procedure to unload a M4

crofton

If the gun is ghost loaded, there will be a round in the chamber and one on the carrier.

Two cycles of the bolt via pulling back on the handle will clear them both out.

To unload the tube (assuming no round is in the chamber or carrier) you have two methods:

1. Push the shell drop lever to eject a round onto the carrier. Work the action twice

to raise the shell from the carrier into the chamber and then extract it from the chamber.

Repeat for each remaining round in the tube.

2. Push in on the shell catch to release one round from the magazine tube at a time until empty.

If the gun is ghost loaded, there will be a round in the chamber and one on the carrier.

Two cycles of the bolt via pulling back on the handle will clear them both out.

To unload the tube (assuming no round is in the chamber or carrier) you have two methods:

1. Push the shell drop lever to eject a round onto the carrier. Work the action twice

to raise the shell from the carrier into the chamber and then extract it from the chamber.

Repeat for each remaining round in the tube.

2. Push in on the shell catch to release one round from the magazine tube at a time until empty.

Yes, that's the Benelli Manual method. You may already know this, but The FASTEST (and frankly easiest) way to empty is to not use the carrier latch and instead do this:

1) Hold the weapon in your weapon hand (strong hand, or right hand if right handed) with your hand around the pistol grip and index finger on the cartridge drop lever. The buttpad should be under your right armpit.

2) Cant the weapon slightly so you can see the ejection port.

3) Press and HOLD in the cartridge drop lever, and work the bolt with your reaction hand (weak hand, or left hand) using firm, full length strokes. You can unload 9 rounds in less than 3 seconds using this technique.

Have fun Crofton!...great choice on the gun. Gets better the more you use it.

Edited by Teufelshund

The quickest way to unload the M4.

1. Point the barrel safely downrange

2. Disengage the safety

3. Pull the trigger until the gun stops going boom

However, if I do not wish to send any lead downrange

1. Rack the bolt twice (once to remove a shell from the chamber, again to remove the ghost that was on the carrier)

2. Point the barrel strait up, hold the forearm with your left hand

3. Reach into the loading port with the right hand and press the shell catch lever with the middle finger until the magazine is empty

The shells will slide one at a time out of the magazine onto your middle finger. You can easily grab and hold multiple shells with your thumb and index finger. I don't see any good reason to cycle each shell through the action.

The quickest way to unload the M4.

1. Point the barrel safely downrange

2. Disengage the safety

3. Pull the trigger until the gun stops going boom

However, if I do not wish to send any lead downrange

1. Rack the bolt twice (once to remove a shell from the chamber, again to remove the ghost that was on the carrier)

2. Point the barrel strait up, hold the forearm with your left hand

3. Reach into the loading port with the right hand and press the shell catch lever with the middle finger until the magazine is empty.

Since we are being sardonic, I think he said "unload" not "discharge!" :)

And as far as cycling the action goes, yeah, no reason to do it...except for the fact that its faster! Ha. And we already outlined Benelli's technique before you rehashed it again...no one is opposed to doing it that way, including me...its a fine technique. Just trying to help the guy out with an alternative he might like. Try loading and unloading your weapon 50 times in one day (e.g. when conducting speed load drills)...most people get tired of the slower Benelli method very quickly. Besides, the more time spent unloading, the less time you have to practice the important stuff, like loading! And the more practice you get manually working that bolt, the better you will be. And its fun...work the bolt and spit your shells right into your range bag. Anyhow, just one technique. The Benelli manual technique is good as well...and something I do too.

Anyhow, is there any reason NOT to cycle the action? Maybe for safe queens. And by the way, it's called the "carrier latch", not "shell catch lever." :)

Sidenote: you can remove the fore-end cap and spring, keep the barrel pointing down, and practice speed loading so that the rounds fall out the end...but that's not that's not the same as loading against spring pressure, so its a bad technique in my opinion.

Edited by Teufelshund

@Teufelshund

I had to look up sardonic. Adjective:Grimly mocking or cynical. I simply stated the two methods I use to "empty" my magazine. Pardon my terminology. I have read the manual, but I have not studied it.

The fact that your technique is faster for you does not apply to me. I can press the carrier latch faster than I can cycle the bolt, and I get the benefit of the shells being placed directly into my open hand.

I prefer not to place a live round in the chamber after it has already been cleared.

What works best for someone, doesn't work best for everyone. I am not an expert or claim to be one. I can only relate my own personal experience and preferences.

There was another post on here recently and the consensus seemed to be that some M4's can be challenging to unload using the shell release lever method. I know mine is. It's well broken in and while having never been accused of being a genius, I am of average intelligence and strength. YMMV

Peace