Just bought my brand new M4! Couple questions...

mosley128

So I posted a thread a week or so ago, and with the advice of people on this forum, bought my very first shotgun. It's the M4, and I just shot 25 shells through it, and I'm pretty sure it's love at first sight.

Anyways, I've never owned/shot a shotgun before, and I've always been taught to clean a gun after each shoot, but the Benelli owner's manual says that it really isn't necessary. I know I can clean the barrel, but is there anything else I should do?

Also, I called the sheriff department today and asked about the legality of a collapsible stock or extension tube, and they were far from helpful. I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but are EITHER legal for a Missouri resident?

My primary question is regarding the proper cleaning procedures, and any advice would be helpful.

Thanks all!

So I posted a thread a week or so ago, and with the advice of people on this forum, bought my very first shotgun. It's the M4, and I just shot 25 shells through it, and I'm pretty sure it's love at first sight.

Anyways, I've never owned/shot a shotgun before, and I've always been taught to clean a gun after each shoot, but the Benelli owner's manual says that it really isn't necessary. I know I can clean the barrel, but is there anything else I should do?

Also, I called the sheriff department today and asked about the legality of a collapsible stock or extension tube, and they were far from helpful. I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but are EITHER legal for a Missouri resident?

My primary question is regarding the proper cleaning procedures, and any advice would be helpful.

Thanks all!

Clean the M4 the same way you would an AR15 basically. The only difference is in how you clean the barrel, and that you must clean the choke/threads as well.

You've *got* to keep the M4 bolt carrier group well lubed including the recoil link pin at the rear of the bolt carrier (however do NOT lube the pistons) or else suffer the consequences later. I always generously lube mine before I shoot it. As for the 'legality' of the collapsible stock, there's a lot of debate about that and it's *not* an issue until it becomes one at some time in the future. The law is on the books and if it weren't then Benelli would be making those collapsible stocks available to us lowly 'civilians', and as it stands now Benelli will ONLY make the collapsible stocks available to bona fide 'law enforcement agencies'. Definitely a gray area without the imported parts count at 10 or less items so precede at your own risk.

Edited by Sukhoi_fan

You've *got* to keep the M4 bolt carrier group well lubed including the recoil link pin at the rear of the bolt carrier (however do NOT lube the pistons) or else suffer the consequences later. I always generously lube mine before I shoot it. As for the 'legality' of the collapsible stock, there's a lot of debate about that and it's *not* an issue until it becomes one at some time in the future. The law is on the books and if it weren't then Benelli would be making those collapsible stocks available to us lowly 'civilians', and as it stands now Benelli will ONLY make the collapsible stocks available to bona fide 'law enforcement agencies'. Definitely a gray area without the imported parts count at 10 or less items so precede at your own risk.

The only thing I found that happens when you lube the pistons is some oil gets blown all over the place and it smokes for a few shots. It's not critical NOT to do it, just no sense in it really.

The only thing I found that happens when you lube the pistons is some oil gets blown all over the place and it smokes for a few shots. It's not critical NOT to do it, just no sense in it really.

Lubing the pistons will result in a load of carbon burned onto the pistons which is a bit*h to clean, so that's why I suggested NOT to do so, for the same reason one shouldn't lube the gas piston in an AK, FAL, or any other gas piston operated semi-auto.

Lubing the pistons will result in a load of carbon burned onto the pistons which is a bit*h to clean, so that's why I suggested NOT to do so, for the same reason one shouldn't lube the gas piston in an AK, FAL, or any other gas piston operated semi-auto.

I suppose, but I clean the snot out of my stuff anyways.

Thank you all for the advice, I cleaned mine after downloading a manual for it online. Regarding the pistons: They are the silver pieces on the tip of the bolt carrier, am I correct? The part that you can depress with your finger, and it pops back?

My last question: The strap loop that you put a carrying strap through towards the tip of the weapon LOOKS like you can move it ninety degrees either way (to place the strap on either side of the weapon) but I have been unable will all my messing with it to do so. Any help there?

Again, thank you for all the help thus far, it's greatly appreciated.

You need a pair of snap ring plyers to move the front sling mount. Pop off the snap ring, pull the sling mount off and reindex it how you want.

The pistons are attached to the barrel assembly. They protrude into the receiver and imping against the front of the bolt carrier. The pistons are free floating. So if you shake the weapon with the bolt locked to the rear, you'll hear and see them sliding back and forth approximately half an inch.

I soak my pistons in Hoppes. Then hit it with a wire brush to remove all the carbon buildup. Nothing is then applied. I do not know what type of steel they are, but I have never noticed any rust. I read that they are stainless?