Shotgun kit by Beartooth

malakaz

I was looking for a nice cover for my gun to help with surface rust while hunting for waterfowl. I came across these on Cabelas website.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=pod&cmCat=MainCatcat602007-cat601047-cat601049&id=0009224

Has anyone used it or does anyone think itll protect the barrel from the water? They are neoprene so i thought it would help with the water.

If you aren't careful, you will actually get more rust using this cover. Moisture will get under it, as it is not a full cover. Make it a point to remove the neoprene and turn it inside out after hunting in the rain, at the end of the day. Wipe down your gun with a dry rag, and then put a light coat of oil, or gun grease on the metal before replacing the cover.:)

Good luck with your Hunting!

It's cool if you want to camo up your gun, and cut down on the glare, but if you are really trying to fight rust, this isn't the best way to go.

Have you ever thought about having your gun dipped in camo? Gander Mtn. has very reasonable prices on this service. Just as info

How much do they charge by the way?

Why is the barrel rusting? If it is dried and then oiled, it won't rust. I do not get where this rust is coming from. Any gun that I ever saw that had a rust problem was from lack of maintenance. If you wipe it down and clean thoroughly when you get home, it should not rust, ever.

not all guns are made for water or worst yet salt water. After being in the rain and salt water all day regardless if you wipe your gun down and oil it there might be some wear on it. I always wipe my gun once i get to the car and have oil wipes in the car as well then when i get home i fully clean it, but there is one or two surface rust spots on the barrel. Its not a maintenance issue i can assure you that.

I plead the fifth on the salt water issue. Never had to deal with it. I have dealt with Wisconsin winters and snow and rain, for forty some years of hunting, without rusty parts. I guess the salt is your problem. Sorry I was of no help.. Not much salt water in this neck of the woods. Good luck in finding a solution... Mike