Tube And C-stock Mods Complete!

Teufelshund

[ATTACH]714[/ATTACH]

Gents, first thanks for all the great posts here. You've all made some great suggestions for modifications (particularly StrangerDanger, Unobtanium, BigHat, Hookster, to name a few). Just finished the tube install (beautiful, thanks Kip) and C-stock install (thanks HK2000!) as recommended. For those that haven't done more than one of these, the ease of removal varies greatly between one gun and another, so if you get a hard one, its not you! The first tube was very easy...took about 2 minutes. Second one was at least 10 times harder to remove, and after removing it I found out why...at least 10 times more Loctite was put on the threads by the Benelli installer. By the way, out of fear of damaging something, I just wrapped the receiver in a towel and held in my legs, while twisting the tube off with leather gloves. Not the easiest method, but the safest. Anyhow, thanks y'all!

Edited by Teufelshund

Looks good! I'll be installing my collapsible stock as soon as my US-made hammer arrives (it is enroute.) I need to put mine on a set of scales at that time to see where I sit as compared to factory. I've got a KZ rail, titanium tube, vertical grip, and c-stock, so I'm curious as to how much weight I've added over factory configuration.

The KZ rail adds something like 16 ounces, but you lose something like 4 ounces by removing the factory rail. That puts me at +12 ounces. Then I swapped in a titanium mag tube, which drops something like 5 ounces. That should put me at +7 ounces plus the weight of the vertical grip.

Looks good! I'll be installing my collapsible stock as soon as my US-made hammer arrives (it is enroute.) I need to put mine on a set of scales at that time to see where I sit as compared to factory. I've got a KZ rail, titanium tube, vertical grip, and c-stock, so I'm curious as to how much weight I've added over factory configuration.

The KZ rail adds something like 16 ounces, but you lose something like 4 ounces by removing the factory rail. That puts me at +12 ounces. Then I swapped in a titanium mag tube, which drops something like 5 ounces. That should put me at +7 ounces plus the weight of the vertical grip.

Where did you get the US Made hammer?

They look great!

Here is some weight data I have collected with my postal scale:

Benelli M4 Factory Handguards: 5.0 Ounces

Surefire M80 Rail System (stripped, no rail covers ect...): 7.9 Ounces

Surefire Ladder Rail: 0.4 Ounces

Magpul XTM Panel (two pieces): 0.25 Ounces

Factory Top Rail with screws and washers: 1.59 Ounces

Given that carriercomp's Titanium tube weighs in at 5.5 ounces, you save approximately 5 ounces of weight by doing this modification. However, given that you're adding two rounds to the weapon, and each round typically weighs about 2 ounces each, you're looking at a wash in terms of weight savings. This is far better than the alternative though. Essentially, you're adding no adverse weight to the weapon, and getting additional capacity.

The Surefire M80 doesn't weigh much more than the factory handguards, but it allows you the option to turn the front end into a boat anchor if you're not careful. Even rail covers can add up in weight. 12 sets of XTM's will add 3 ounces. I haven't weighed the LaRue Index clips, but I imagine they're significantly less. Plus, they're more comfortable IMO.