Any ideas for a new gun

Lefty81

My grandfather passed away a few years ago and left all of his grandkids some money. After using some of it to pay off my truck and to put toward other interests, I want to purchase a gun that I could say was a gift from him. I try to be practical with the firearms I own - I have a rifle for big game, a SBE for all other hunting needs, and a xd40 for personal defense. I've thought about getting a nice 1911, a smaller caliber rifle I could let my children use one day, or screw all practicallity and get something for the awe factor such as a M4 in 6.8mm or .308. What would you recommend?

My grandfather passed away a few years ago and left all of his grandkids some money. After using some of it to pay off my truck and to put toward other interests, I want to purchase a gun that I could say was a gift from him. I try to be practical with the firearms I own - I have a rifle for big game, a SBE for all other hunting needs, and a xd40 for personal defense. I've thought about getting a nice 1911, a smaller caliber rifle I could let my children use one day, or screw all practicallity and get something for the awe factor such as a M4 in 6.8mm or .308. What would you recommend?

Build a proper battle rifle imo.

i just got a s&w mp 15-22 for some 7 cent target shooting couldnt be happier with it... my 7 year niece can hammer home at 50 yards with a big smile on her face....

as far as awe factor and completely ridiculous-ity....

keltec.jpg

kal-tec RFB bullpup. .308 compact carbine... might get one myself and hope it doesnt explode in my face.... heh.

I'd say either a beautiful Cooper rifle or perhaps a Franchi Renaissance.

Either would be a safe queen and a highly valued heirloom to pass down to a child.

If Grandpa left you a chunk, then go here.

http://www.benelliworldclass.com/

I like your ideas. My grandfather had a few o/u that were very nice, very expensive, and sat up in the attic in their cases.

Explain what you mean by safe queen. I'm new to the idea of having a number of guns that just sit on the shelf somewhere and never see the light of day, much less a target. Does this mean I would have to start taking propping it up on a hi-liter and posting pictures of it every week? :) I do plan on using whatever I purchase.

Please at least build a $800 practical AR battle rifle ... if for no other reason then to load up 6 mags and leave it in a safe for a rainy day.

Some day in perhaps the not so distant future, you will thank me. If you need any help in building such a rifle, please get ahold of me ... I know way too much about this type of stuff.

Please at least build a $800 practical AR battle rifle ... if for no other reason then to load up 6 mags and leave it in a safe for a rainy day.

Some day in perhaps the not so distant future, you will thank me. If you need any help in building such a rifle, please get ahold of me ... I know way too much about this type of stuff.

damn good advice DUGGAN!! everyone should follow it.;) especially w/ this LOUSY administration!!!:(

Explain what you mean by safe queen. Does this mean I would have to start taking propping it up on a hi-liter and posting pictures of it every week? :) I do plan on using whatever I purchase.

That's certainly one way to enjoy a safe queen. :D

The AR madness is just about over now.

Given the weaknesses demonstrated in the healthcare debate, it's not even close to a possibility that they can muster the votes to pass any kind of gun legislation.

An AR is a nice thing to have, but this whole "doomsday" fantasy being played out in the minds of some folks has me wondering what else is going on in those minds sometimes.

Too much Red Bull and "Red Dawn" I imagine.

That's certainly one way to enjoy a safe queen. :D

The AR madness is just about over now.

Given the weaknesses demonstrated in the healthcare debate, it's not even close to a possibility that they can muster the votes to pass any kind of gun legislation.

An AR is a nice thing to have, but this whole "doomsday" fantasy being played out in the minds of some folks has me wondering what else is going on in those minds sometimes.

Too much Red Bull and "Red Dawn" I imagine.

Not at all, I am just physically capable of beating off only so many times a day. I have to find SOME way to amuse myself!

Also, there was no weakness in the healthcare debate. Our POS senator only held out to get an ammendmant to the bill giving our state $100m for our current failing govt. healthcare plan. Congress is controlled by the democrats (and 2 independants that always hug their sack) and they stood united. Things are VERY ugly.

Edited by Unobtanium

A little advice would be great. Once I get my post count over 15, I'll send you a PM

"It can never happen here" ... until it does.

I'm not saying that people will need guns to fight off new era Obama brown shirt thugs coming to take everything you own, I am saying as an economist that things have the potential to continue going down ... and that normally nice, civil people have a tendency to become animals in survival mode when the **** hits the fan and they realize how underprepared they are.

It's a relatively inexpensive precaution to safeguard your life, liberty and possessions ... throughout history, masses of people without guns have been bent to the will of the people with guns.

Do as you see fit.

I just finished my Rock River Arms AR15 build. Hope to take it to the range this weekend and try it out. I'm just starting out and am concentrating on guns that may be targeted for banning; AR15, SemiAuto Shotgun (M4 with extended mag), and a Sig Sauer P226 SCT (Super Capacity Tactical). I'm adding some accessories now. Remember to save some money for mags and ammo. Cases of 556 and hi-cap mags may be the first to become "scarce" at the stroke of a pen.

I'm not saying that people will need guns to fight off new era Obama brown shirt thugs coming to take everything you own, I am saying as an economist that things have the potential to continue going down ... and that normally nice, civil people have a tendency to become animals in survival mode when the **** hits the fan and they realize how underprepared they are.

It's a relatively inexpensive precaution to safeguard your life, liberty and possessions ... throughout history, masses of people without guns have been bent to the will of the people with guns.

Do as you see fit.

WELL said DUGGAN!! i agree, i also dont see any mad max sh-t anytime soon, but one can NEVER be too careful!!!

A little advice would be great. Once I get my post count over 15, I'll send you a PM

and LEFTY, if you also want or need ANY help or advice putting together your own AR, let me know. i can help w/ any aspect of the build if you need it. ive put waaaaaay too many of them together and have made all the mistakes/bad decisions already!!;) let me know, skeeter

I am saying as an economist that things have the potential to continue going down ... and that normally nice, civil people have a tendency to become animals in survival mode when the **** hits the fan and they realize how underprepared they are.

As the adage says: society is just a few missed meals away from breakdown

A 100 million people have been horribly murdered by their Governments in the past 100 years. Everyone should have the tools and the skills present to act as a deterent. Take a walk down memory lane. Consider the events happening in Nanking, China during the Japanese invasion. Take a look at the photos from the era.

Millions of Chinese women were raped. From infant to 100 year old women. They were raped to the point that when a hole was worn out, they'd use their bayonet to make a new one. These same people stood at the doorsteps of America at that time. Being the rifle behind every blade of grass made them think twice about an invasion here on the mainland.

I highly recommend getting a battle rifle as well. I don't know how much bread you have left; but I would consider a reloading press also.

Do as you see fit.

I don't know what your worried about. If they come to your house they will wax your parents in the next room first. So you'll have plenty of time to one man army together. ;)

Here is a complete lower using quality parts for $350:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Lower-Receiver-Groups-M4-AR15-s/117.htm

Here is a $590 upper: (after including BCG and carry handle)

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm

Handgaurds are cheap (if you get regular ones, FF railed handgaurds are still only a few hundred $$), and you can slap an optic on it when funds allow. This will make a cheap, but high-quality rifle for you. It's not the most "high-speed", but it will do nicely and go bang every time. Much superior to Bushmaster/ DPMS/ Armalite half-ass iffy-staked crap.

I threw this togather for you in literally under 5 minutes. If you spend a few months on www.ar15.com on the EE, you can do this for cheaper/better.

Edited by Unobtanium

Is Buying Uppers and lowers just like buying a handgun Meaning The 10 day wait period ?

give me the Rundown on how to build and get one Thanks

ONLY the lower will have a ten day wait in CRAZIFORNIA.:D due to its the ONLY part that has a serial #. ALL the other parts to complete an AR can be shipped directly to you. and I suggest a person new to AR's build their first one from scratch. its easier than you think w' limited tools needed to assemble. so one can learn by assembling it, how it works and operates and breaks down. not to mention you can put the good parts on it as you go. and parts for AR's are getting cheaper by the day online. if you need any help, just let me know. TS