Nova Firing Pin Problem

Chessie Dog

I've had my Nova for three years, keep it clean. Recently it has been giving me alot of trouble. It seems that the firing pin is barely touching the primer. Leaving a small indentation and the shell will not go off. Other guys will put the same shell in their gun and it will shoot. To me it's a safety concern not to mention, I'm not getting shots off. Winchester, Federal and Remington shells, any ideas out there. I'm getting mad and ready to go to another brand.

Firing pins can wear out, maybe it just needs to be replaced- or it could be a spring problem or a broken part in the mechanism?? I'd take it to a gunsmith and see what he says. Sometimes you can get a bad box of shells with primer problems but if you have tried different brands, that should rule that out. Let us know and good luck.

I would strip the gun, remove the bolt, and flush the entire bolt assembly with a good aerosol gun cleaner giving special attention to the firing pin area. If that doesn't solve the problem, I'd return the gun to Benelli. My experience has been that it is usually best to return a gun with serious problems to the manufacturer for repairs. They have the experience, not to mention replacement parts, to fix the problem.

I too am having the same problem. I have cleaned the system out and am still leaving a very small indention. A friend is shooting an 1187 and his primer dent is way deeper than mine. Nothing looks wore on it. was not real happy when I went hunting and all I could do was click at the ducks and watch everyone else shoot.

Wow, this scares me a little bit. I'm supposed to go pick up my new Benelli Nova tonight
Heck, I'm in the same boat...after seaching for more than one month I've paid out on the Nova and will be picking my up in a week. The firing pin problem has to boil down to some gundge inside the firing pin port where the pin stop would be. The is a good chance a build up over the years could be preventing the pin from seating fully. Especially since the unit worked fine for three years. Wear is possible but in only three years....I've not heard this about the Nova. My bet is dirt.

I have removed the firing pin and cleaned it very well with some of the Gun Scrubber in the can and I even removed about 3 coils off of the spring and it is hitting a little harder but does not hit like I think it should. I put some shells in the freezer to get them cold and it did shoot them. I guess I will try it one more time in the field before switching brands. I emailed benelli tech staff and it took about 2 weeks to hear from them. All they said was to be extremely firm in the action. I figure that with being upset at watching my freinds shoot at all ducks and geese and all I was doing was making clicking noises at them I was probably a bit firm with the action already. Does anybody know a good place to get replacement parts for the nova.

[ 12-19-2005, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: jfrizman ]

I ended up cutting three rings off the spring, cleaned out the port again and it fired, Winchesters, Federals and Remingtons fine. I even pulled back on the pump action before firing and it is working. Maybe this will take care of it, I hope so. I'll find out tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the input.

. It seems that the firing pin is barely touching the primer.
Another question here. When the bolt is out of the gun, push the firing pin where the hammer strikes. Push it with a screw driver or something. When pushed all the way to seating, does the pin project about 1/8" past the bolt face? or does it bottem out and hardly protrude even with pressure from the screw driver pushing the pin forward.