What ammo to break in new M2?

airpurdue

I have a M2 American on the way. I've heard from one friend that it's a good idea to run a couple of boxes of higher powered shells through a new gun in order to 'break it in.' I didn't see anything in the product manuals addressing this.

It makes some sense, but I thought I'd ask other owners whether this is an accepted, normal practice or an old wives tale.

I'm sure the first time out with the gun will be at the sporting clay range.

Thanks,

C

Shoot a couple of boxes of high brass anything. These guns can be a little ''tight'' from being put together with tight tolerences. All it does is add a little extra oomph to dull the sharp edges, so to say. Most will function with trap loads out of the box, but why not speed the process along with something that you know will not jam the gun. Keep it clean, keep it oiled, break it in, and it will last you a lifetime and then some..Mike

• 12 years later...

I took my m2 out for the first time and nearly every round got stuck and wouldn’t eject. I had to manually remove the expended shell. I shot buck shot about 1250 fps.   Any one know what I should be sooting so this is actually a semi automatic shotgun?

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 3:28 AM, canyon said:

I took my m2 out for the first time and nearly every round got stuck and wouldn’t eject. I had to manually remove the expended shell. I shot buck shot about 1250 fps.   Any one know what I should be sooting so this is actually a semi automatic shotgun?

Did you clean and lube before you shot it?