Benelli M4 Magazine Tube Removal

17Load

I've just purchased a 7-round, single piece magazine tube from Dave's Metal Works (they call it their 2 Round Replacement Tube). I'm having issues unscrewing the original magazine tube from the receiver and I don't want to botch it up. Has anyone removed their magazine tube and if so, what method did you use? Was there a serious amount of force/torque needed to begin unscrewing the magazine tube?

My M4 is stripped down to just having the magazine tube remaining against the receiver (plus the Forearm Retaining Band). It appears the retaining band is held in place by the magazine tube, so I don't believe the retaining band is keeping the magazine tube from turning.

Any help would be awesome!!

I think I've found my answers by reading SOCOMguy's thread on his full length tubes. And why didn't I read this before!!! Ugh!

If anyone wants to volunteer any help, that would be great - going to try SOCOMguy's method.

I just did my second one last Saturday. The first one years ago (before full-length tubes were even commercially available) I used a small torch, this time I used a heat gun. I had a friend apply heat right at the base of the magazine tube, and after it started getting good and hot, I began applying twisting pressure to the magazine tube. It unscrewed some, then got tight again. More heat loosened it up again, and we were able to unscrew it off that time.

Yes, the rear handguard retainer plate is held in place behind the collar on the magazine tube, so it won't come off until the tube is removed.

I bought one of Kip's (carrierComp) titanium tubes. It came with very clear and exact directions which were easy to follow. In a nut shell: strip the gun down. Cut a length (4-6 inches) of bicycle inner tubing (it's cheap and works awesomely as a gripping aid). Slide the inner tubing onto the old mag tube. Apply heat with a heat gun to the front of the receiver where the mag tube is inserted into. Apply even heat to all sides ... keep the heat gun moving. After a while, the factory locktite will turn back to liquid and the mag tube can be unscrewed. You don't want to overheat it, but you also don't want to under heat it before you start unscrewing it. Just keeping trying to unscrew it occasionally. It shouldn't take much force. I was able to unscrew the mag tube on my own without any additional help from another person, but the bike inner tubing really helped getting a grip on the old tube. Once you've removed the tube, clean up the receiver threads, apply new locktite to the new tube, screw back in. Easy.

I bought one of Kip's (carrierComp) titanium tubes. It came with very clear and exact directions which were easy to follow. In a nut shell: strip the gun down. Cut a length (4-6 inches) of bicycle inner tubing (it's cheap and works awesomely as a gripping aid). Slide the inner tubing onto the old mag tube. Apply heat with a heat gun to the front of the receiver where the mag tube is inserted into. Apply even heat to all sides ... keep the heat gun moving. After a while, the factory locktite will turn back to liquid and the mag tube can be unscrewed. You don't want to overheat it, but you also don't want to under heat it before you start unscrewing it. Just keeping trying to unscrew it occasionally. It shouldn't take much force. I was able to unscrew the mag tube on my own without any additional help from another person, but the bike inner tubing really helped getting a grip on the old tube. Once you've removed the tube, clean up the receiver threads, apply new locktite to the new tube, screw back in. Easy.

me too. got a steal on a heat gun at ACE. heat it up and unscrew. easy.

I just did my second one last Saturday. The first one years ago (before full-length tubes were even commercially available) I used a small torch, this time I used a heat gun. I had a friend apply heat right at the base of the magazine tube, and after it started getting good and hot, I began applying twisting pressure to the magazine tube. It unscrewed some, then got tight again. More heat loosened it up again, and we were able to unscrew it off that time.

Yes, the rear handguard retainer plate is held in place behind the collar on the magazine tube, so it won't come off until the tube is removed.

Thanks M4Madness! I was thinking small propane torch but am going to go with a heat gun now. Also, thanks for confirming about the handguard retainer plate not being the issue - I didn't think so, but wasn't 100% sure.

Cheers!

Thank you USCM - my tube didn't come with any instructions at all (but I also didn't realize there would be factory set lock-tite on it either). Nothing's ever easy anymore! Anyway, thanks for the tire tube suggestion - I'm going to try it out. I appreciate your time and help!!

I was super nervous the first time I did it. Mostly because it was an unknown. Had I known what I know now ... I was genuinely shocked how easy it was. It was probably one of the easiest accessories I installed on my gun. Took just a few minutes to heat up, remove, clean the threads, install new tube. That's why I'm always shocked whenever people say they've bought a tube extension instead of a full tube. The cost of a decent tube extension is only a little cheaper than buying a full tube. And buying a full tube counts as 922® compliance whereas the extension does not.

:D

SUCCESS!!

The heat gun was the trick. It took 10+ minutes of applying heat (I think I was putting it too far out on the tube at first) before I was able to slowly start rotating the magazine tube. This was just me and hand/arm strength, I didn't have a vice available so maybe that would help it turn sooner - not sure but probably. I did use a piece of rubber for handling the tube as it does heat up pretty good. I cleaned up the remaining lock-tite with a wire brush and threaded on the new tube w/no issues. Also, without a vice, it's hard finding a place to hold the receiver/stock that isn't subject to hot metal or hot air. In hind sight, I should have worn a long leather glove - would have helped.

I like the look of the one piece tube much better than the factory limiter piece that comes with it and more importantly, the extra capacity!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply with suggestions and cautions - all of your advice was spot-on!

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I used some cheap leather welding gloves I got at Harbor Freight years ago. Gripping it was not a problem with the gloves. You do have to be patient and let the heat do the work. It just started to smoke (fume) a bit before it turned easy.

I just sprayed some penetrating oil on where the threads meet the receiver, put it in the safe over the weekend, and on Mon. with very little force, the factory tube came right out. I too was ready to hit Harbor Freight for the heat gun, but ended up not needing to. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Used a full-size hairdryer. Heated it for about five minutes and used a rubber glove for grip. I had a friend hold the stock end since I didn't have a vice. Worked fine.

That is one sick-house hair-dryer. I usually put CLP in my mag tube and use a heat-gun until the CLP begins to smoke off. I have found that that is almost identical to the temperature required for me to begin to unscrew the mag-tube from the receiver.

Mine was probably one of the toughest to get off that I've read about. That thing was on there. Heat gun, strap wrench and a vice to hold the gun were all critical. I couldn't hold the gun tight enough by hand. Glad it went well for you.

Mine was probably one of the toughest to get off that I've read about. That thing was on there. Heat gun, strap wrench and a vice to hold the gun were all critical. I couldn't hold the gun tight enough by hand. Glad it went well for you.

We don't know your physical prowess so this is truly hard to judge.

Moar heat is required. Given enough time, a cheapie heat gun will get the receiver extension off as well. If you're having to strong arm it, the locktite's bond hasn't broken yet.

From my experience, newer M4 tubes are easier to get out than older ones. Older ones have a lot more thread locker compound on them.

Will heating the receiver be required for reinstallation of the new mag tube? I have removed the factory tube and am waiting for the arrival of the new one. I plan to use blue loctite on the new one.

What do you think?

No heat needed. Just add a drop of blue Loctite and thread it in.