Benelli for a woman and clays

HenryTheNoodle

I'm about to pick up my first Benelli - all this M4 talk on the forums has me ready to pull the trigger, errr, buy one of these shotguns. I'm looking forward to my first tactical shotgun and working through some of the modifications I've seen here. Looks like Bud's will get my money - unless any of you guys know about a hot deal elsewhere.

Anyway, my wife wants to shoot clays. She's never shot anything before but been around guns her whole life and is really jazzed to get going. My research thus far for a gun for her has come up with Beretta 3901 Target RL or an AL391 variation. She's 5'5" and 120 - is there a way I can keep this next gun order in the family and go Benelli throughout? Any thoughts on good Benelli options for women would be welcome.

Whatever you buy, make sure it comes with a wooden buttstock. That way you can have her professional fitted for LOP (length of pull). This one adjustment by a gunsmith (usually about $70) will make all the difference between her being a constant shooter or owning a wall hanger.

I'm also 5'5" tall and my LOP is 13" exactly. Before my shotguns were modified, I normally shot 10-12 skeets per round. Afterwards, 22+ per round (skeet).

If your wife enjoys shooting clays and is actually hitting targets, she may not even notice the family has grown by one M4. My choice for her would be either a 12 or 20 guage Benelli Montefeltro.

Being an intro shotty, I agree with Montefeltro. Could also go M2. I really like the Cordoba and Supersport, but those are big $$ that would be better served with practice and ammo.

I believe the Monte and M2 have youth-stocked models. I would STRONGLY recommend at least shouldering the shottys at a store to shee what she is more comfortable with. I believe that youth models only come with 24" barrel though?? (memory here, so forgive me if I'm wrong.) 26 or more would be nicer for trap to be sure.

Best of luck! It is an awesome sport(shotgunning in general.)

2-wheel

My Monty is a youth model in 20 guage which comes with a LOP of 12+1/2 inches. A tad short for me but I try to make up the difference with a coat or sweater. Should of gotten the regular stock and had it cut to 13" LOP.

My other Bennelli is the early H&K M1 S90 in Defense/Police configuration with a LOP of 14+1/4 inches. The synthetic stock makes changing the LOP to 13 inches quite a chore so it's stayed longer.

All my other shotguns which include many Remingtons and Brownings are all cut to 13" LOP. My two favorites are the little 20 guage Monty and my Special Field Browning O/U in 20 gauge. The light weight of the 20 guage Monty makes it perfect for long afternoon walks in the Quail fields and Grouse woods loaded with cheapy Wally-World promo shells.