M2 Feeding Failure

billybobtuff

M2, 12 ga. Appx 1000 rounds thru it. Recently failing to feed w/ 1 1/8 federal trap loads. This weekend a failure with 1 1/4 Kent Ultimate uplands. The shell will exit magazine and hang. Mouth of shell stops at point about even with or a little beyond end of lifter. It is clear of magazine. Everything stops. I must pry the shell back away from magazine to unjam the works. It looks like the rim of shell is hanging where there is a little ramp on the inside surface of the action release lever. I see there is a shiney wear pattern on the opposite side of the receiver's inside where the rim on the other side is rubbing. The magazine spring seems to push with gusto. Anyone seen this, anyone got a solution?

M2, 12 ga. Appx 1000 rounds thru it. Recently failing to feed w/ 1 1/8 federal trap loads. This weekend a failure with 1 1/4 Kent Ultimate uplands. The shell will exit magazine and hang. Mouth of shell stops at point about even with or a little beyond end of lifter. It is clear of magazine. Everything stops. I must pry the shell back away from magazine to unjam the works. It looks like the rim of shell is hanging where there is a little ramp on the inside surface of the action release lever. I see there is a shiney wear pattern on the opposite side of the receiver's inside where the rim on the other side is rubbing. The magazine spring seems to push with gusto. Anyone seen this, anyone got a solution?

Is it just these ammo types? eg does a different brand work all the time? for these troublesome shells does it jam on every shell or only so often?

The thing I would check is make sure that the drop lever is tight against the bolt release.

Has the gun ever been cleaned & lubricated ? What has been cleaned and lubed since those 1K rounds were fired?

Some of the shells that have issues with feeding are deformed at the bottom of the shell and will not feed properly, you can line them up against other shells and see the difference! Mudhen had a post showing the forum this issue a while back!

Yep, it's clean. I actually thought that perhaps it was the Federal ammo until it started up with the Kent ammo. If you were able to slow-mo a shell coming out of the magazine, you will note that the head of the shell rides in sort of a rail-like feature pressed into the inside of the mag. release assembly. When it gets back near the back of the "rail" there is a steepened incline. That is where the rim of the shell hangs. All is smooth - no burrs. Mystery.:mad:

I hunted up your posts on cycling. Great treatise! I wrestled with the Mag spring housing cap on a Montefeltro 20 and gave up without thinking of the loctite issue. I'll go back and work that one over as result of your advice. I don't think that is the issue with this M2. The problem is happenning about 5 times in a hundred with the sporting clay loads. It happened twice in about 10-15 shots at pheasant with the Kent ammo. You might appreciate that I don't know if it will happen with a third shot - as I never get that far! Thanks for the pointers. I'll see if I can get some reasonable photos.

Send me a photo and a better description of your issue. Also read my other posts. I think you will find some good understanding in that piece.

I just replaced a carrier latch on a M1 that was wore. This part was updated in the M2.

[email protected]

I tried to send you a PM, but the system said I needed to post 15 post before I could pm.

So, I thought I'd ask you a question about my M2 cycling problems.

I may have it worked out with the new parts on the way from Benelli and gunsprings.com, but they haven't arrived yet.

On my 3rd shot (when 3 are loaded), 3 out of every box will usually hang up on the carrier. The shell will back out of the tube and just rest on the carrier. I can slightly bump it and it will load.

Sounds like a weak mag spring and/or follower cap so I ordered both. I also have a carrier latch coming as well.

The gun has done this since new (3 years old)--Benelli told me it was a break-in issue and to shoot heavy loads for a while. Done that for 3 years.

What you think?

jed

I tried to send you a PM, but the system said I needed to post 15 post before I could pm.

So, I thought I'd ask you a question about my M2 cycling problems.

I may have it worked out with the new parts on the way from Benelli and gunsprings.com, but they haven't arrived yet.

On my 3rd shot (when 3 are loaded), 3 out of every box will usually hang up on the carrier. The shell will back out of the tube and just rest on the carrier. I can slightly bump it and it will load.

Sounds like a weak mag spring and/or follower cap so I ordered both. I also have a carrier latch coming as well.

The gun has done this since new (3 years old)--Benelli told me it was a break-in issue and to shoot heavy loads for a while. Done that for 3 years.

What you think?

Purchasing a new magazine spring, follower cap & carrier latch were good moves. Be sure to clean the magazine tube when you have this old parts removed.

Secondly, really study my finding about shells. No one is really on to this issue and it is pivitol to the operation of your Benelli system. Lets recap - remove your barrel from the gun - if your shells do not fall all the way into the chamber freely to the shells base you are disrupting the inertia recoil system. This is a huge issue that know one seems to grasp. I'm surprised MUDHEN has not mentioned this - he is pretty much spot on in his Benelli insights.

The Benelli Autolaoding gun uses a two piece bolt and spring to accomplish the energy transfer necessary to initiate the bolt cycle and perform all necessary autoloading functions, including recocking, extracting, ejection, and reloading.

Additionally the Benelli chamber is bored very tight.

Many shells today (no brands any better) simply do not hold tolerance to insert properly in Benelli guns. Remove your barrel from your gun and drop a shell into the chamber. Every shell should fall into the chamber with no resistance. Keep in mind while cleaning you barrel, extra attention will need to be given to the chamber area. A 12 or 10 Gauge wire brush should be used in the firsts 4” of the chamber. You will be surprised how a clean chamber will help with “shell issues”. If your shells do not fall into the chamber with any resistance you will change the dynamic of the above said functionality of inertia. You do not have to throw these shells away. Lightly polish the plastic or brass until resistance is eliminated. The larger the diameter of the shot the more possibility the shot will not lay the hull properly which will the cause a dimple on the outside of the shell. I have found the shell issue increasing in recent years.

Thanks for the quick response. I want to make sure I understand you correctly:

You're saying in my situation, the chamber/shell could be the problem instead of a weak mag spring? I know I described my problem, but let me further explain. The only problem I have ever had is when the shell stops on top of the carrier. Never had a problem with one going in the chamber. Never had a problem with one ejecting.

One other thing: I've never replaced a carrier latch. Do you have instructions somewhere?

thanks, jed

View inside the receiver (trigger group out) illustrating where the rims have been pressed against the receiver by the mag release lever on the other side. The marks are deep enough to be readily felt with the finger.

Now, the other side. You can see where the rims ride in the "valley" of the mag release lever. You can see where the marks end. That is about the point where shells stop.

This view illustrates the point at which the shells stop when exiting the magazine. I used a dummy round and the metal head is very dark. You need to look close to see the rim. When it stops here, I pry the shell on back until it gets beyond the point where the spring pressure on the magazine release lever holds things up.

• 1 month later...
This thread illustrates some of my M2 Feeding problems - very much resembling the two or maybe 3 guys with the same deal in the longer thread which Jed moved over to.

I don't know how I missed your pictures before, but your markings look exactly the same as mine. The shell on the carrier is also like mine.

How many rounds you have through it?

What all have you replaced?

jed

Not to beat a dead horse, but I shot my M2 all day Saturday in a dove field. Shot some skeet as well. I probably shot a flat of shells all together. I wanted to put this issue to rest for sure before I cleaned the gun up for the off-season. NO JAMS! I am positive at this point that the carrier latch and spring fixed my problem, which was the same as yours.

Good luck.

jed

• 4 months later...