M3 failure to fire in pump action

cib18ev

Hello all, just registered on the site, and I am writing to ask about a problem with my M3 shotgun. ( I used the Benelli factory website help and haven't heard back)
My M3 functions flawlessly on semi-auto, but when switched to pump action, it fails to discharge when the trigger is pulled -
- it will load and chamber a round (pump action)
- the hammer will audibly drop
- if switched back to semi-auto shotgun fires (after recocking hammer).

Any thoughts?

I have had the M3 since 1996, and until I saw a Youtube video of an M3 being fired in pump-mode I just thought you had to use the thumb switch (to switch between semi and pump) to go "pump action" for every round.

You might need to chamber the round with a more forceful forward stroke.

Benellis are notorious for not fully locking.  The hammer will drop, but no bang.  Look at your extractor after you chamber a round...if it's not rotated up to about a 2-o'clock position, the bolt is not locked.  You need a little more forceful forward stroke.

Edited by Varangian

• 2 months later...
On 11/19/2022 at 2:53 AM, cib18ev said:
Hello all, just registered on the site, and I am writing to ask about a problem with my M3 shotgun. ( I used the Benelli factory website help and haven't heard back)
My M3 functions flawlessly on semi-auto, but when switched to pump action, it fails to discharge when the trigger is pulled -

Any thoughts?

I have had the M3 since 1996, and until I saw a Youtube video of an M3 being fired in pump-mode I just thought you had to use the thumb switch (to switch between semi and pump) to go "pump action" for every round.

First of all, the trigger does not lock back. You can release it and squeeze it again,but it won't do anything until you operate the action and chamber 

Any thoughts?

To me, the only drawback to both the Tommygun and the grease gun was that there were no bayonet lugs. Other than that I would be happy to be issued either. Shanking someone with the bayonet would be awfully up close and personal, but no more so than with the M1 Carbine or the M1A Carbine. Both of which do come with bayonet lugs. Bayonets are nice because the tendency to run out of ammo in an intense firefight or having to deal with a malfunction is high. Sometimes field stripping a jammed weapon is not the recommended thing to do. Bayonets give you that extra "edge" when it's needed the most. Also they make it easy to open up a can of c-rations when you lose you P-38.

Edited by grymsfing

• 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts?

To me, the only drawback to both the Tommygun and the grease gun was that there were no bayonet lugs. Other than that I would be happy to be issued either. Shanking someone with the bayonet would be awfully up close and personal, but no more so than with the M1 Carbine or the M1A Carbine. Both of which do come with bayonet lugs. Bayonets are nice because the tendency to run out of ammo in an intense firefight or having to deal with a malfunction is high. Sometimes field stripping a jammed weapon is not the recommended thing to do. Bayonets give you that extra "edge" when it's needed the most. Also they make it easy to open up a can of c-rations when you lose you P-38

Edited by grymsfing