Pattern Testing

Unobtanium

Well, the winner was the Federal 2.75 Vital Shock OOO 8-pellet buckshot load using the MOD choke. It threw very even patterns.

25m the pattern was all 8-pelelts inside 12.5"

40m 1 pellet made it off the test-target and the rest (7) were evenly spread over a maximum span of 17"

At 55m, 6 out of the 8 pellets were still on-target inside a 23" span, distributed evenly.

Considering that a torso is defined as 19" across by the military, out to 40m this load is DEVESTATING, and out to 55m+, it would be a fight stopper.

At 25m, I feel confident that all 8 pellets would hit the target if the individual was facing towards me.

I will test this load some more at a later date with an IMOD choke to see if the pattern can be tightened even more.

*Test weapon was M4S90 w/Briley MOD choke. All distances were paced off by my, and my measured error is usually 10 paces at 400m and within 1-3m at 100m. However, since a hill was involved this time, all distances are +-3m I would confidently claim.

** Just because a pellet made it off the test-target does not mean it "went totally wild", sometimes the pattern was only 3-4" from the edge of the target and thus the pattern may only be a few inches larger for the missing pellet.

Edited by Unobtanium

Thanks for the test report! I picked up 10 boxes of the Federal 000 at a show a while back but haven't shot any of it yet but I'll take some to the range to test against some other loads. Did you try out the Tac-8? and if so, how did it perform?

Hookster :)

The Tac-8 was less than stellar. At 40 yards the span was larger than the Federal OOO, and the distribution was pure crap. Two sets of 4 pellets clumped, one at the top of the target, one at the bottom. Epic fail imho.

Yeah that doesn't sound so good. I expected a little better results from something that they market towards LE professionals. Did it clump like that every time? I'll let you know if I get similar results.

Later,

Hookster :)

I only went off of one shot, and if that one shot was good, I tested further. Since its first shot eliminated it from the running, I did not bother.

What I'm curious about is the energy at impact over extended ranges. I'm not entirely convinced that at ranges too far above 25m the pellets carry enough energy to be a true fight stopper...Perhaps a fight interrupter, but without accurate energy-at-impact data, I'm not banking on a shotgun for anything but CQB. I could of course be wrong, but am in the process of finding out. I will be doing some extensive testing of shotgun rounds with the help of people who know far more than I. The details as of yet are not finalized, but stay tuned...

Nice report!

What I'm curious about is the energy at impact over extended ranges. I'm not entirely convinced that at ranges too far above 25m the pellets carry enough energy to be a true fight stopper...Perhaps a fight interrupter, but without accurate energy-at-impact data, I'm not banking on a shotgun for anything but CQB. I could of course be wrong, but am in the process of finding out. I will be doing some extensive testing of shotgun rounds with the help of people who know far more than I. The details as of yet are not finalized, but stay tuned...

Nice report!

Hold, and I will post some #'s for you.

Thanks man - will be a big help. Trying to compile as much data as possible. Going to turn a bunch of stuff into some folks at MIT soon and try and see if I can get a few deep-thinkers with some electronic measuring goodies to help me out with this....

All you need is the BC for a sphere the size of buckshot and the initial velocity and you can calculate anything you want.

It took me FOREVER to get the accurate B/C and correct drag-factors and all that jazz for this, but here is OOO, OO, and #4 buckshot

at 20 yards, the 8 pellets I launched impacted with 1616# of energy.

At this same distance, a load of 9-pellet OO Buck would impart 1359# of energy, and

#4 buck, if all 27 pellets managed to hit, would impart 1458# of energy.

Stepping back to 40 yards, assuming a 10% attrition-rate of pellets, 90% of the payload (rounded down to the nearest pellet)

of OOO would impart 1141# of energy.

OO would impart 968# of energy.

#4 buck would impart 1008# of energy (90% on-target with #4 at 40 yards is a pipe-dream though, imho).

At any rate, the military has determined that 58# of energy is the minimal "effective" amount of energy to disable a man. I have nothing more to say about that, except minimal seems like a hyperbole here.

As you can see, out to 40 yards, the energy dumped on-target is around 1,000#, which is pretty impressive. However, looking at the INDIVIDUAL projectile energy is key, as that will disclose penetration potential, etc.

2l87u4o.jpg

Edited by Unobtanium