Hello, new guy checking in. Looking for advice.

CJ1175

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking around here for a few days looking for information about Benelli shotguns. Decided to register and ask a few questions.

I have been looking for a versatile multi purpose semi auto 12 gauge shotgun. After looking at many different shotguns, I have become very interested in Benelli's offerings. I have been very impressed with the M2's, both field and tactical.

My uses will be home defense, shooting clays, some 3-gun, and some upland bird hunting.

It has been suggested to me to buy a tactical model with 18.5" bbl. with rifle sights to use for home defense and 3-gun, and get an extra 26" or 28" field barrel for birds and clays.

What are everyones thought here? Any other suggestions/options?

Thank you.

I would not usally interfere with someone's choice of home defense, but I've seen people (including children) killed because of the weapons in the residence. So, I thought I would add my comments.

If it were me I would think about two options:

Option 1:

I would not have an auto as home defense unless you're going to keep a round chambered at all times (might not be too safe) and you have used the gun extensively and can operate it in a very stressful situation, including the dark. Unless you've trained with it, you're going to get it taken from you by a serious burglary. You also have to keep them exceptionally clean to avoid any jamming issues since your life depends on it.

I would prefer a pump. The reason: they will not usally jam unless you jam it. In 25 years of police work, I've never had a pump jam (in action or at training). I carry them with an empty chamber (safety off--one less thing to worry about when I am about to shoot it) and I can easily racked one in the chamber when needed. You also get that 'oh crap, he's got a gun' reaction if someone is in your house when you rack a pump. A pump being racked gets attention. Shooting someone is not as easy as some people make it out to be. By racking a shotgun, you ,may not need to shoot someone. It is safer in case a child or burglary gets to it before you do. (they will have to figure out how to load it while you un-ass the area or stay and fight). They're also cheap. For the price of an extra Benelli barrel, you could by a used Nova and new 870. I would then go buy the field version M2.

Bottom line: If I'm shooting clay, birds, or quail, the auto loader is just fine. The occasionaly jam (and they will jam) is not a big deal. If my life (or my family's life) is in jeopardy, I want a pump. Ask any police officer the same question. There's a reason (at least in my area) that 90% of police agencies carry pumps instead of autos.

Option 2:

Buy the M2 tactical with short barrel. Then buy the M2 American for around $799 (maybe get one cheaper). The last time I priced a Benelli barrel it was around $500. For just a little more to get a complete 2nd gun.

Good luck.

jed

Edited by jed1894

jed1894, Sorry but I think your kind of putting the scare into someone where it doesn't need to be done.

1- I have short stroked my Supernova more times than I have had failures in all my auto shotguns combined. Not to mention it was only when shooting birdshot also I am still at only " 1 " malfunction with anything you would use for HD.

2- You do not need a round in the chamber to keep a semi auto to play the HD role. You can load it and have one riding on the carrier and a simple pull of the bolt puts it in the chamber same as the pump just by different means.

3- The sound of a M4 or M2 charging handle being pulled and released is just as " oh **** he's got a gun " as cycling a pump.

I live 15 miles from town meaning unless there is a unit cruising down the highway when the SHTF I am my families first line of defense. Anything I keep in my HD weapons get tested by me. I shoot targets, old cars and housing components like walls and doors. My friends come out and do the same or look at what I have done to make their choices also. With that being said a M4 my go to gun for intruders and my MR1 is for beyond the fence bad guys.

I agree Although I never owned a pump I hear of people short stroking all the time. My M1S90 has never once failed to work with good ammo. and only failed 1 time with some super old bird shot.

I also leave both M1 and M4 with a shell in the carrier.

But i will admit when I hear a bump in the night i grab my HKusp 9mm only cuzz I feel comfy with it. size of it plays a big roll to me. Now if I was sure someone was in my house i would grab my M1 and as soon as I get time in with the M4 and learn to trust it that will take over.

Thank you for the replies.

I had considered two guns, a pump for a house gun, and an autoloader for hunting/games, but I felt having one gun do it all would be better for continuity.

Other reasons: I have owned pump shotguns in the past, and they were good guns, but I never could get comfortable with them. I found that I would often forget to pump them when hunting. With a semi auto that wouldn't be an issue. I also considered, if I forget to pump while hunting, I may do the same in a home defense situation. Not good. Also, although I have never short stroked a pump, my wife has. Any gun used for home defense she will need to know how to operate as well, and I believe a semi would be easier for her to handle as well based on her previous experience with pumps.

I do kind of like the idea of two guns though. A dedicated house gun, that could also be suitable for 3 gun, and another for hunting and clays. That would cost more, and would take longer to get them both, but it would be nice.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

CJ I personaly like your first idea. A home defence gun IMO you should be very comfy with it, thats why I grab my USP 9mm if I hear something. I shoot that the most and if something went wrong with it I could clear a round easy with out thought. That being said if you hunt and shoot 3 gun with the same shotgun home Defence problems would be easy to fix as you are so used to it. That and benellis just dont have problems,lol.

Another question.

I was considering a tactical model with the pistol grip stock. I really like the way it feels. However, I have been told that the pistol grip stock models do not run as reliable as the standard stocked models. Is there any truth to this? It just doesn't make sense to me that if it is that unreliable, why does Benelli make it?

Another question.

I was considering a tactical model with the pistol grip stock. I really like the way it feels. However, I have been told that the pistol grip stock models do not run as reliable as the standard stocked models. Is there any truth to this? It just doesn't make sense to me that if it is that unreliable, why does Benelli make it?

No I have no idea for sure if that is true or not! But I would bet the farm that it is NOT true.

I would not usally interfere with someone's choice of home defense, but I've seen people (including children) killed because of the weapons in the residence. So, I thought I would add my comments.

If it were me I would think about two options:

Option 1:

I would not have an auto as home defense unless you're going to keep a round chambered at all times (might not be too safe) and you have used the gun extensively and can operate it in a very stressful situation, including the dark. Unless you've trained with it, you're going to get it taken from you by a serious burglary. You also have to keep them exceptionally clean to avoid any jamming issues since your life depends on it.

Benelli's and most other autos for that matter won't jam just from a little dirt. Being sensible is all that is required. Short-stroking a pump-action under stress is MUCH MORE likely than your auto jamming if you are using a quality weapon like a Benelli and running good full-power ammunition.

I would prefer a pump. The reason: they will not usally jam unless you jam it. In 25 years of police work, I've never had a pump jam (in action or at training). I carry them with an empty chamber (safety off--one less thing to worry about when I am about to shoot it) and I can easily racked one in the chamber when needed. You also get that 'oh crap, he's got a gun' reaction if someone is in your house when you rack a pump. A pump being racked gets attention. Shooting someone is not as easy as some people make it out to be. By racking a shotgun, you ,may not need to shoot someone. It is safer in case a child or burglary gets to it before you do. (they will have to figure out how to load it while you un-ass the area or stay and fight). They're also cheap. For the price of an extra Benelli barrel, you could by a used Nova and new 870. I would then go buy the field version M2.

All a pump being racked does is pinpoint your location in the house. Someone hopped up on drugs doesn't care that you have a shotgun. In fact, most people shot seem to be disregarding the fact that someone is pointing a gun at them and that is why they end up getting shot instead of held at gunpoint until police arrive.

Bottom line: If I'm shooting clay, birds, or quail, the auto loader is just fine. The occasionaly jam (and they will jam) is not a big deal. If my life (or my family's life) is in jeopardy, I want a pump. Ask any police officer the same question. There's a reason (at least in my area) that 90% of police agencies carry pumps instead of autos.

One police officer that used to post here has an M4S90 and bought another one from me for his SO. He trusts it with his life and has never had an issue.The reason lots of them carry pumps is because, as you noted, their budgets stretch further that way, and you can run breeching rounds/beanbags through a pump. I doubt the OP plans on breeching a door or running beanbag rounds.

Option 2:

Buy the M2 tactical with short barrel. Then buy the M2 American for around $799 (maybe get one cheaper). The last time I priced a Benelli barrel it was around $500. For just a little more to get a complete 2nd gun.

The OP can buy a Benelli 18.5" barrel to fit his M2 w/rifle sights for a around $450 with interchangeable chokes. WIth a fixed choke it is just a hair over $400.

Good luck.

jed

P.S. I sometimes teach/talk to civic groups about home safety and which home defense weapon would be best for them based on they situation. If you have any other questions or want to talk more, pm me.

Opinions differ, but I don't think semi-auto shotguns jam NEARLY as much as you opine as long as they are cleaned properly (not white-glove, that isn't necessary, just a sensible cleaning), and run with good ammunition.

Training with ANY weapon is necessary.

OK, I've been told about yet another option.

Apparently Benelli makes a field M2 with a 21" barrel. That combined with a mag extension would seem to be a decent all around gun. Apparenly this is a popular set up with 3-gunners, and although probably not ideal, would make a decent home defense gun, as well as for hunting/clays.

My only concern is 922r compliance. I know, it's been debated ad naseum all over the net, but the more I read about 922r, the more confused I am. Is it possible to add a mag extension to an M2 and still be in compliance?

One more thing. I don't understand how other imported shotguns, the FN SLP for example, can have an extended magazine, but the Benelli's can't. Maybe I'm mistaken though, and the FN is actually made here. I don't know for sure. Can anyone shed some light on this?

OK, I've been told about yet another option.

Apparently Benelli makes a field M2 with a 21" barrel. That combined with a mag extension would seem to be a decent all around gun. Apparenly this is a popular set up with 3-gunners, and although probably not ideal, would make a decent home defense gun, as well as for hunting/clays.

My only concern is 922r compliance. I know, it's been debated ad naseum all over the net, but the more I read about 922r, the more confused I am. Is it possible to add a mag extension to an M2 and still be in compliance?

One more thing. I don't understand how other imported shotguns, the FN SLP for example, can have an extended magazine, but the Benelli's can't. Maybe I'm mistaken though, and the FN is actually made here. I don't know for sure. Can anyone shed some light on this?

If you run the field stock, you can add a mag-tube without even a technical bobble over 922r. Tom Knapp has never had a problem with his...