M4 B&t Quad Rail Problems

canyonair

Just bought a B&T Forend Quad Rail for my Benelli M4. Everything looked good until I tried to install it.

Apparently, Benelli did some design changes to the barrels on the new M4s so you are now required to remove six threadlocked hex screws to separate the upper rail from the main assembly. I applied about 15 minutes of high heat to lossen the threadlocker, tried and it did not budge. Again applied the heat to try it again. This time stripped the hex screw head.

I did not try the other screws and promptly sent the rail back to DSArms. I asked them if they could remove the upper rail. If they will, I will not request a refund. Anyone else have a similiar problem with this product?

I went back and reviewed some older posts about venting issues. A more recent post concerned the screw issue which im dealing with now. What other issues are out there about the B&T M4 Rail System? Besides the Surefire M80, what are the other options for a forend rail system?

From what I remember, the complaints went something like this:

1) - Poor venting, got hot very easily or something

2) - The open rail apparently doesn't stop the hot gas from flying in your face and hands.

3) - The screw issue, and the new barrel profile doesn't fit the BT rail right

4) - overall poor fit/finish

I've never used one, so I can't say anything firsthand about them. I've just talked to a few people who have had them, and that is what I remember them saying IIRC.

As far a rail options, it's pretty limited. Surefire, B&T, and mesa tactical if they ever decide to complete their vaporware rail. I'm not holding my breath.

• 3 weeks later...
From what I remember, the complaints went something like this:

1) - Poor venting, got hot very easily or something

2) - The open rail apparently doesn't stop the hot gas from flying in your face and hands.

3) - The screw issue, and the new barrel profile doesn't fit the BT rail right

4) - overall poor fit/finish

I've never used one, so I can't say anything firsthand about them. I've just talked to a few people who have had them, and that is what I remember them saying IIRC.

As far a rail options, it's pretty limited. Surefire, B&T, and mesa tactical if they ever decide to complete their vaporware rail. I'm not holding my breath.

All user issues.

#1 & #2 are related.

If the rail is not fitted properly, this can lead to gas escaping from where it should not. When the rail is properly installed, NO gas should blow in your face or on your hands.

It should never be assumed that the tools provided with a product are all that you need for proper installation. I used my own allen wrench and it was notably tighter in the screw heads than the wrench that was provided. Many people strip the screws because the wrong wrench is being used.

The fit and finish on my rail is top notch.

On another note, the best way to breakdown the locktight on the rail is to stick it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. This takes care of the problem very quick.

It is easy to simply blame a product, but in reality, this one is an issue of too many shade tree mechanics blowing up motors they should not be trying to work on.

The B&T rail is a lot like the quadrails on ARs that require you to remove the delta ring. It is NOT like the cheap rails that simply pop into place where the plastic handguards sit. The B&T rails require a bit more ""know how" and patience.

This is simply an issue of you get what you pay for, and when I say pay, I am not only talking about the price, but also in regard to the time one is willing to invest into getting the job done right.

• 13 years later...

I had no problems installing the rail.  Because I have a side armor removable six shell holder attached to my shotgun I did have to cut the little nipple off the rail.  And, the B&T is beefier than most rails.  Bottom line, I thrilled!  I replaced my 11" Truckee forearm with it.  That Truckee was a MFer to install and un install!

• 3 months later...

Coming in late on the conversation regarding the B&T Quad Rail from Switzerland. I had made contact with Switzerland when I 1st tried to purchase mine over 10 years ago. I was told by the executive staff that they could not sell it to me as a civilian in the USA. Their contracts were with law enforcement and military only. It was pure luck that I found a small company in the US that had ordered one for someone and that individual never picked it up. I installed mine with no problem about 10 years ago.  I have fired at least 1000 rounds through my M4 using the B&T quad rail and never had any gas or abnormal heat issues as the B&T is well vented. I just recently removed mine. I wanted to go back to a simpler set up on my M4. I will say that the B&T quad rail for the M4 is a perfectly engineered well made product for use by police and military world wide. I would have to say that any installation issues would most likely be user error on the installers part. It is nice to see that B&T now has its company in USA as well as Switzerland and is selling its products to the civilian market.

4 RAIL 1.jpg

Edited by bodybuilder

• 9 months later...

Hi bodybuilder

I too love b&t rail and completely agree it's best aftermarket option..I'm seeing alot of threads that are blaming rail for ring to snap off barrel.. I am ignoring all negative comments but would feel better to know that to date you still have had no problems with yours and if you can specify approximately how many rounds thus far ..thanks in advance.

• 4 months later...

I just ordered the B&T rail because my Briley ($285) has developed a small amount of rotational play which cannot be eliminated by tightening the mag cap as far as possible and which did not become manifest until putting about 200 heavy 00 buck and slugs through the gun.

I did not realize there was a "filler" piece as part of the B&T setup which appears to me that you must remove each time you want to get to the ARGO pistons....yes? Sounds annoying and I'll see how I like the B&T. If a PIA, I'll go back to stock polymer grips and consider the $700+ I've spent on two tries, an expensive experiment!

Edited by JRA

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old topic, so apologies in advance...

I just received one of these B&T Quad Rails from MGW (part #BT-211510, link: https://bt-parts.com/bt-211510-b-t-handguard-for-benelli-m4-super-90/#description) to see how it will fare replacing a rail from Agency Arms MLOK Rail (https://www.agencyarms.com/benelli-m4-compatible-mlok-handguard) on my M4 H2O from 2020 . The only reason for this rail swap is to see if the B&T will be better covering the top of the barrel near the receiver while providing decent mounting points for a light and etc., as the Agency Arms is "open" at the top when mounted and is still hot w/ gloves.

The B&T website for the quad rail states: " *Please note, due to possible revisions that have been implemented to the Benelli M4 Super 90, your firearm may require hand fitting for proper function depending on the specific revision you currently own. "

I've got a new M4 Entry (w/ 2024 mfg date) in the penalty box, and I'm willing to try this B&T quad rail out on it to see what are the potential issues some shooters are having. The "new" Benelli OEM quad rail looks nice, but I'd rather have the more actual/useable space on the B&T quad rail if I can get it to work properly. If so, I'm purchasing another B&T to have two for my M4's and I'll be parting ways with the Agency Arms M-LOK rail as well as the Benelli OEM quad rail soon. More to follow...

8 minutes ago, AIRB0RNE6176 said:

Reviving an old topic, so apologies in advance...

I just received one of these B&T Quad Rails from MGW (part #BT-211510, link: https://bt-parts.com/bt-211510-b-t-handguard-for-benelli-m4-super-90/#description) to see how it will fare replacing a rail from Agency Arms MLOK Rail (https://www.agencyarms.com/benelli-m4-compatible-mlok-handguard) on my M4 H2O from 2020 . The only reason for this rail swap is to see if the B&T will be better covering the top of the barrel near the receiver while providing decent mounting points for a light and etc., as the Agency Arms is "open" at the top when mounted and is still hot w/ gloves.

The B&T website for the quad rail states: " *Please note, due to possible revisions that have been implemented to the Benelli M4 Super 90, your firearm may require hand fitting for proper function depending on the specific revision you currently own. "

I've got a new M4 Entry (w/ 2024 mfg date) in the penalty box, and I'm willing to try this B&T quad rail out on it to see what are the potential issues some shooters are having. The "new" Benelli OEM quad rail looks nice, but I'd rather have the more actual/useable space on the B&T quad rail if I can get it to work properly. If so, I'm purchasing another B&T to have two for my M4's and I'll be parting ways with the Agency Arms M-LOK rail as well as the Benelli OEM quad rail soon. More to follow...

Never cared for the b&t rail.Id rather have the factory muilti rail 

Edited by rubicon20032003
  • Like 1

Why would you rate the new factory (OEM) multi rail over the B&T quad rail? The OEM requires the proprietary pic rail sections, whereas the B&T doesn't. Of course, this is only an option   IF  the B&T isn't as much of a PITA as it seems to be for some. 

Would you also run with the OEM multi rail over the Agency Arms rail on a 2020 M4 for top barrel & receiver coverage?

THX