New to the M4

Sarge133

Hi all, new guy here.

I am currently looking into picking up an M4 with the money I got refunded from college. This will be my first Benelli and my second shotgun (first was an 870). I plan to use it as a HD/Hunting shotgun. However I have a few questions.

As this will be my first Semiauto Shotgun, how is the relability?

Where/how can I find the collapsable stock for this?

Are there any 6 shell sidesaddles for it?

I want to install a magazine extention, I plan to buy one from SOCOMguy here on these forums. How hard is it to remove the existing magazine tube?

And finally, for all those fellow folks from Michigan, is it legal to hunt with an magazine extention installed on a semi-auto (or any) shotgun?

Hi all, new guy here.

I am currently looking into picking up an M4 with the money I got refunded from college. This will be my first Benelli and my second shotgun (first was an 870). I plan to use it as a HD/Hunting shotgun. However I have a few questions.

Flawless with anything 2.75 dram and heavier in my experience. I have owned 3 M4's and they have all performed flawless and all patterned VERY well and shot buck and slug to the same POA.

On sites like this. They will run you from $6-900 depending on the alignment of the moon.

Yes, but steer clear of the Mesa and get one that is attatched to the side with 3M tape or something. Don't go screwing things into the reciever. It's full of fail.

I want to install a magazine extention, I plan to buy one from SOCOMguy here on these forums. How hard is it to remove the existing magazine tube?

It is very easy. SOCOMguy's tube is great, but I am a huge fan of Kip's as it is corrosion proof and roughly 1/2 the weight without sacrificing strength. Either tube you buy will kick ass though. To remove the old tube, apply CLP to the threaded portion. Then get a heat-gun ($15) and heat the tube/reciever up around these threads. When the CLP begins to smoke off, QUICKLY unscrew the tube. It will move maybe 1/4-1/3" at a time and takes a manly grip, but no strap-wrench is needed. If you have the balls to change a tire, you have the balls to do this, strenght-wise, without any tools aside from the heat-gun. After it stops turning this means the adhesive solidified fully again. Repeat the heating process until the CLP starts smoking and go at it again. Do this as many times as is necessary. The CLP is there only because its smoke-point is almost identical to the temp needed to release the adhesive. It serves no purpose except as an indicator of how hot things are/need to be. Whatever you do, order the spring for the mag from Kip. His spring is the only one I know of that works well with the full-length tube.

And finally, for all those fellow folks from Michigan, is it legal to hunt with an magazine extention installed on a semi-auto (or any) shotgun?

I am not from Michigan, sorry.

Hi all, new guy here.

Hi Sarge, and welcome to the forum!

I'll just give some quick answers

Reliability=I don't think you'll see too much argument if I rate the M4 as the most reliable semi-auto shotgun made

Collapsable stock=there are usually some on Gunbroker often around $800 here's one of a few currently on there

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=147059778

Mesa makes 6 shell side-saddles but there have been issues with then stripping receiver holes

http://www.mesatactical.com/index.php?id=56

Removing the factory mag tube isn't too bad with a good heatgun here are instructions in post #2 of this thread

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17726

There's no longer a long wait for the titanium full length tubes from Kip at Carriercomp. You might want to check them out too

http://www.shop.carriercomp.com/

As for Michigan hunting laws your on your own. I'm a CA guy.

Later,

Hookster :)

Edited by Hookster

UNO and HOOKSTA, do the mesa side saddles really tear up the existing top receiver screw holes that much? and why? TS

I recall a couple of posts with people unhappy due to receiver holes getting stripped. In one case if I recall correctly, the sidesaddle fell off while the person was shooting. I believe the theory was the weight of the shells and perhaps an optic on the rail put too much stress on the screws while under recoil. I think that if no loc-tite was used and the screws had loosened up a little that it might add to the stress on the receiver. I'm sure lots of people have had zero problems but some have. I'll see if I can track down the thread. It was a while back so I may not be remembering everything correctly.

Later,

Thanks for all the great replies everyone.

I have seen Kip's Titanium tubes, I just am unsure about the strength and durability as my only experience with titanium is the slabs on my Leatherman Charge.

So pretty much sidesaddles are out of the question when it comes to M4s?

Also, just another question I had pop up in my head while I was out researching. Tritium Night Sights, is there any for the ghost rings on the M4?

Another question, I am thinking about mounting a flashlight on the shotgun for when something goes bump in the night. I own a Fenix LD20 but I am willing to spend roughly $100-$120 on a new flashlight and a mount for the shotgun. Reccomend me something?

Thank you everyone, I have asked these same questions at many other forums only to be chewed out about being a newbie and never owning a Benelli before. My simple reply is "I'm 20, in college, working minimum wage at McDonald's. No I don't have a Benelli, I lucked out and got my 870 on sale brand new with a mag extention for $250"

Also, are there any LEO's on here? I am curious because I am currently studying Criminal Justice in order to hopefully become a police officer.

How would this shotgun serve as a duty shotgun?

The Sidearmor shell carrier is the way to go. The spring loaded ball bearing detent system is easier to insert and remove the shells from and will never take a set. I wasn't a fan of the Mesa unit. It was so hard to insert shells that I avoided using it during shoots. It would take two hands to load. I modified mine to be easier by lightly trimming the inner rubber tube.

If you intend to start slapping all this stuff on, weight is a huge issue. Get Kips tube. Consider that every shotgun shell you add to the weapon is around 2 ounces of extra weight you will be carrying. So 8 rounds in the weapon is a pound. If you add 6 more, that's another 12 ounces. Just be mindful of the weights and balance.

I would use the Sidearmor top rail with the shell carrier. Its redeeming value is the barrel mount. This adds stability to the top rail and will prevent you from stripping the fine threads from your receiver. It only carries 4 rounds. However, the carrier itself is 4 ounces. Plus 4 rounds. So you're back to 12 additional ounces to lug. If you want more rounds, consider a buttstock nylon carrier from Spectre Gear. Even if you're not using it, it adds very little weight and it is out of the way.

Thanks for all the great replies everyone.

I have seen Kip's Titanium tubes, I just am unsure about the strength and durability as my only experience with titanium is the slabs on my Leatherman Charge.

If you damage the Ti tube, your gun will be trashed along with it most likely. They are tough. Period.

So pretty much sidesaddles are out of the question when it comes to M4s?

Yeah, pretty much.

Also, just another question I had pop up in my head while I was out researching. Tritium Night Sights, is there any for the ghost rings on the M4?

Meprolite makes some and they kick ass. I just put a set on mine.

Another question, I am thinking about mounting a flashlight on the shotgun for when something goes bump in the night. I own a Fenix LD20 but I am willing to spend roughly $100-$120 on a new flashlight and a mount for the shotgun. Reccomend me something?

Surefire 6PD + Malkoff M60 will do great and come in right on top of your projected budget. Then just get any mag-tube clamp and slap it on. There really is no GREAT way to mount it to an M4, sadly.

Thank you everyone, I have asked these same questions at many other forums only to be chewed out about being a newbie and never owning a Benelli before. My simple reply is "I'm 20, in college, working minimum wage at McDonald's. No I don't have a Benelli, I lucked out and got my 870 on sale brand new with a mag extention for $250"

Also, are there any LEO's on here? I am curious because I am currently studying Criminal Justice in order to hopefully become a police officer.

How would this shotgun serve as a duty shotgun?

The M4S90 does great, LAPD ordered a ton of them, the ONLY concern I have seen raised is the fact that breeching rounds won't cycle the action and that is the primary purpose of an entry shotgun, also, the long aluminum reviever can "supposedly" be bent and cause jamming if you slam it in a doorway or something, however, the USMC has not had this issue that I am aware of and I have never heard of an M4 doing this before, it is mainly something talked about with the M1's, but I don't know how their recievers differ. I might look at one sometime and see if the M4 is considerably better. Either way, not somehting I would worry with. I sold my last M4 to a cop and bought a collapsible stock from a cop who is on the SWAT team in Jersey. He loves his M4's.

Just buy it. You won't regret.

Mounting a light on a M4 is not easy and not cheap either. Developing how you intend to activate it is the biggest hurdle. Particularly if you intend to use the light in a momentary fashion.

The best mounting solutions revolve around the Sidearmor rail mount. Most other options that replace the hand guard obstruct your support hand placement.

Meprolights are excellent night sights for the M4. They provide tritium for the rear ghost ring sight also. You'll need a 5.5mm open ended wrench to replace the front sight.

You could use double sided tape for a shell carrier. It might work okay with a cheapie from Tacstar. I would opt for the buttstock carrier on a budget.

Thanks guys, if I could, I'd go out and buy it tomorrow. But right now it's looking like I won't be able to get it until Feb.

I was looking at the Sidearmor Rails, and you bring up a great point, weight. I have held this gun alot, and it is fairly lightweight. However, the sidearmor rails look like they add quite alot of weight for an extended top rail, 4rd sidesaddle, and a single short rail on the side to put a light on.

I plan to just put an Aimpoint T-1 or a Trijicon RMR on it for a simple red dot. I cannot see myself putting anything more than one of those on it for a sight, if any at all. So I don't know if I need that much rail.

Don't get me wrong, I love rails just as much as the next guy, but I am used to shotguns that only hold 6+1. So this 7+1 M4 will be a new experience for me.

As for the Meprolight sights, do they have the white ring around the vials for daylight shooting?

So far as it is looking, this is how I will start off on my M4:

Benelli M4

Kip Ti Magazine Tube

Meprolight Night Sights

Aimpoint T-1

Mounting a light on a M4 is not easy and not cheap either. Developing how you intend to activate it is the biggest hurdle. Particularly if you intend to use the light in a momentary fashion.

The best mounting solutions revolve around the Sidearmor rail mount. Most other options that replace the hand guard obstruct your support hand placement.

Meprolights are excellent night sights for the M4. They provide tritium for the rear ghost ring sight also. You'll need a 5.5mm open ended wrench to replace the front sight.

You could use double sided tape for a shell carrier. It might work okay with a cheapie from Tacstar. I would opt for the buttstock carrier on a budget.

9 rounds really should be enough without messing with a side-rail, JMHO.

As to the light, B&T makes a simple 1-rail mount for the M3X (should also work with the X300) that attatches to the mag-tube. Remove it every time you clean the gun, but hey. It's cheap and works.

I like the sidearmor rail except for the fact that barrel harmonics are transferred to the holes in the reciever by nature of the design. Lest you think barrel harmonics are negligable, look at the inside of your M4's reciever where the barrel-tang is. It has worn the ano. off via vibration. I don't want that hitting the threads on that reciever, hence why I did not go with the SA rail. Maybe it doesn't matter, but the logic against it is sound. Anything that clamps to the barrel and is then bolted to the reciever is going to be hitting those threads with vibration.

Thanks guys, if I could, I'd go out and buy it tomorrow. But right now it's looking like I won't be able to get it until Feb.

I was looking at the Sidearmor Rails, and you bring up a great point, weight. I have held this gun alot, and it is fairly lightweight. However, the sidearmor rails look like they add quite alot of weight for an extended top rail, 4rd sidesaddle, and a single short rail on the side to put a light on.

I plan to just put an Aimpoint T-1 or a Trijicon RMR on it for a simple red dot. I cannot see myself putting anything more than one of those on it for a sight, if any at all. So I don't know if I need that much rail.

Don't get me wrong, I love rails just as much as the next guy, but I am used to shotguns that only hold 6+1. So this 7+1 M4 will be a new experience for me.

As for the Meprolight sights, do they have the white ring around the vials for daylight shooting?

So far as it is looking, this is how I will start off on my M4:

Benelli M4

Kip Ti Magazine Tube

Meprolight Night Sights

Aimpoint T-1

The M4 is 7+1+1, not 7+1.

Edited by Unobtanium

Just so you know, There have been issues, at least with the Larue T-1 mount not holding well on the stock Benelli rail which is out of spec. Carriercomp will hopefully be getting their relacement rail out fairly soon. As far as I know there have not been any problems with the Sidearmor rails which, although they aren't spec either, are beefier than the stock Benelli rail.

Later,