Most accurate Benelli M1/M2/M4 slug ammo?

Teufelshund

Gents, been doing some research on smooth bore slugs. Looking for the most accurate slug available for non-rifled barrels (and since the gun makes a difference, I should point out that this will be for my M4's). This Brenneke round looks promising. Has the tightest advertised group I've been able to find listed (for non-sabot for smoothbore rounds). I know that doesn't mean it will shoot what they claim, but its a starting point. Some of the other slug manufacturers don't list any specs at all. It has some good reviews for accuracy and barrier-blind capability, and also is fairly clean/little lead fouling because of the painted surface

And thanks for all the great info you guys have been putting out. Huge help with my M4 mods.

"BRENNEKE SPECIAL FORCES SHORT MAGNUM

Due to overwhelming demand for a shotgun slug offering maximum penetration and stopping power, BrennekeUSA is offering the Special Forces Short Magnum, a 12 gauge, 2-3/4-inch round, loaded with a massive 1-1/4-ounce slug. Based on Brenneke’s highly popular Heavy Field Short Magnum that generates muzzle energy greater than many centerfire rifle cartridges. The SFSM is capable of five-shot groups as tight as 2.95 inches at 100 yards, 1.4 inches at 50 yards. For more information, contact brennekeusa.com"

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/special_forces_short_magnum.html

Try 3-4 brands in choke constrictions from IC to MOD and you will find a combo that works for you.

A shotgun does not have one load that it likes, and each one is different.

Some things I HAVE noticed out of the small sampling of M4S90's I have owned:

They all did very well with 2.75" 8-pellet 000 Buck of most any brand (only 2 exist that I could get, Remington and Federal. I prefer remingtons as they are sealed and "nicer" looking and not as lumpy, if you will) and an IC to MOD choke (different ones liked different chokes).

They also liked the 1oz "Sluggers" at 1560fps through IC to MOD, I noticed no difference.

Try 3-4 brands in choke constrictions from IC to MOD and you will find a combo that works for you.

A shotgun does not have one load that it likes, and each one is different.

Some things I HAVE noticed out of the small sampling of M4S90's I have owned:

They all did very well with 2.75" 8-pellet 000 Buck of most any brand (only 2 exist that I could get, Remington and Federal. I prefer remingtons as they are sealed and "nicer" looking and not as lumpy, if you will) and an IC to MOD choke (different ones liked different chokes).

They also liked the 1oz "Sluggers" at 1560fps through IC to MOD, I noticed no difference.

Thanks Un. Yeah, I understand it depends at great deal on the gun (that's why I specifically mentioned M4), and even individual guns. But, before I buy some slugs, it would be great to get some benchrest smoothbore M4 accuracy test data from some hard chargers who may have tested different slug brands themselves, i.e. "I shot consistent ___ inch groups at 100 yards with ___." (And before someone says "training is the most important" yeah, I think we know that! :) ) In regards to choke recommendations, I was surprised that you made the Modified choke recommendation along with IC. I am absolutely not saying you are wrong...just that everything I've read, seen and heard recommends IC or Cylinder for smoothbore slugs (I am ignoring rifled chokes). For those shooting Brenneke...I have personally spoken to the senior tech rep at Brenneke, who told me that their slugs are most accurate through a Cylinder choke. Haven't called Federal yet...if I hear something different, will post.

Thanks Un. Yeah, I understand it depends at great deal on the gun (that's why I specifically mentioned M4), and even individual guns. But, before I buy some slugs, it would be great to get some benchrest smoothbore M4 accuracy test data from some hard chargers who may have tested different slug brands themselves, i.e. "I shot consistent ___ inch groups at 100 yards with ___." (And before someone says "training is the most important" yeah, I think we know that! :) ) In regards to choke recommendations, I was surprised that you made the Modified choke recommendation along with IC. I am absolutely not saying you are wrong...just that everything I've read, seen and heard recommends IC or Cylinder for smoothbore slugs (I am ignoring rifled chokes). For those shooting Brenneke...I have personally spoken to the senior tech rep at Brenneke, who told me that their slugs are most accurate through a Cylinder choke. Haven't called Federal yet...if I hear something different, will post.

Individual guns like individual stuff. A shotgun/slug combo is not like a pistol or rifle even in that you can recommend a certain brand for a certain gun. They are all quirky and need to be tested individually.

That said, I have had good luck with 1oz Remington Sluggers. Choke-size has not effected group size with these slugs, and a Foster slug is safe to fire from any size choke up to and including full. TYPICALLY IC will show the best results (supposedly), but my testing did not show a difference that I could attribute to the choke. Obviously I wouldn't start with a "Full" choke, nor would I recommend it, only that it won't blow up (unless it's a "thin-wall"-not good for slugs anyway, which your M4 is not).

I had excellent accuracy with the Federal Truball LEB127 RS load through my M4. You should get your best results with IC and LT MOD chokes. You can check the patterns I have gotten on http://www.blackborechokes.com under Tactical HD. Just so you know what you are looking at, the targets center is 3" with the clover leaf holes the slug holes. The other holes are from the "wad" of the Fed Truball load.

Godd shooting!

GTPSC

http://www.blackborechokes.com

• 9 years later...

Just got the M2 12 gauge rifled this fall and it likes the Federal Premium Vital-Shok 2-3/4" 300 grain Trophy Copper sabots, only shot it out to 75 yards with a red dot sight and had 2" groups, much better than the stock iron sights. Would have tried it out to 100 yards but had limited ammo thanks to Covid so had to call it good right before deer hunting season. Haven't tried a scope on it yet. I did try a few Hornady SST 2-3/4" 300 grain and Remington 3" 438 grain Premier Expander sabots with the iron sights before I got the red dot, but only out to about 30 yards and the Remingtons were a little more accurate, but the 2-3/4" don't kick as bad. I didn't like the huge front vertical white line on the front sight that covered the target so I put the red dot on and the raised comb and love it now, fun to shoot. Like everyone says - probably have to try different brands and see what she likes. Going to experiment more if ammo ever becomes available again!