Sling

Don

I have a Benelli M4 but because of shoulder injuries I cannot fire from the shoulder; thus I fire from the hip. I presently have a Magpul Shooter’s, Rhodesian-style sling but it’s too short. I would appreciate any suggestions.

• Upvote 1

As a life-long student of martial arts I have numerous injuries, among them torn rotator cuffs on both shoulders. I am right-handed and left eye dominant. I cannot lift the Benelli to get a sight picture. I thought the Magpul shooter’s sling would help support it, but no luck. I’ve pimped it out wth a Crimson Trace green laser/light combo and a Fortis hand-stop and a B&T handguard and an aluminum Sureshell carrier-so its heavy. Any advice you can give me i would be most appreciative. Thank you so much for your interest.

Don

On 7/14/2022 at 7:33 PM, Don said:

As a life-long student of martial arts I have numerous injuries, among them torn rotator cuffs on both shoulders. I am right-handed and left eye dominant. I cannot lift the Benelli to get a sight picture. I thought the Magpul shooter’s sling would help support it, but no luck. I’ve pimped it out wth a Crimson Trace green laser/light combo and a Fortis hand-stop and a B&T handguard and an aluminum Sureshell carrier-so its heavy. Any advice you can give me i would be most appreciative. Thank you so much for your interest.

Don

Have you considered surgery? As we age, recovery times and projected outcomes become less appealing. The best day to fix an ortho injury is yesterday.

My concern is the recoil causing exacerbation of the issues, but moreover, inability to shoulder the weapon points to many other complications in your daily life as well, and fixing this is honestly more about enjoying life than shouldering your benelli.

*complex medical history may make the above moot.

If you send me your address, via PM, I will mail you some spare slings. Assuming you live in the continental US. Keep the one that works best, and mail the others back to me.

Edited by Unobtanium
  • Upvote 3

Reposted from another discussion:

I use mil-surp M60 slings with qd mounts. Nothing fancy, you have to adjust them using tri-glides but they're wide and nicely padded as they are meant for much heavier guns. Last time I bought some they were $20 each. You can have any color you want as long as it's black.

Search on Gunbroker for "M60 sling" there are a few for $14.95.

Edited by StreetSweeper56
Add info

UNOBTANIUM,

Thank you for your generous offer to send me your slings. Based on a recommendation from the techie at Brownells, I ordered a Specter CST 3 point sling from Specter.

i hope this works-if not, I will take you up on your kind offer. 

With regard to my shoulders, a number years ago a highly regarded surgeon at NY Presbyterian Hospital in NYC advised me that the that the only thing that could be done was to completely replace both my shoulders. In view of the fact that i had already had both hips replaced I didn't want to go through another major surgery. A lifetime of combat athletics has taken its toll.

3 minutes ago, Don said:

UNOBTANIUM,

Thank you for your generous offer to send me your slings. Based on a recommendation from the techie at Brownells, I ordered a Specter CST 3 point sling from Specter.

i hope this works-if not, I will take you up on your kind offer. 

With regard to my shoulders, a number years ago a highly regarded surgeon at NY Presbyterian Hospital in NYC advised me that the that the only thing that could be done was to completely replace both my shoulders. In view of the fact that i had already had both hips replaced I didn't want to go through another major surgery. A lifetime of combat athletics has taken its toll.

Technology and best practice changes. Might be worth another consult at your leisure? Regardless, just let me know if you need some slings to try. Happy to help!