1911 choices

Renault

I wouldn't buy a 1911. Period. Been there, done that, they just don't impress me. Sure, they look great, and WHEN they work, they work great, but it's too much of a crap-shoot. I have owned 1911's from a $1800 Les Baer to a $4,000+ Supergrade Wilson Combat. None of them ran right. I just don't like them.

I wouldn't buy a 1911. Period. Been there, done that, they just don't impress me. Sure, they look great, and WHEN they work, they work great, but it's too much of a crap-shoot. I have owned 1911's from a $1800 Les Baer to a $4,000+ Supergrade Wilson Combat. None of them ran right. I just don't like them.

What you Working with ? or your recommendations on handguns?

For some reason I just can't believe that statement is 100% truthful. 1) You are 23 years old, and I've never known a 23 year old to have $4,000 for a pistol, 2) if you ever had the money and went to the trouble of waiting 6 months to a year for a Wilson Supergrade to be built for you, at one time you loved the 1911, and 3) Wilson simply does not deliver a Supergrade that doesn't "run" right. Your statement sounds like one from a classic 1911 hater (or an immature kid), and there are plenty of you out there. Either you don't know how to operate a semi-auto, or you've never actually owned either of the two pistols that you mentioned.

Anyway, the 1911 is my passion. I won't even go into how many different models I have, because most of you probably wouldn't believe me. I will say that I have several Kimbers, and I just purchased my last one a couple of weeks ago. It arrived with a poor fit and finish with multiple cosmetic issues, and Kimber was less than helpful in resolving the issues. Kimber's quality problems are well documented, and its build quality and customer service have really declined over the last couple of years. A few years ago Kimber made the finest production 1911 out there, but that is no longer the case. Do some reading on m1911.org forums. That's where you should be asking for a recommendation, not on a shotgun forum.

Owning several different 1911 models in the price range you gave, I would purchase another Springfield TRP. The quality on both of my TRP's are second to none, and the slide to frame fit is as good as any Nighthawk, Wilson, or Yost custom that I've ever seen. The TRP really is a bargain for what you get, if those are the features you want. It's a combat style pistol and deviates somewhat from the classic 1911 design. It really depends on what your tastes are. The main drawback to the TRP is the 20lpi machined front strap checkering, which is a little rough. Some people tolerate it, others send it back to Springfield to have it smoothed down a little.

Check out m1911.org. You'll learn all you ever wanted to know about the 1911. Good luck with your search.

Edited by quickbiscuit

Heckler & Koch took the 1911 and looked to make improvements on it. Then they made the HK USP 45. ;) After years of carrying 1911's in one form or another, I finally found the perfect 45ACP for me - the Germans nailed it.

Seriously though, I love 1911's. I can accurately remember and name each one I owned since I was 21. My first was a 1913 Colt - my last was a ParaOrd Covert Carry 6.45 LDA. In between were various full and compact frames and I loved them all - but never enough to keep them forever. I'm going to have my last 1911 custom built by a local evil genius here in Massachusetts. I was in his shop only yesterday and cannot believe the beautiful guns he builds at a superbly competitive price. He's too small to be flooded with orders, so if anyone wants his contact info, drop me a PM.

As to Kimber - they are nice guns to be sure, but not as nice as they used to be. Do a search on Kimber - you'll see some that are less than pleased with some corner-cutting that seems to be spreading like a plague through the firearms industry. I have been really impressed with some of the 1911's coming out of Smith and Wesson - especially the Performance Center. I shot one over the weekend and it was a laser beam. By the way, I picked out my frame and slide for my build. It's going to be a 10mm Commander. Stainless, match barrel, chainlink strap, black grips...I will likely keep this one forever, as I am building it from the ground up. Which brings me to my last point: Consider building one yourself. Slide/barrel fitting is the only mystery and that can be done professionally. the rest you can do yourself, (and I'm mechanically retarded)...You can pick and choose the best parts one at a time and buid yourself something you can hand down. That's my plan...

ive been shooting 1911's for 30yrs w/ never a problem. i shoot a raced out kimber. but lately kimbers quality is starting to fall. try "fusion firearms". bob serva is making very well made, quality, custom highend 1911's. his customer service is outstanding. he was the president or something building guns for other manufacturers. now he's building his own. just like kimber, wilson and les baer started out. good luck

Great suggestion...TS. I stand on custom builds as well. They are not as expensive as everyone thinks. For example: Stainless Commander frame: $175.00 Sure it all ads up from there, but you can ideally build a gun custom suited to you for about the same price, (maybe even cheaper) than an off-the-shelf. For those who insist on Kimber, follow TS's advice and do a search on "Kimber quality issues" or "Kimber MIM"...See what pops up. LIke TS, the builder out here worked at S&W for many years. He really is an evil genius with firearms and lives, breathes and poops 1911's... If anyone wants his info - just ask.

Although this is a benelli forums i figure you guys would still have good opinions on choices for other guns. With a budget of around 1250 dollars, what would be your choice of 1911 and why?

I think the best 1911 for your budget will be a Dan Wesson valor.

The only issue is that it's very difficult to find as they only make 200 each year.

For some reason I just can't believe that statement is 100% truthful. 1) You are 23 years old, and I've never known a 23 year old to have $4,000 for a pistol, 2) if you ever had the money and went to the trouble of waiting 6 months to a year for a Wilson Supergrade to be built for you, at one time you loved the 1911, and 3) Wilson simply does not deliver a Supergrade that doesn't "run" right. Your statement sounds like one from a classic 1911 hater (or an immature kid), and there are plenty of you out there. Either you don't know how to operate a semi-auto, or you've never actually owned either of the two pistols that you mentioned.

PM sent...

Edited by Unobtanium

Although this is a benelli forums i figure you guys would still have good opinions on choices for other guns. With a budget of around 1250 dollars, what would be your choice of 1911 and why?

I have had good luck with S&W and with Colt. I have used my Colt for 20 years and never had a problem with the weapon. Now magazines will give you problems so don't buy junk. You get what you pay for and with 1911 magazines that is the one thing I have found to be true. Chip McCormick and Wilson magazines have always worked great for me. I never leave them loaded for more than a month and rotate them. I use a color code on the bottom of the magazine to show which ones to use.

Find ammo that you like and the weapon likes. They all seem to run on 230 gr FMJ, but most will run on more than that.

I used a 1911 while in the military and have carried my old Colt for years. I would stake my life on it, and in time I may the S&W but not until it has fired 500-1000 rounds. It is only 2 months from birth so it has to earn respect.

Have fun..... get friends to let you shoot their guns, and ask questions. I also shoot 45 acp out of S&W 625's and find them fun too.

Art

With a $1250 budget I would look at the HK45 and a case of ammo. When I change platforms it takes me 3-500 rounds to become as good with the new platform as I was with the old when it comes to pistols normally. Each person is different though, but I suggest running 2-300 rounds through WHATEVER you buy to test for reliability. I have uncovered lots of problems this way that I never would have known about had I just dumped a few mags and called it good. Spend the money to test the platform.

Edited by Unobtanium

thanks for all the feedback everyone. i've shot my friends SW many times and it doesn't seem to have many problems. next time i go to the range i'll try renting an HK .45 and see how it feels. i don't have the largest of hands so one of the things i liked about the single stack 1911's is that it fits my hand's very well, slightly less of a good fit than my CZ which i feel fits my hand like it was part of it.

as far as aesthetically i think the TRP or Operator really catches my eye, i've once rented a kimber and it shot well, but i have heard many issues about their recent quality. i'll do some actually renting at my local range before i make a decision... but i think i'll narrow it down to the springfield TRP (since springfield is who had a predisposition towards anywho) and checking out an HK

also if you guys want to PM me the information of someone who could build me a nice custom built for 1250 or less if you could inform me that would be grand. thanks again everyone

Guest McDaddy

I've had them all; from $400 - $4000 (and yes, I can afford them). Just like ALL types of working machinery, some work great and some don't. Between me, my dad, my brother, and my son, we have 14 1911's. My Springfield MicroCompact and STI Spartan eat anything I feed them...period. The others we have include Kimbers, S&W, Colts, Les Baers, and Wilson. It's Ford or Chevy; buy the one you like, the one you can afford, and the one that feels good in your hand.

I've had them all; from $400 - $4000 (and yes, I can afford them). Just like ALL types of working machinery, some work great and some don't. Between me, my dad, my brother, and my son, we have 14 1911's. My Springfield MicroCompact and STI Spartan eat anything I feed them...period. The others we have include Kimbers, S&W, Colts, Les Baers, and Wilson. It's Ford or Chevy; buy the one you like, the one you can afford, and the one that feels good in your hand.

I am still amused about the "affording" comment forst made, but I have found that Wilsons, are a lot less "rough" than Baers and they don't require a small team and a metal bushing to take apart.

Guest McDaddy

It was a little 'testy' of me to add the "afford" comment in my post, but here's my beef. It's nobody's business what someone can or cannot afford, so I just threw it in. As some of you know, I left this site because a couple of guys took it a little far and then I was welcomed back by all. My point is, just support each other and our passion of owning and using guns. :D And I agree the Wilson is smoother, but honestly, my $600 STI is the smoothest shooter I have.

It was a little 'testy' of me to add the "afford" comment in my post, but here's my beef. It's nobody's business what someone can or cannot afford, so I just threw it in. As some of you know, I left this site because a couple of guys took it a little far and then I was welcomed back by all. My point is, just support each other and our passion of owning and using guns. :D And I agree the Wilson is smoother, but honestly, my $600 STI is the smoothest shooter I have.

I just found it ignorant/asinine considering I have posted pictures of my stuff on here, some systems that which came out to over $3500MSRP before and found it childish to call me out on being 23 and supposedly not being able to afford something a couple hundred bucks more than the stuff I have already shown you guys.

Also, I found the mentality that a well-built, uber-expensive 1911 not being able to fail to be absurd. Been there, done that, got the refund to prove it.

However, if I needed or wanted another 1911, I would go with Wilson Combat, hands down. They shipped it back and forth on 2 occasions on THEIR dime, both ways (4 trips at $90 a trip) to fix things they had done wrong on it and to re-attatch the rear-sight, which they finally changed out in favor of their old-school press-fit sight instead of the one they started using recently as it kept sliding out of alignment. That didn't solve all the issues it was having, but that's besides the point. Wilson stood behind their product up unto and including the refund. I was impressed GREATLY with them and my dealer.

Guest McDaddy

Unobt...Hey man, I'm not calling you out; heck, I support you. My son is 22 and plays golf for Titleist; his bank is much larger than mine. Crap, he pays $350 bucks for tailored pants...buy all you can while you can.

well i'm a 23 year old grad student, my books/tuition took most of my money and my income is via internship so unfortunately i can only put aside so much from each paycheck. i could wait longer and just save up more... but i really want another gun, i guess it's a little shop therapy to ease my stress. If i were to check out the HK's is it just the HK model or the USP that you are suggesting unob? and i'll check out wilson combat as well and dan wesson

Edited by Renault

Renault - I'll go out on a limb here and suggest you not buy a 1911 - right now anyway. I really think you should plan on one down the road, when time and money are less of an issue. In my eyes, the 1911 is a work of art - still relevant even today and something I think every shooter should experience. I still stand by my suggestion of building one - rather than buying one off the shelf. I would do it however, after you have some miles under your belt on the range.

If you must have a .45ACP, I think you cannot go wrong with an HK USP45 or an HK45. You'll get a lot of people suggesting everything from Glocks, to Sigs, M&P's and beyond...I have plenty of trigger time on all of them and keep coming back to the Heckler and Koch. There are certain advantages to the HK - among them is the fact that they are robust, stupidly accurate, easy to maintain, battle tested and uber-reliable. It's a 1994 design which is still being produced for a reason: It works and works superbly.

My gut tells me that you should actually be looking into an HK USP9 for all of the reasons listed above, with the addition of cost effective, yet powerful ammunition to train, learn and shoot with. The old "9mm vs 45ACP" arguments are not only dated, but largely irrelevant - especially with today's 9mm offerings. Ammo cost is nearly half of the .45ACP and you also pick up higher capacity magazines and less muzzle control issues. Folks will also chime in with the: "get a .40 S&W", but I'm going to advise against it. The only value I see in a .40 S&W, is the ability to convert it into a .357 Sig. I have thousands of rounds of .40 under my belt and my impressions of it - while unpopular with the .40 fanboys, are based on experience and research. It is a compromise round - developed after some FBI personnel complained that the 10mm was too hard to shoot. It may look good on paper ballistically, but that's about it. Your ammo cost will go up, power gains will be marginal, muzzle flip will be greater, training and proficiency will come more slowly. The best part of my now long gone Glock 22, was the day I put a .357 Sig barrel in it - the second best part of my Glock 22, was when I sold it...

For the budget you have given, I would immediately go out and buy an HK USP9, a case of ammo and a Ruger Mark II .22 pistol - every serious shooter should have a .22 pistol. Save your fancy of a 1911 when things clear and some range time is behind you...Good luck!

BTW - in support of Unobtanium, by the time I was 23, I had a gun collection and the trigger time behind it that would make most people's head spin. I got my first rifle and pistol, (Ruger 10/22 Ruger Mark II) for my 16th Birthday. By the time I was 23, I was 4-deep into Class 3 and had more pistols - 1911's included that I could reasonably hope to shoot...At 44, I'm a little less well heeled in my firearms collection, (time, tides, family, 1/2 a year in Africa), but in my 20's, spent nearly all my available funds on....guns...okay and chicks...okay and beer....

Edited by MassMark