Lots of use, first issue on my M1

Westro

My father and I own a boat load of Benellis, M1s, M2s, Ultralights, one Cordoba and one SBEII. Very, very few issues with Benelli and that is why we continue to buy them.

But this last weekend I had an issue with my older Super 90 M1, its a 21 inch, 1 shot extended magazine gun (Tom K.'s). South Dakota I keep 3 shots in the mag (none in the chamber) and then use the bottom button to put a shell below the bolt and then I cycle a shell into the chamber. Then put a shell back into the mag.

But 4 times rooster presents itself and there is nothing, but a shell gets moved from the mag to below the bolt and the bolt doesn't cycle. I can cycle the shell out and everything is fine. The bolt is closed and I hunted this way, with this gun hard on pheasants for 9 years! I'm a seasoned hunter and avid Benelli owner, but this one has got me baffled. I went as far as pulling EVERYTHING apart to still have the same issue. My first thought was the firing pin, but after inspection it isn't bent/broke.

Any ideas as to what maybe going on? Of course I took it apart and cleaned it, verified everything and still got the same thing the next day 1 time. Fed up I simply moved to my 20 gauge Ultra Light.

In short, my failure is simply when I pull the trigger I don't get a bang and I get a shell moved from the mag to below the bolt.

I have a couple of M1's and I had one that may have been doing what you're talking about. If I understand the problem, you have a shell in the chamber but when you pull the trigger it doesn't fire.

In mine, I found that the recoil spring had lost some of it's oomph. When I would manually cycle a round into the chamber, the bolt would go forward but the locking head would not fully rotate and lock into the barrel, causing it to be just ever so slightly out of battery. You had to look close to see the difference in how the locking head was rotating. The firing pin would then not be able to go forward fully and contact the firing pin. It even happened a couple of times when the gun fired. It would shoot, cycle and then go click. I ended up changing out the recoil tube/spring assembly and I also changed out the original blued locking head with a chrome one. I have never had the problem since.

If you're looking to unload that 21" M1, let me know. That's my pheasant/skeet/sporting clays gun and I sure would like another. I've been looking for another 21 inch barrel for a while now but haven't had any luck but I'd buy a whole gun in a heartbeat.

REALLY sounds like what is going on. We had some issues with my fathers M2, and the help some of his issues Tom Knapp was shooting with us and he suggested we put a SBE spring in it. Fixed my fathers issues.

The failure does really feel like it isn't into battery. Frankly I like my M1 a little better over my M2, father likes his M2 over his M1. For some reason I brought my Ultra Light as a backup this weekend. And my father brought his Beretta Pintail as a backup, so it was bad decisions on both our parts.

And this M1 I bought it new with a 24 inch and bought a 21 inch barrel for it as all 4 (M1, M2s) we have, have 21 inch barrels now. So my dad and I look kind of 'short' but the guys we shoot with call them 'street sweepers'.

I got a new SBEII spring laying around, will that fit my M1?

I think it depends on the vintage of the gun. If you go to SureCycle's website and look at their replacement tubes/springs for Benelli's, you can figure out which ones are interchangable by serial number.

I don't have a M2 but I have 4 M1's. Each one a little different.

1 21" VR gun - primary

1 19.5 inch rifle sights - extra

1 19.5 inch ghost ring sights - competition

1 14 inch entry gun - house gun

If you have an extra 21" barrel you want to unload, or know somewhere that has one in your neighborhood, let me know. I want to put it on the gun that has rifle sights as a backup to my primary gun.

Edited by truckcop