Nova Shell Extractor problems

Sharpdagger

Hello Benelli forums,

New to Benelli shotguns, I have a problem with my new

Nova 12ga. "shotgun fails to extract spent shell

I fired the gun 18 to 20 times with factory ammo

2 3/4 and 3" shells, from light to heavy loads.Each time checking to make sure I have the bolt assembly locked into Battery of the chamber.

When I fire the shotgun, the bolt assembly moves to the rear of the receiver approximately 1/2".I then cycled the action and the extractor doesn’t pull the spent shell out of the chamber. I then push the fore-grip forward allowing the extractor to grip the lip of the shell, It fails to extract the spent shell most times. I then had to remove the shells with my fingers. Is there something I'm doing wrong ?

I have a RA # from Service dept. But before I send the gun in for warrt repairs,I thought

I would post here first. Any info would be GREAT.. Thanks!!!

Hello Benelli forums,

New to Benelli shotguns, I have a problem with my new

Nova 12ga. "shotgun fails to extract spent shell

I fired the gun 18 to 20 times with factory ammo

2 3/4 and 3" shells, from light to heavy loads.Each time checking to make sure I have the bolt assembly locked into Battery of the chamber.

When I fire the shotgun, the bolt assembly moves to the rear of the receiver approximately 1/2".I then cycled the action and the extractor doesn’t pull the spent shell out of the chamber. I then push the fore-grip forward allowing the extractor to grip the lip of the shell, It fails to extract the spent shell most times. I then had to remove the shells with my fingers. Is there something I'm doing wrong ?

I have a RA # from Service dept. But before I send the gun in for warrt repairs,I thought

I would post here first. Any info would be GREAT.. Thanks!!!

Gun's fault. Send it in.

First, welcome to the forum.

Everything sounds normal exept the extractor not grabbing the shell. My nova's extract about 1/2 from the rear of the firearm. Try firing with spent hulls or snap caps to get a better look at what is going on.

It sounds to me like extractor tension or geometry is out of spec. I was reticent to offer a solution though because we already have one forum member that has been chasing a problem himself for 3 years instead of sending the shotgun in to Benelli.

Thank You all for your replys,

I have the gun packed-up ,and it will go out today.

I do have to agree,I have studied the action with snap-caps

and with the barrel and bolt assy in hand, A geometry

alignment issue is best handled under Warrty. "Good reply"

Again thinks All !!. I will post when I get

my Nova back, Service dept has stated 3 to 4 weeks.

"Happy Holidays to all"

Sharpdagger

Thank You all for your replys,

I have the gun packed-up ,and it will go out today.

I do have to agree,I have studied the action with snap-caps

and with the barrel and bolt assy in hand, A geometry

alignment issue is best handled under Warrty. "Good reply"

Again thinks All !!. I will post when I get

my Nova back, Service dept has stated 3 to 4 weeks.

"Happy Holidays to all"

Sharpdagger

I got a letter in the mail stating 45 days. However, service told me 2 weeks or so. In reality, it was 14 days door-to-door counting shipping and weekends. Benelli had my barrel in-hand on a Monday and shipped the replacement on a thursday or friday of that same week IIRC. They are excellent!

That's better yet, I dont know what they will do ? if it's

trouble shoot the problem and fix, or send out a new barrel and bolt assy in my gun....

They will only replace a part if it is the last option available to them. Simple economics. My case was somewhat unique as I did all the trouble-shooting for Benelli and sent them the letter, they just verified and then sent the new barrel assy.

Edited by Unobtanium

Trust Me, We all have unique experiences.

But I'm always open to ideals, simple economics, At $$ Twenty five dollars and hour- how long to you think management will allow Benelli techs to trouble shoot the problem before they replace the questionable parts and ship out. A letter included with the defects that's go's without saying, "Again Trust Me" Benelli is not going to take yours or my word, they are going to inspect and replace the questionable parts

and send back out.

But I'm sure at 23 years of age, you know all of this....

There's an old saying "Smart people don’t

need advice and fools won't take it" ... I hope I haven't offended you.

Trust Me, We all have unique experiences.

But I'm always open to ideals, simple economics, At $$ Twenty five dollars and hour- how long to you think management will allow Benelli techs to trouble shoot the problem before they replace the questionable parts and ship out. A letter included with the defects that's go's without saying, "Again Trust Me" Benelli is not going to take yours or my word, they are going to inspect and replace the questionable parts

and send back out.

But I'm sure at 23 years of age, you know all of this....

There's an old saying "Smart people don’t

need advice and fools won't take it" ... I hope I haven't offended you.

Not at all.

Benelli of course verified what my letter claimed. I wouldn't think they would do otherwise.

I still feel that it expedited matters. It sure saved me money as all I had to send in was the barrel assembly to get the new barrel assembly vs. sending/insuring my entire M4.

I was not implying that Benelli would blindly follow a letter, but the more detailed you can be about the problem the better. My letter served me well. New barrel assy. within 14 days door-to-door, and the new one was perfect. Problem solved.

• 1 month later...