Has anyone considered mounting a green laser on their M4?

Sukhoi_fan

Thanks for your opinion newb.

Back to Sukhoi,

The green one my brother has on his AR is insane bright and projects a very clean laser image. If you like it and see a use for it I'd buy it.

Thx for the FB. I've screwed around with a green laser a friend had (not a Viridian) in the daylight and that sucker was BRIGHT. If the model I referenced doesn't work out on the M4 then I can always install it on my XD or Glock.

Thanks for your opinion newb.

Back to Sukhoi,

The green one my brother has on his AR is insane bright and projects a very clean laser image. If you like it and see a use for it I'd buy it.

your welcome because you need a laser on a ******* shotgun newb ! if your that bad of a shot with a shotgun you need a laser you need to rethink life imho!

You don't NEED a laser on anything. But you also needn't insult people for wanting to be able to get the shotgun on target faster. Even the best can appreciate a little help under stress and in poor light ... Or wounded.

Tact and respect, folks. You don't have to be nice to each other, but you don't get respect unless you show respect. And if you're going to represent your service in a discussion forum, take that into consideration. You might enjoy the anonymity of the Internet, but your service does not. How you interact with others will inform their opinions of your service, and of this country. (This might be a BenelliUSA forum, but there are extranationals trolling around here as well.)

What can I say? Some people have no experience being very seriously wounded and about to pass out due to exsanguination, yet having to carry on the fight with their shotgun as best they can until help arrives. BTDT I want every advantage I can get. As a good friend and combat vet (of the SE Asian war games) likes to say, "If you find yourself in a fair fight then your tactics suck!"

Not necessarily tacticool, just practical. A good reliable laser works wonders for quick target acquisition. Not a whole lot of difference between adding a flashlight and adding a laser.

Massive difference.

A flashlight is used for:

threat ID

Navigation

without it you are not doing any good half the time

A green laser is good for:

Intimidation?

You cannot sell me on a laser over a red-dot optic, or in addition to, or instead of.

A small point of order:

The notion that red and / or green lasers cannot be easily seen in the daytime is nonsense......we include them in the AlphaCase survival kits.

These small handheld lasers powered by a single CR123 battery can easily be seen at distances of 1-5 miles in the daytime and 20 -30 miles at night. See attached.

A small point of order:

The notion that red and / or green lasers cannot be easily seen in the daytime is nonsense......we include them in the AlphaCase survival kits.

These small handheld lasers powered by a single CR123 battery can easily be seen at distances of 1-5 miles in the daytime and 20 -30 miles at night. See attached.

Have you compared heads-up a green and red laser of comparable quality in the daylight? Print and technicality is nice, but seeing is believing.

A green laser is good for:

Intimidation?

Some folks don't want a laser, that's fine. Some do. Two points on the usefulness of lasers (or lacktherof, if you're so inclinded to believe):

1) Don't knock intimidation. The "Rebel Yell" had an effect on Union soldiers during the Civil war; many turned tail and ran when confronted with a mass of screaming Rebel bodies. We still teach and utilize a "war cry" in the US Marine Corps for intimidation. We continue to issue and train with bayonets for intimidation. In Iraq, 2003 or 2004 I think, an outnumbered and cut off British platoon low on ammunition fixed bayonets and charged their numerically-superior Iraqi/insurgent enemies ... And routed them. Not a single Brit was killed. Most of the insurgents turned tail and ran, and a half-dozen or so received pointed "thank you's" for sticking around. Two months ago, a private citizen (from another forum) reported confronting a person attempting to "gain access" to a neighbor's home (and daughter) and trained his carbine on him. The perpetrator continued to try to work his way inside and eventually turned towards the man with the carbine. (It was dark, so he probably only saw the light on the carbine and may not have known it was a firearm.) When the man turned on his little laser, the perp stopped dead in his tracks and wimpered "don't shoot me" (or it might have been "don't tase me," I read this some time ago) until Police arrived. He's still alive today because of that laser. Intimidation works; don't knock it.

2) If you cannot shoulder your boomstick for whatever reason (confined space, injury, need to remain behind cover) a laser will help you aim that thing when you cannot line up the sights. As we all know, you still have to aim a shotgun. It's not going to reliably put little lead/steel balls in a bad guy by pulling the trigger while it is pointed in the general direction. You might get lucky and get the BG, or you might get dead.

I haven't got a laser, but I see what they're good for. We have to weigh our perceived value of the device against other factors to determine if they are right for each of us. Some just aren't going to go for it, and that's fine.

Edited by LeoAtrox

Well since my previous post was deleted for some unknown reason by the overzealous moderation team that apparently has taken command of this forum, allow me to restate my views in a much more concise manner.

1) - If you lose an arm, you have no way to activate your laser ... unless you're leaving it "clicked on" and then lose your arm, in which case you are sending a tracking beacon to everyone around as to your current location.

2) - Using a green laser for "intimidation" to avoid a shoot is the same philosophy that "racking a shotgun sends them running" or "warning shots let them know I'm not fooling around" or "using birdshot lets me hurt them without the liability of killing them". In all cases, flawed logic and junk science are the culprits, yet all three have strong proponents that actually think it's a good idea.

3) - A light is infinitely more useful than a laser on a shotgun. Proper usage and light discipline are key. You don't just "click" the light on and then go roving ... that makes you a lighthouse and thus a target. Short bursts of light to illuminate areas, followed by movement away from that position as lights have a way of attracting bullets from bad guys.

4) - I'm not sold on the idea of any optic being needed for a shotgun for HD, let alone a green laser with a visible beam. I'm not speaking out of inexperience, I spent $800 or so and bought the surefire green laser back in the day and used it for a bit with a LMT AR ... and I promptly sold it. It was a toy / novelty / gimmick at best, at worst it was a bullet magnet / unnecessary weight / unnecessary opportunity cost.

Now, that being said ... lasers certainly have their use in warfare and in self defense. IR lasers are a game changer when paired with night vision and air support, and red lasers on CCW guns can greatly increase your chances of getting rounds on target. I just don't think they are appropriate or necessary for a HD shotgun at point blank range ... and if you're using your shotgun at 100 yards, you're doing it wrong.

Have you compared heads-up a green and red laser of comparable quality in the daylight? Print and technicality is nice, but seeing is believing.

My expert technicians and myself field test every device we deploy in our survival kits........the lasers cited above are made by the same company and thus quality. They were not designed to be mounted as a weapons light as they have a 5 degree exit beam which makes them highly visible as well as safe to look directly into their path, as the optical density is much less than a weapons / seminar designed exit beam collimation which typically in the range of 1 mm.

My only point in mentioning them was to provide an accurate counter statement to someone suggesting the beam per se was not visible unless engaged on a distant target surface. That's all.

My expert technicians and myself field test every device we deploy in our survival kits........the lasers cited above are made by the same company and thus quality. They were not designed to be mounted as a weapons light as they have a 5 degree exit beam which makes them highly visible as well as safe to look directly into their path, as the optical density is much less than a weapons / seminar designed exit beam collimation which typically in the range of 1 mm.

My only point in mentioning them was to provide an accurate counter statement to someone suggesting the beam per se was not visible unless engaged on a distant target surface. That's all.

Thanks for passing along some factual info on the topic. Interesting scoop.

Specifically with reference to a HD situation, I think anything that diminishes night vision and/or that requires additional steps (finding/pushing buttons other than a safety, locating beam placement), tends to be a detriment rather than a help.

1) - If you lose an arm, you have no way to activate your laser ... unless you're leaving it "clicked on" and then lose your arm, in which case you are sending a tracking beacon to everyone around as to your current location.

2) - Using a green laser for "intimidation" to avoid a shoot is the same philosophy that "racking a shotgun sends them running" or "warning shots let them know I'm not fooling around" or "using birdshot lets me hurt them without the liability of killing them". In all cases, flawed logic and junk science are the culprits, yet all three have strong proponents that actually think it's a good idea.

1) Good points. Along with other considerations, one should certainly consider when and how a laser aiming device would be employed in certain situations before deciding whether or not to buy one. (I do, and I don't have any lasers ...)

2) I never suggested that someone should RELY on a laser's (or anything else's) intimdation factor to avoid a fight. That certainly would be flawed logic. (Some fights just can't be avoided.) That said, intimidation CAN play a role, and considering as many potential cause/effect scenarios is always wise. It doesn't hurt to give it some consideration. It might help in some cases, but certainly not all. Is it worth the cost in cash, space, and weight? Only the man holding the cash can make that determination.

I'm not so much a believer in the intimidation factor. If i'm going to shoot someone it won't be a warning shot, if I'm going to aim at someone it's going to be right before i pull the trigger. If you up the ante you also need to be prepared for the other person to do the same. They won't always back down.

However, if the laser increases your confidence and lessens your anxiety allowing a better shot then it's worth it. I think of it more as a plus for the person who isn't as well trained. Imagine, you might go to the range and be really good at target practice, but can't control your adrenaline (like most people who probably haven't been through real training or have combat experience).

I wouldn't personally put a laser on a shotgun, more likely i would on a pistol though. But I don't believe it a complete waste if that is your desire to put it on.

However, if the laser increases your confidence and lessens your anxiety allowing a better shot then it's worth it. I think of it more as a plus for the person who isn't as well trained. Imagine, you might go to the range and be really good at target practice, but can't control your adrenaline (like most people who probably haven't been through real training or have combat experience).

I realy agree with this. I have never been in a shoot or get shot situation and I can only guess it is nutz.

I have been in a cage in front of 4-5 thousand people getting ready to just do a simple MMA fight and honest truth it is suck a rush that I get like a foggy vision when the are saying my name , city ,record ect. I am gonna guess putting a gun in my hands would be 100 times worse.

saying all that I do have a surefire X400 (with laser) for a few reasons first it was just as cheap as a X300 and second I think it is fun just to mess with it

A small point of order:

If you're saying you can see the BEAM of red light in the daylight and not what it's POINTED AT - that's nonsense. Remember I'm talking about the beam - if you think you can see the beam of light for 1.5 miles in the daylight - not what the beam is pointed or directed at, but he beam itself, that's BS. Take one outside right now and point it at whatever you like, you won't pick the beam out in daylight. You'll have a better chance at night, but only if you know what you're looking for. I'm not saying it's invisible, nor am I talking about the target you have it pointed at. Green lasers are more visible light to the naked eye than red light is.