Please help me decide between M1 and m4

Freeborn Man

Hi, new guy here. My name is Matt. I am looking for a new or new to me shotgun. I've found a post ban HK stamped M1 S90 with 18.5" barrel, factory hi cap tube, ghost ring sights and regular (non pistol grip) stock for $825 shipped. Owner bought it new 12 or 13 years ago. Reported to only have less than 50 rounds through it and it has a few minor scratches and scuffing. Oh, it also has an aftermarket bolt handle and comes with 3 chokes, tool and soft case. Is this a good deal, or should I go for a new M4?

Thanks,

Matt

Hey Freeborn,

Welcome to the forum! It depends what you want out of the gun, if you envision wanting to hang many accessories on it , get the M4 since the inertia system doesn't like extra weight on it, I have both and they're both excellent guns but I have a feeling that if you get the M1 you're going to be wanting the M4 too in the long run.

My vote:M4 Here's my pair:

LMTM4006.jpg

Later,

Hookster :)

Hey Freeborn,

Welcome to the forum! It depends what you want out of the gun, if you envision wanting to hang many accessories on it , get the M4 since the inertia system doesn't like extra weight on it, I have both and they're both excellent guns but I have a feeling that if you get the M1 you're going to be wanting the M4 too in the long run.

My vote:M4 Here's my pair:

LMTM4006.jpg

Later,

Hookster :)

some weird glitch mine double posted too

Hookster

Thanks for the welcome Hookster. The only thing I would add is a light. The m4 you have sure is sexy and I can see the attraction to add all the goodies to it.

Sukhoi fan, I agree that the M1 is more practical for my needs. Is there any other gun you would look at? Also, the $825 is an ok price? I misspoke, the shipping is extra.

Thanks for the welcome Hookster. The only thing I would add is a light. The m4 you have sure is sexy and I can see the attraction to add all the goodies to it.

Sukhoi fan, I agree that the M1 is more practical for my needs. Is there any other gun you would look at? Also, the $825 is an ok price? I misspoke, the shipping is extra.

Maybe considered blasphemy by some here, but for the money the hot tip right now is the FN SLP with the 22" barrel w/ FL mag tube. I've seen them recently on gunjoker in the $800 range. It's a gas gun, you don't need to concern yourself with 922® compliance if you're wanting a FL mag tube (which is the case with the M4 if you add the FL tube), and it's supposedly the fastest semi-auto shotgun currently. You just can't make it nearly as tacticool as the M4.

This video shows the Winchester SX3 which is the very same thing as the FN SLP -

Edited by Sukhoi_fan

Maybe considered blasphemy by some here, but for the money the hot tip right now is the FN SLP with the 22" barrel w/ FL mag tube. I've seen them recently on gunjoker in the $800 range. It's a gas gun, you don't need to concern yourself with 922® compliance if you're wanting a FL mag tube (which is the case with the M4 if you add the FL tube), and it's supposedly the fastest semi-auto shotgun currently. You just can't make it nearly as tacticool as the M4.

This video shows the Winchester SX3 which is the very same thing as the FN SLP -

That is wicked Fast!!!!!

That is wicked Fast!!!!!

That is wicked Fast!!!!!

but now that I think about it, if you got the money, might as well go with the M4

Money was never an issue when I chose my M2 over an M4 sitting right beside it. If you want a light fast shooting semi auto the M1 & M2 will fit the bill fine and will shoot anything the M4 will.

I just now bought an M4 simply because I wanted something new to play with. Given it's built a bit more ruggedly and accepts an extension much easier/cleaner I still like the M2 I sold.

If you want to hang a ton of junk on your gun get the M4.

If you want a light, fast shotgun then the M1/M2 are the way to go.

You don't see any of the top 3 gun shooters using an M4. They are using either an M1/M2 or a very few use some other brand.

These guys are moving fast and shooting a bunch of rounds in a short time.