M-4 Additional C-stock positions beyond the current three?

Teufelshund

Gents, looking at my M-4 C-stock, it appears that it would be very simple to use a dremel tool to add anther stock position indent on the tube. Lots of smart guys here...anyone tried that?

Would be handy for small adjustments, like when wearing body armor.

From what i hear that tube is made of a material that will make your Dremel it's *****. I personally would not attempt it for fear of scarring things up as the dremel bounces out of the groove you are trying to make in that stuff.

Why do you want more? Are the 3 offered not good enough for your positionally, or do you just want it to be tacticool? If the latter, nevermind it. If the former, find a machine-shop and have them machine one bought from Numrich or somewhere and then install that if all goes well. OR do it yourself or try to if you want. I don't know your capabilities, but "a quick outing with the dremel" is not likely to go well and I don't think you should do it on your only recoil tube. Buy a spare and install that when you get done machining it to your liking.

Has nothing to do with "tacticool", as you say. Its for the obvious ergonomic reasons as I stated...having the same eye relief/ length of pull, etc. with or without body armor. Can one manage without doing so? Of course. Would an extra adjustment make for better employment of the weapon? Of course as well. And yeah, I think we all understand that we need to be careful when making such modifications! :)

Edited by Teufelshund

I would seek the help of a professional. I tried to add a position and had less than satisfactory results. Each new position needs two notches cut into the tube (1 and 9 o'clock looking from the rear). I used a the edge of a square file to start the groove. Then, a round file to shape the groove. I only used a dremel to polish the groove. I could never get things to line up correctly. I couldn't get the stock to lock into place properly. I'm sure this was due to lack of precision. Starting with measuring, continuing with cutting, and ending with fitting. I'm sure it can be done, but I lack the skill/knowledge needed to do it by hand. I will try again, but frustration made me put it away for a little while. Maybe I could make a see-thru model of the part of the stock that slides over the recoil spring tube. Then I could see what is going wrong. Clear plastic tubing and a couple wooden rods might do the trick.

I would seek the help of a professional. I tried to add a position and had less than satisfactory results. Each new position needs two notches cut into the tube (1 and 9 o'clock looking from the rear). I used a the edge of a square file to start the groove. Then, a round file to shape the groove. I only used a dremel to polish the groove. I could never get things to line up correctly. I couldn't get the stock to lock into place properly. I'm sure this was due to lack of precision. Starting with measuring, continuing with cutting, and ending with fitting. I'm sure it can be done, but I lack the skill/knowledge needed to do it by hand. I will try again, but frustration made me put it away for a little while. Maybe I could make a see-thru model of the part of the stock that slides over the recoil spring tube. Then I could see what is going wrong. Clear plastic tubing and a couple wooden rods might do the trick.

Thanks Tony! That is exactly the kind of intel I was looking for. The factory mid position may be best anyhow...right after I posted this I laid my other weapons down on my work space side by side. The LOP & eye position with the mid position setting is about the same as that for my MR556s and HK416s (.22LR). This helps when moving from one weapon to another. Thanks very much for your great post!

Thanks Tony! That is exactly the kind of intel I was looking for. The factory mid position may be best anyhow...right after I posted this I laid my other weapons down on my work space side by side. The LOP & eye position with the mid position setting is about the same as that for my MR556s and HK416s (.22LR). This helps when moving from one weapon to another. Thanks very much for your great post!

I noticed what looks like spot heat treating around the notches. The rest of the recoil tube may require an exotic cutter to whittle on. Which position are you going for?? Longer or shorter than mid-position? Just curious.

Gents, looking at my M-4 C-stock, it appears that it would be very simple to use a dremel tool to add anther stock position indent on the tube. Lots of smart guys here...anyone tried that?

Would be handy for small adjustments, like when wearing body armor.

Sometimes all you have to do is think outside the box...

Have you tried lengthening/shortening the length of your arms?

Have you tried lengthening/shortening the length of your neck?

I noticed what looks like spot heat treating around the notches. The rest of the recoil tube may require an exotic cutter to whittle on. Which position are you going for?? Longer or shorter than mid-position? Just curious.

Thanks BM4...good info as well. Too uncertain given the info you guys provided...ain't gonna do it, especially since I've discovered the LOP at mid-position is the same as my HK's.