ur tags.

tdaniel377
02-03-2008, 09:34 PM
I hope I have been of some help to ya!I bought the Jellyhead tube for my Benelli SBE last year and it opened my eyes to how good that gun could pattern.If you need to know any more about choke interchangeability you can go to the Briley choke website,they have a list there that tells what chokes will interchange.Hope you get good patterns and harvest a longbeard with your Stoeger!

mudhen
02-04-2008, 02:21 AM
so this choke in benelli will fit the stoeger P350? what is the best site to find it?

Cheapest place I have found is www.wingsupply.com (http://www.wingsupply.com) $37 or close to that.

Flhawghuntr
02-04-2008, 03:11 PM
I use the .660 Rhino with the Nitros and it is awesome. almost 400 pellets 10" circle @ 40yds. It shoots a real tight pattern but I use a Holo sight which makes it easy on close shots.

DuckChaser07
02-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Hey all,

Does TruGlo Strut Stopper Extreme or Primos Jellyhead make a choke for the M2 or SBEII? Is their constriction .665 or .655?

I have the 12 ga M2 (3"). Has anyone done patterning for the 3" loads or is their no significant differnece between 3" and 3.5" lead loads? I'd like to try my M2 this spring and see how it pounds turkeys in comparison to my 'ol 870 w/ MadMax .665 choke.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

10Gauge
02-10-2008, 05:03 PM
DC, I pretty much shoot 3" exclusively from my SBE & SBE2 guns on turkey but I have not yet used any choke in my SBE2 other than a Rhino (.660")......I just ordered a MadMax in .665" for the SBE2 from cabelas for $19.88 (non-ported) to test some HighDensity Federals.

I think MudHen is using the JellyHead in his SBE2 and is getting great results....search the threads for his patterning info....he is shooting 3-1/2" if memory serves me but I don't recall his favorite load.

good luck!

10Gauge
02-10-2008, 05:08 PM
DC, I pretty much shoot 3" exclusively from my SBE & SBE2 guns on turkey but I have not yet used any choke in my SBE2 other than a Rhino (.660")......I just ordered a MadMax in .665" for the SBE2 from cabelas for $19.88 (non-ported) to test some HighDensity Federals.

The .660 Rhino patterns well with my favorite reloads....I have worked up some buffered copper plated and nickle plated duplex loads that perform as well as the Nitro stuf but for a lot less coin!

I think MudHen is using the JellyHead in his SBE2 and is getting great results....search the threads for his patterning info....he is shooting 3-1/2" if memory serves me but I don't recall his favorite load.

good luck!

mudhen
02-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Hey all,

Does TruGlo Strut Stopper Extreme or Primos Jellyhead make a choke for the M2 or SBEII? Is their constriction .665 or .655?

I have the 12 ga M2 (3"). Has anyone done patterning for the 3" loads or is their no significant differnece between 3" and 3.5" lead loads? I'd like to try my M2 this spring and see how it pounds turkeys in comparison to my 'ol 870 w/ MadMax .665 choke.

Thanks in advance. Kevin

I have found that in my guns, 3.5" patterns much better than 3". I've tried maybe a dozen different comparison tests.

Yes, there is a JH for the M2/SBE II, .660. I have had decent results with this choke and 3.5" Win XR #6's.

The Tru-Glo SSX also is available for the M2/SBE II, .643. I have heard the .643 SSX is the bomb w/XR #6's, and I have one on the way. I won't be able to shoot for a few days, so I can't post photos until around the 23rd/24th.

Patterning Benellis for turks has not been a simple task for me....

CH/QuakerBoyProstaff
02-10-2008, 11:23 PM
These guns do seem to be shipped from the factory with anti turkey hunting demons packed in the box with the gun.You have to have a passion for shooting at paper if you are want to mash birds with maximum confidence with these guns.

When you get it right,it is the most rewarding thing,but getting it wrong and trying new things is what you find yourself doing the most.

eagle85
02-11-2008, 10:33 AM
I am curious too--just purchased a M2 and bought some Winchester XR #5's and curious to see what choke will be the best. Thinking about Kicks .655 to start w/. If you guys narrow it down through your own research and development, pass it on. Thanks again.

DA

10Gauge
02-11-2008, 11:23 AM
eagle, i personally think a .655" choke is too tight for the #5's and way too much choke for HS or HD loads (winXR)....i would lean toward a .670" or .675" when shooting HS or HD loads!

It has been my experience that this dense shot shoots better patterns in slightly more open chokes.....i've had good success shooting #6's and some experimental #7-1/2" (reloads) of high density shot in tighter chokes (.660-.665")......most manufactures of both Hevi-Shot & High Density ammo will recommend .675" as the tightest choke to consider for this ammo!

i'm sure others will have some comments on this.....contradicting my own experience but that's what is so great about these forums, you can get so many opinions! ;)

mudhen
02-11-2008, 01:56 PM
I am curious too--just purchased a M2 and bought some Winchester XR #5's and curious to see what choke will be the best. Thinking about Kicks .655 to start w/. If you guys narrow it down through your own research and development, pass it on. Thanks again.

DA

XR's are a somewhat different HD shot. They are much more uniform and true to size. I have been able to stay pretty close to copper coated lead when it comes to constrictions.

My SBE II likes XR #5's through a Rhino 2" .660. It also shoots them fine through the .660 Jellyhead.

.655 mights still be a bit too tight even for the regular shaped XR. Maybe try #6's too?

Regular slag Hevi-Shot certainly likes more open chokes because the shot is so far from regular shaped. You have snowman shot, oblong shot, and all sorts of shapes and sizes. Over on the NWTF website, lots of guys cut open HS shells. #6 HS can be size #2-#9.

DuckChaser07
02-11-2008, 05:27 PM
10 Gauge, Mudhen and CH,

Thanks for your advice. I'm sort of a perfectionist so your advice cuts my work down and gets me closer to a correct choke shooting my M2. Since I'm limited to 3" (which is plenty for turkey under 40 yards) and like to shoot 5's given vegetation when turkey season opens in Missouri, the .665 seems logical. If the Jellyhead flies for Mudhen, it may be a good start for me. Hearing good things about Indian Creek when paired with 3" 2 oz #5s.

I've also herard the new Federal shells w/ Flightcontrol wads are working well in many Benelli's. Would like to try these and report back to all.

MH, please do tell us how your patterning goes with the TruGlo SSX. Seems pretty tight for the conventional lead loads I prefer (3", 2 oz, #5s). It'll be interesting to see your findings.

Thanks All!!

Kevin

sputterbug
02-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Hi guys,

Does anyone know which Truglo part # is correct for the Benelli M2 (Crio Plus .723 bbl just like the SBEII)?

Truglo web site is not clear.

One is for Beretta Extrema, Optima Plus choke.
The other is for Benelli mobi le choke.

Neither one sounds correct, but I guess Truglo manages to sell some...

ScoutII
02-11-2008, 07:33 PM
DuckChaser, I just bought a Rhino .670. I will be shooting heavy shot and Winchester Supreme Extended Range in both 5's and 6's. I had real good results from the Winchester ammo last year but that was from a different gun. I used the Winchester in the 870 I had and it shot good as well. I'm hoping it works good in the SBE. I will keep you informed.

10Gauge
02-11-2008, 07:54 PM
sputter, the optimua plus is the same choke as the cryo plus.

duck, i'm partial to the #5's myself but some of my "tighter" chokes shoot (pattern) #6's better....don't fall prey to sticking to one shot size because your gun and choke combo might like a different size!

mud, i agree with you on Hevi-Shot it is the most un-uniform (is that a word) shot I've ever seen with respect to size, but I think this is why it has done so well in some of the NWTF competitions in the past. We (handloaders & shotshell mfg) use buffer to fill the voids and prevent the pellets from deforming (creates flyers) and to some extent this is what happens when shot size varies. I make some buffered tri-plex loads for my 10ga that consist of 4x5x6's and a load that is 5X6X7-1/2.....this is what the boys at Nitro do as well....the patterns tend to be much better (99%@35yds & very dense in the head & neck region) than say #5 or #6. Some people will argue that duplex & tri-plex loads are not good because of the difference in energy between the different size shot but 2 dimentional patterns don't know this! Now the "shot string" should show the energy difference but i have no way of accurately measuring "shot string"....i've tried some crazy stuff but thats a whole other thread! Let's say for the sake of argument the #4's hit the target (turkey) before the #5's and the #6's are bringing up the rear does the target (turkey) really care?

sputterbug
02-11-2008, 08:05 PM
10G,

Thank you re: the SSX. Truglo CS owes you.

Very informative on the tri-loads too.

mudhen
02-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Hi guys,

Does anyone know which Truglo part # is correct for the Benelli M2 (Crio Plus .723 bbl just like the SBEII)?

Truglo web site is not clear.

One is for Beretta Extrema, Optima Plus choke.
The other is for Benelli mobi le choke.

Neither one sounds correct, but I guess Truglo manages to sell some...

The SSX Beretta Mobil Choke/Benelli Standard choke (pre-Crio Choke for the most part) Tru-Glo part # is TG155X, .643.

The SSX Beretta Optima Plus/Benelli Crio (Plus) choke Tru-Glo part # is TG154X, .643. This is for the SBE II/M2.

sputterbug
02-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks, Mudhen,

I would have posted the link to the Truglo site, but the forum won't let me since I'm just a rookie :p

Appreciate the part #.

CH/QuakerBoyProstaff
02-12-2008, 03:14 AM
Please keep us posted on your results with your TruGlo tube!:)

eagle85
02-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks Mudhen and 10gauge for the info. I called Kicks Chokes and they told me that the Winchester XR #5 was a good choice and recommended a xxx (.658) comp-n-choke. I guess I will start there and see what happens.

10Gauge
02-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Thanks Mudhen and 10gauge for the info. I called Kicks Chokes and they told me that the Winchester XR #5 was a good choice and recommended a xxx (.658) comp-n-choke. I guess I will start there and see what happens.

i'm confused??? you called Kick's and they told you to use a "comp-n-choke"??? those are different companies am i missing something???

eagle85
02-12-2008, 06:10 PM
same company

10Gauge
02-12-2008, 06:44 PM
eagle, i didn't realize they were the same company...learn something new every day! i have both chokes in my turkey choke tube "collection", too.

just curious though, i've heard negative things with respect to "comp-n-chokes" and heavier than lead shot....i guess if the person at Kick's told you it was fine to shoot "hard" shot from the comp-n-choke that tight (.658") they must have changed something....maybe the one your getting is ported???

see this link;

http://www.comp-n-choke.com/FAQ.html

DuckChaser07
02-12-2008, 08:25 PM
ScoutII,

Keep us posted on your patterning results.

Thanks.

DuckChaser07
02-12-2008, 08:28 PM
10 Gauge,

Good point on choke and smaller shot. I'll pick up some 6's and see how they fly.

Kevin

eagle85
02-12-2008, 10:34 PM
10gauge, I hear ya, I even told him about your comments, but he insisted that the .658 and the Win XR #5 was a good combination. I think I am going to try this set up and see what happens. If you want me to I can post my results. Thanks for your input.

I dont think Win XR and Hevi-shot is the same thing, are they? I may call him again to get confirmation.

eagle85
02-14-2008, 01:15 PM
10gauge,
called Kicks again and spoke w/ another individual and best I can tell is the diff in Kicks and Comp-n-choke is the metal and they way they are ported. He talked me into getting a Kicks .665 for the Win XR #5's. I am going to start w/ that load and go from there. Am going to shoot it this weekend and I will let you know.

DA

10Gauge
02-15-2008, 10:07 PM
10gauge,
called Kicks again and spoke w/ another individual and best I can tell is the diff in Kicks and Comp-n-choke is the metal and they way they are ported. He talked me into getting a Kicks .665 for the Win XR #5's. I am going to start w/ that load and go from there. Am going to shoot it this weekend and I will let you know.

Eagle, a .665" sounds like a better choice in my opinion. The Winchester Supreme Xtended Range that I'm familiar with is a High Density shot (10% denser than lead) and Hevi-Shot is also high density shot as is Remington HD....these are all "heavier than lead" loads and should be used with more open chokes than standard "lead" turkey loads. I've found .665-.675" chokes tend to work best with HighDensity shot.

keep us posted...if the end of the choke blows off you'll know the shot was too hard and/or the choke was too tight! ;)

SBEslayer
02-17-2008, 02:28 AM
hevi-shot is hard, hard as steel in fact so it will perform like steel in a full choke ie; BLOW IT UP. alot of chokes say for use with lead or hevi-shot only but that is because hevi-shot used to be soft but the formula was changed to make it hard.:eek: as far as i now all other nontoxic shot (the expensive stuff) out there is soft not as soft as lead but close enough to be shot from a full choke. hevi-shot even came out with some its called Classic Double " for your vintage double". hope this helps

Jeff

T2D2
02-18-2008, 10:55 AM
This may be a stupid question...but when looking to buy a Primos Jellyhead...is there a certain model for the Benelli SBEII? I saw some at the store yesterday that were labeled as Beretta/Benelli, but wasn't sure if this model was OK for the SBEII. If so, I guess I only need to focus on constriction size? (Not looking to damage my gun or choke this turkey season!)
I currently have a Kicks GT and after reading more thoroughly through this topic may take it back for a Jellyhead. TIA!

stmichaelalou
02-18-2008, 07:50 PM
modified stock choke with pheasant load 6's.

10Gauge
02-18-2008, 08:10 PM
This may be a stupid question...but when looking to buy a Primos Jellyhead...is there a certain model for the Benelli SBEII? I saw some at the store yesterday that were labeled as Beretta/Benelli, but wasn't sure if this model was OK for the SBEII. If so, I guess I only need to focus on constriction size? (Not looking to damage my gun or choke this turkey season!)
I currently have a Kicks GT and after reading more thoroughly through this topic may take it back for a Jellyhead. TIA!

T2,

Chokes marked Beretta/Benelli or Ber/Ben are typically MC style or "Mobil Chokes" and work in SBE's, M1S90's, Nova's but NOT in the newer SBE2 gun. The SBE2 has Crio+ chokes (CrioPlus) and these are the same choke as the Beretta Optima+ (OptimaPlus). The Crio+ choke is longer than the MC style.

Before you send the Kick's back I'd shoot it with a couple of loads.....I shoot the Kick's GT in my SBE and it shoots a great pattern with Winchester XX Magnums or Federal Turkey Loads (#5 or #6...6's are best in my gun).

stmike makes a valid point regarding #6 Pheasant loads....these are typically copper plated shotshells and tend to shoot nearly as well as turkey loads....and pheasant loads are much cheaper! The main difference, aside from finding a 3-1/2" pheasant load, is most pheasant loads are not buffered where turkey loads are. buffering helps to improve pattern performance at distances beyond 25 yards by preventing pellet deformation in tighter turkey chokes and for this reason most ammo makers use "buffered shot" in Turkey loads!

T2D2
02-19-2008, 01:43 PM
10 Gauge...thx.

I'll definately try the Kick's before taking it back and will look into the pheasant loads. One more question, will the Kick's GT .655 handle the "heavier than lead' loads ok? I finally found some Winchester Supreme XR #5's and #6's and was considering using them. Thanks for all the help fellas!

mudhen
02-19-2008, 03:22 PM
10 Gauge...thx.

I'll definately try the Kick's before taking it back and will look into the pheasant loads. One more question, will the Kick's GT .655 handle the "heavier than lead' loads ok? I finally found some Winchester Supreme XR #5's and #6's and was considering using them. Thanks for all the help fellas!

Kick's website says not for Hevi Shot. It doesn't mention XR's. Other websites like www.midwestturkeycall.com (http://www.midwestturkeycall.com) says that Kicks are ideal for XR's.

I'm thinking that XR's are not quite the same as HS. Similar, just not the same.

I'd say you are fine with Kicks and XR's. You may not like the pattern from the Kicks though, I have not liked any Kicks pattern with XR's. BUT, the best patterning gun I have ever owned was a SBE with a Kick's .660 and lead #6's. Don't even get me started on why I sold that gun :(

T2D2
02-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Mudhen...man have you been a lot of help...THANKS!

What shells would you recommend for the Kick's .655 tube? 10Gauge has said Winchester XX Magnums or Federal Turkey loads. I have also heard Winchester Supreme #5's. Any experience?

10Gauge
02-19-2008, 05:44 PM
mudhen is right XR's are high density or heavier than lead but NOT as dense as Hevi-Shot 13 for example. Not ALL HD shot is created equal....lead is around 10-11g/cc density....std Hevi-Shot (Remington) is supposed to be 11-12g/cc and Environmetal's Hevi-Shot 13 is 13g/cc. The Winchester XR actually falls between lead and the std Hevi-Shot around 11.10-11.89 from what I can find published on this product. Remington changed their Hevi-Shot a couple of years ago by lowering their density in some waterfowl loads (9-10g/cc) and it isn't as good a lead but it's better than steel!

My Kick's is a .660" and like mud say's it shoots #6 copper plated lead better than anything i've tested....it shoots 3" better than 3-1/2", too! This is my favorite combo in the SBE & might be in my SuperNova (have yet to test it). Over 50 years ago a couple of guys did some research and found 2-3/4" shells patterned better in 3" chambered guns.....and I've seen the same in my 3-1/2" guns, 3" shells pattern better than 3-1/2" in my testing.

I'd test those Win XR's in the Kick's .655" tube but i agree with mud you may get better performance with a more open choke.....something like .665" or even a .670" with #5's and "higher density" shot (has been my experience anyway). Try some good ole "inexpensive" Federal Turkey loads in 3" & 3-1/2" #6 shot, too and you might be surprised how these will perform in the Kick's .655" tube!

Mud, I wish we lived closer it would be fun getting together and comparing notes it looks as if we both have covered similar ground over the years with respect to patterning. The two gentlemen I mentioned above who tested patterns over 50 years ago put their work in print. If you have never read their work I recommend it....it's highly technical because it was "engineering" research back in the day....look for "The MYSTERIES OF SHOTGUN PATTERNS" by George G. Oberfell & Charles E. Thompson. The stuff they uncovered over a half century ago is still useful today and unfortunately their work is so obscure today that many of us are "repeating history" unnecessarily!

mudhen
02-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Mudhen...man have you been a lot of help...THANKS!

What shells would you recommend for the Kick's .655 tube? 10Gauge has said Winchester XX Magnums or Federal Turkey loads. I have also heard Winchester Supreme #5's. Any experience?

I might try Win HV copper coated lead #6's. Win XX's might be good as well. I'd like to say try Fed HW #7's, but they have a flite-control wad and are not recommended in ported chokes.

I'd go with 6's over 5's as larger shot tends to like more open constrictions.

I'd test some 3" shells first. I've heard that some folks have good luck with 3" shells in tighter chokes.

bowhntr1980
02-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Just got my jellyhead choke for my SBE II and patterned it. Tried Win HV 3.5 #5 and #6, Federal HV flight control 3.5 #5, Federal Mag-Shock flight control 3.5 #5 and #6.

Went with the Federal Mag-Shock 3.5 #6, downright awesome pattern.

Curious to how well 3" in the above loads will do. Would also like to try Hevi 13.

tdaniel377
02-25-2008, 12:10 AM
Did you get to try some of the Win Extended Range High Density 6's ?Most on here it seems have better results with those and the Jellyhead.Thats the combo my SBE likes,the Hevi 13 also does well.

bowhntr1980
02-25-2008, 01:45 PM
No, I did not get to try any Win Ex. Range yet. I hope to be able to try them and Hevi 13 before season though. I like 3.5's but have heard that 3" sometimes shoots better out of 3.5" guns. Plenty of experimeting left to do. My SBE II definitly did not like any of the high velocity loads from Win or Fed.

Nolehole
03-06-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm shootin' a kicks .665 in my SBE II. My best pattern came from a Win XR 3" #6

HUNT2HUNT
03-08-2008, 10:42 AM
so much info. Bought the Kicks .655 for my SBE2. Read so much on this site,I was about to return it today for a jellyhead. Now I have no idea what to keep.

Spur Collector
03-08-2008, 08:55 PM
so much info. Bought the Kicks .655 for my SBE2. Read so much on this site,I was about to return it today for a jellyhead. Now I have no idea what to keep.

Keep that Kicks... That's what my buddy shoots in his SBEII and it is great. I believe you will like it. He shoots Winchester Supremes and loves it. I've seen several big toms die in front of it.

Clutch91
03-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Hey y'all, just bought my first turkey choke from kicks. It's a gt .670 and I'm kinda iffy about if I really want to use a choke that size or go tighter. Can anyone tell me if I can pattern the choke and still sEnd it back if I don't like it??

fikester
03-30-2011, 05:31 PM
If you got the Kicks Gobblin Thunder.....Kicks web site says not recommended for steel or Hevi-shot, would keep that in mind.

FISH-ON
04-06-2011, 05:58 PM
So what the best choke & ammo to use on a SBEII using open sights for turkey? Thoughts....

1idrod
04-15-2011, 07:52 PM
I'm waiting on my supernova and its on backorder from local gunshop and I'm looking for a choke also. I've read all the posts about chokes and haven't seen anything about hevi-shot choke's. Has anyone tried them? By the way I'm the new guy. Thanks, David