Freaking out over M3 cycling

dondone

Is it normal for the M3 breech to open partially by itself when using it in the pump mode? It's freaking me out and seems to be unnatural, not to mention unnerving.

It's contrary to any other pump shotgun I have ever used.

Appreciate any and all help/advice.

Is it normal for the M3 breech to open partially by itself when using it in the pump mode? It's freaking me out and seems to be unnatural, not to mention unnerving.

It's contrary to any other pump shotgun I have ever used.

Appreciate any and all help/advice.

You have not used many pump guns then ;)

You have not used many pump guns then

Cute.:D

My experience with pumps has been with the Win. 97s, 12s, 1200s and 1300s, Ithaca 37s, Hi-Stds, Rem. 10s, 31s and 870s, Stevens 520s and 620s, and probably more than I have forgotten about, NONE of which have ever blown the breechbolt halfway open upon firing.

I fully realize that the M3 is quite an unusual design, operating in both pump and semi-automatic modes.

So, once we get the sarcasm aside, is THIS normal operation for an M3 in pump mode? To blow the bolt halfway back when fired?

(Forgot that the Ithaca Roadblocker was a semi, so I removed it. It was a gun I had repaired and had to test fire and it was quite unpleasant.)

Edited by dondone

Cute.:D

My experience with pumps has been with the Win. 97s, 12s, 1200s and 1300s, Ithaca 37s, Hi-Stds, Rem. 10s, 31s and 870s, Stevens 520s and 620s, and probably more than I have forgotten about, NONE of which have ever blown the breechbolt halfway open upon firing.

I fully realize that the M3 is quite an unusual design, operating in both pump and semi-automatic modes.

So, once we get the sarcasm aside, is THIS normal operation for an M3 in pump mode? To blow the bolt halfway back when fired?

(Forgot that the Ithaca Roadblocker was a semi, so I removed it. It was a gun I had repaired and had to test fire and it was quite unpleasant.)

Yes, and most of the shotguns you listed do it too.

Not any that I've ever fired. I'm not sure what you're talking about; I've never had any pump shotgun blow halfway open after it fired. I'll just contact Benelli.

I have plenty of pictures of 870's doing it and Benelli will tell you the same thing: Normal. If you didn't want an opinion on it you should have just called Benelli to begin with.

fnsh9y.jpg

Edited by Unobtanium

Also you must keep in mind even in pump mode the semi auto function of the benelli M3 is dont disabled. The recoil from the cartrage will still compress the spring in the bolt causing it to want to push the bolt and bolt carrier back just like in semi auto mode. when using light shells its not very noticable on pulling the bolt back as it is with heavier loads. Setting it in pump mode will just cause the system to have more weight and drag when trying to cycle the action automaticly. The added weight and drag being your arm. But yes this is normal operation of the firearm and nothing to fear of it. Everything will be A ok :)

DSC00791-1-1.jpg

Jesse

Edited by JesseJames38

Also you must keep in mind even in pump mode the semi auto function of the benelli M3 is dont disabled. The recoil from the cartrage will still compress the spring in the bolt causing it to want to push the bolt and bolt carrier back just like in semi auto mode. when using light shells its not very noticable on pulling the bolt back as it is with heavier loads. Setting it in pump mode will just cause the system to have more weight and drag when trying to cycle the action automaticly. The added weight and drag being your arm. But yes this is normal operation of the firearm and nothing to fear of it. Everything will be A ok :)

Thank you. The whole system of operation threw me for a loop. I do realize that the Benelli system is definitely different, but it is quite disconcerting to have your bolt thrown halfway open after firing.:)