M4 titanium magazine installation

frolic1

I just ordered a full length titanium mag tube and spring from Kip at Carriercomp. Judging from the number of posts on this I would expect that there are many on this board that have installed this mag tube from Kip. I just wondered how easy the installation was. Is it hard getting the old tube off? (I have a new M4). Is a heat gun required? Does the new tube come with complete installation instructions? Are any special tools needed?

I just ordered a full length titanium mag tube and spring from Kip at Carriercomp. Judging from the number of posts on this I would expect that there are many on this board that have installed this mag tube from Kip. I just wondered how easy the installation was. Is it hard getting the old tube off? (I have a new M4). Is a heat gun required? Does the new tube come with complete installation instructions? Are any special tools needed?

Hi Frolic, Yes you'll need a heat gun. Mine took about 15 minutes of heat to release all the way but I was bringing the heat up slowly. Here's a copy of the instructions in this thread:

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17726

Take Care,

Hookster :)

Yeah, mine released a little at a time. It was a kind of "heat/turn a little/heat/turn a little" process till it was about 1/3 of the way out a which point it unscrewed the rest of the way fairly easily.

Hookster :)

Same here ... And I really could have used a pipe wrench or something to get a better grip on the magazine. Leather-palmed gloves weren't cutting it; and my thin latex pot holders (kind of sticky, so I figured they'd grip well) were melting and falling apart.

I took a lot of baloney for mentioning it here, but I had purchased an inexpensive strap wrench for a plumping project about the same time and it came in quite handy. Kip commented that he has used one as well. NOT REQUIRED but it makes it go quickly if you have one kicking around. You'll need the heat gun for sure.

Slip ring pliers are also required to remove/ replace the spring retainer properly.

Edited by BigHat

I used a borrowed Craftsman Heat Gun. It was a nice one with a dial on the back to precisely adjust the heat output. I used a cheap pair of Sears welding gloves and had no problem unscrewing it by hand. Once it was up to temp it unscrewed slowly as the thread lock was thick and gooey. After it cooled the thread locker broke off really easy with a nylon brush. I did not need to use any solvent or acetone.

i followed Kip's directions and some of everyone elses. The strap wrench I got (Rubber) wouldnt bite, so I ended up putting it in a vice and using the rubber jar openers and oily rags which did the trick after applying the heat gun. You can get one for like $25 at home depot.

Only advice I would give is if you use a vice, put wooden blocks on the receiver. Like an idiot I didnt and the teeth chewed off some of the cammo finish. Lesson learned.

Kips tube is great, did he ever make the titanium charging handles? I know he was spec'ing it out, and was finishing up the rails.

• 3 weeks later...