Nova bolt opens slightly when fired

BaltoCoHunter

I've been using an 870 wingmaster for the past 25 years so it is my only point of reference. Bought a Nova on Friday and tried it out this weekend. Shot a few light dove loads and I noticed that when firing the bolt throws back about a 1/4 inch and the chamber is slightly open. I never noticed this on my 870. What will happen when I shoot a high velocity magnum 3 1/2" shell? Is this normal and is there anything I need to be concerned about?

I've been using an 870 wingmaster for the past 25 years so it is my only point of reference. Bought a Nova on Friday and tried it out this weekend. Shot a few light dove loads and I noticed that when firing the bolt throws back about a 1/4 inch and the chamber is slightly open. I never noticed this on my 870. What will happen when I shoot a high velocity magnum 3 1/2" shell? Is this normal and is there anything I need to be concerned about?

Normal. After your Nova is broken-in it will eject 3 1/2 shells if you don't hold the action forward.

Congrats, you have bought a tank.

This is by design...Think of it as a pump gun with the heart, (bolt) of a semi-auto...It makes the process smooth and short. I was shooting 3.5" magnum buckshot all day Saturday, (literally) at a local Pumpkin Shoot and the softness of the otherwise violent round was testament to the design of the SuperNova Tactical...It's an insanely nice gun. I was shooting the 3.5's so quickly, (and efficiently), that some thought I had a semi-auto - it's that good.