Benelli M3 options

Shawn188

I’m new here, I have one prior post.

I currently have a Benelli M3 (11606) inbound and I was looking at options, so I have a few questions….

1. Does the M3/Supenova Collapable (cstock) have the pull pin remove the tube option like the one on Benelli.it site shows?
2. Where is the best place to find an M3 barrel that is either 12.5-14 inches or one that can be cut without spending the price of a complete new gun?

3. Who will actually cut, crown and port such a barrel?

4. Lastly, why is the price of a barrel 2/3 the cost of a new Benelli Shotgun?

Thanks!

• Like 1

-You'll find out whenever you get your M3. We have no idea what tubes would come on it since Benelli makes changes constantly.

-There's no off the shelf M3 barrels shorter than the 19~something inch. You'll hafta buy it after you get a tax stamp.

-Any gunsmith can cut a barrel.

-The barrel is roughly $400, that's like 1/4 the price of the a brand new M3. Not that bad considering it is for a uncommon gun and imported from Italy. There's no aftermarket options so it is what it is.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 12:12 PM, Doge said:

-You'll find out whenever you get your M3. We have no idea what tubes would come on it since Benelli makes changes constantly.

-There's no off the shelf M3 barrels shorter than the 19~something inch. You'll hafta buy it after you get a tax stamp.

-Any gunsmith can cut a barrel. mapquest directions

-The barrel is roughly $400, that's like 1/4 the price of the a brand new M3. Not that bad considering it is for a uncommon gun and imported from Italy. There's no aftermarket options so it is what it is.

Thanks man. I’ll check it out.

The M3 is an inertial semi-auto action gun. I'm not sure what putting a shortened barrel on it would do to the cycling action. Sure, you can use the pump feature if it fails to cycle but personally I would not spend money buying and cutting down a barrel just to ruin the semi-auto action. If you do let us know how well it works.

8 hours ago, StreetSweeper56 said:

The M3 is an inertial semi-auto action gun. I'm not sure what putting a shortened barrel on it would do to the cycling action. Sure, you can use the pump feature if it fails to cycle but personally I would not spend money buying and cutting down a barrel just to ruin the semi-auto action. If you do let us know how well it works.

Benelli  does make a 14.5 M3

http://www.benellidefense.it/products/m3-145-telescopic-stock

But I have no clue if there are any additional considerations, like you mentioned, for the semi-auto cycling when the barrel is shortened. I wouldn't go past the 14.5 at least for a SBS

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Scout_21 said:

Benelli  does make a 14.5 M3

http://www.benellidefense.it/products/m3-145-telescopic-stock

But I have no clue if there are any additional considerations, like you mentioned, for the semi-auto cycling when the barrel is shortened. I wouldn't go past the 14.5 at least for a SBS

Maybe I'm just, "once bitten, twice shy" but I'd hate to spend money on something only to find out I ruined a key feature. The M3 is one gun I personally would not SBS.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all. I have no doubt that cutting the barrel will not reduce reliability on an M3. I’m not worried about that.

I was looking for recommendations on the barrel work. Some say you can have the cut and threaded for choke some say you can’t. I do know that my googlefu is pretty decent, and I can not find a single shop that advertises barrelwork that will work on an M3, let alone cut and thread for chokes on an M3Combat barrel.

Is there no way to order a factory short barrel that is threaded for chokes, like the M3 in the photo on Benelli.It ?

Also where do I find the parts or kit for this? (It is called the BMS, Benelli Modular Stock)

E6863EFF-F35F-42FD-8602-A3266A0C49FA.png

Edited by Shawn188
  • Like 1

Benelli factory barrels as I'm sure you know have "flared" muzzles, they get bigger for the Mobil or Crio chokes. If you cut one and re-choke, you'll be stuck with thin walled Tru-chokes or something similar. (only had it done with SBE, end result isn't awful, but certainly not as good as the factory chokes.)

• Upvote 1

On 9/13/2022 at 8:33 AM, cas said:

Benelli factory barrels as I'm sure you know have "flared" muzzles, they get bigger for the Mobil or Crio chokes. If you cut one and re-choke, you'll be stuck with thin walled Tru-chokes or something similar. (only had it done with SBE, end result isn't awful, but certainly not as good as the factory chokes.)

My M3 Tactical has no chokes.

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2022 at 3:52 PM, Shawn188 said:

I’m new here, I have one prior post.

I currently have a Benelli M3 (11606) inbound and I was looking at options, so I have a few questions….

1. Does the M3/Supenova Collapable (cstock) have the pull pin remove the tube option like the one on Benelli.it site shows?
2. Where is the best place to find an M3 barrel that is either 12.5-14 inches or one that can be cut without spending the price of a complete new gun?

3. Who will actually cut, crown and port such a barrel?

4. Lastly, why is the price of a barrel 2/3 the cost of a new Benelli Shotgun?

Thanks!

Where did you end up on this endeavor? I think someone like Steve Rose is your only option on trimming the barrel. Unfortunately Benelli only offers a entry option in European venues for the M3.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/60045

this company Offers M3 barrels in both rifled and ghost ring configurations. The trick is going to be finding an applicable front sight in a proper height for the configuration.

I was pretty hot to trot on a sbs’d M3 after seeing the factory configuration, with collapsing stock. Very adaptable considering you can pull the pin and have a pistol grip only configuration for breaching or a pack.

curious if anyone knows what parts are needed on the newer style receiver to install the collapsing stock, that converts to pistol grip, if I were to buy one with a fixed stock. 

if I were to purchase the firearm with the applicable collapsing stock, I would have to source the shorter, standard magazine cap, with 5 shot extension. These seem difficult to source. 

• Upvote 1

So the short answer is kind of long…..

Apparently the are not a lot of folks willing or able to answer questions about the Benelli M3. I have asked the same questions on FB, and several other forums with few or no answers. So here we go.

Do you have contact info for Steve Rose?

I sourced a used M3 barrel (19 3/4 inch) cylinder, ghost ring front sight, for $250.00. It has a different barrel extension than the newer gun, but it seats in the receiver and the bolt operates by hand. I’m not sure yet if I need to change it for the newer extension  or not yet, and I’m not going to try shooting it until I hear from a Benelli armorer or a trusted smith.

I’ve gotten no joy in finding information on the BMS so far, and Benelli has not answered any of the contact requests I’ve sent so far.

In addition, no one seems to be willing to say how or what parts are needed to instal an M4 c-stock (M1014) on an M3 receiver. Though I’ve seen several legitimate photos of M3s with them.

There are several companies that have stopped working on customizing Benellis and so far several of them refuse to work on an M3. I also have several others that I am going to attempt contact with next week. TBH though I knew this wasn’t going to happen real quick, so I expected it. I am expecting several other upgrade parts in the next few weeks. It’s a project…

I’ll probably wind up SBSing my VangComp870 first at this point. All I really need for it is a tax stamp, barrel, engraving and cerakote, and I have several spare 870 barrels to trade in as well.

Yeah, it sucks as I have been on this path briefly and the almost is a dull contempt it seems. To the point of I think I may attempt to import a NFA factory barrel on letterhead.

Steve Rose is mentioned here in this thread:

Here is my attempt at gaining info on the M3

I believe you mean the Super Nova Stock assembly and not the M4 Stock assembly.

It would seem that individuals are hesitant to do work on Bonelli barrels because they are thin walled. After further research I think that they will chop them but they will not thread them for chokes. The other source of contention is to attach a front sight that is applicable.

cotton branch customs, on Instagram, said they WILL, do the work.

Keep me posted. Expensive project, but a badass gun in a 14.5 configuration….19.5, meh, not so much 

Nope, I really do mean the M1014 c-stock….

there are several others that I have seen as well, just didn’t screen shot them … 

if you do decide to import on letterhead, let me know, I would like to know the process and contact info. I wouldn’t have the first idea on how to do that…

BE5836F2-6220-42EB-A1ED-1E747A7ED3F2.png

Copy. Yeah I’ve seen that one once before. I’ve no issues with my M4 collapsible, but for this build I really do prefer the option pulling the detent and adding another abbreviated configuration that the supernova stock provides. 

Hopefully we each gain headway on this. I haven’t obtained a platform yet, as I am unsure of which model I should begin with. In my case, probably the c-stock already on board, the obtain a 5 shot nut, chop n LPA sight. Unless I can source the European barrel… doubtful though 

I agree with the BMS being the best option for modularity. Fyi, the Supernova stock and the BMS appear to be two different stocks, though they look the same, as near as I can tell (another one of those questions that no one wants to answer.) I’d like to mash the 1014 stock and the BMS together, cause it would look sick and be modular. I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks that…

I had to strike while the iron was hot to get the gun in the first place. I would have liked to have gotten the c-stock out of the gate but none were available when the money was and at a reasonable cost. The only 11608’s in stock were $1800+ @ agency/le price and that was is absurd.
The 11608 generally has the 2 shot mag extension, the 11606 generally has the 1 shot mag extension, though that apparently changes on a whim in Italy…

I’m looking at getting the Toni System 3 shot extension for the 19.5 barrel and would run the stock extension with the shorter barrel.

I wouldn’t mind getting a field barrel if I could source one at a decent price, but I’m not gonna pay $500+ for that either.

• Like 1

If you have a M3 that was made within the last 6 years then you will need to put on a supernova stock. plain n simple.

Barrels are highly regulated in Europe. You will not be able to get one, especially a short 14" with external chokes. It is the reason why the M4 Entry is cut down and crowned domestically.  Exhibit A:

Benelli m2 long.png

That ghost ring sight isn't placed there for ANY other reason aside for cutting the barrel down so you can turn it into a SBS below. There's no debate or argument on this.

6075.jpg

You don't want to thread the inside for choke tubes. You will lose all the chrome plating where the choke tube is and risk flaking. The barrel taper is especially thin on the Benelli shotguns, so basically don't even try.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I saw a photo of a dude changing his stock and go curious…

Took of my factory tactical stock and low and behold… a 5 position collapsible stock tube… wish I would have know that two months ago.

Anyone have any luck on getting information about the Benelli Modular Stock? As pictured above…

161CD17B-F5FD-4B6B-A3F7-158909D8D258.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Shawn188 said:

So, I saw a photo of a dude changing his stock and go curious…

Took of my factory tactical stock and low and behold… a 5 position collapsible stock tube… wish I would have know that two months ago.

Anyone have any luck on getting information about the Benelli Modular Stock? As pictured above…

161CD17B-F5FD-4B6B-A3F7-158909D8D258.jpeg

Look for a Supernova / M3 Collapsible Stock .

1F9532FC-0296-4A4C-AD9A-080A1EC004F2.thumb.jpeg.847a8033f44ec2d0f8a9104c0099a7ae.jpegF2EB23C3-CE1D-4E40-8478-A7D0508307DD.thumb.jpeg.db100532d3d6bb9ac41b7237a210cdef.jpeg

1 hour ago, Shawn188 said:

So, yes your correct but not really..

1. that would get me a collapsible 

2. would not give me Modular.

They are a different stocktubes and grips.

Shawn, though I am fairly well versed on normal firearms laws, I am not 100% up on NFA stuff. That said, I don't think you can legally make what you are after in the US anymore. A pump can still be sold new and can use a pistol grip stock. Grandfathered semi-auto's can use folding stock (of which the original HK Benelli M3 folder's could probably be removed) which when folded give a pistol grip. However, if I am not mistaken, since 922r and probably before, semi-auto's can't be sold in that configuration to us mere mortals (civilians). It seems like it might have came about it the 90's when importation of certain types were ceased. There are designs that kind of skirt that like they did with AR's by using braces. One I can think of is the Rock Island VRF-14, but even it is really more of a bullpup and not a pistol grip. I may be wrong however. Just spend as much time checking the legalities as you are for looking to see IF it can be done.

If a shotgun barrel is shorter than 18" or OAL is shorter than 26", then it is NFA. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/which-firearms-are-regulated-under-nfa

Below is my pair of HK import Benelli M3T's. They are on the rare side, but do pop up periodically on sites like Gunbroker. Just to answer your next question that will probably come up, these folding stocks are not the same on these as they are on the new model. Also, for the folding stock to lock in, it requires the correct barrel as these lock into the rear sight which is slightly different position than regular barrels.

20200423_120040 - Small.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bambihunter said:

Shawn, though I am fairly well versed on normal firearms laws, I am not 100% up on NFA stuff. That said, I don't think you can legally make what you are after in the US anymore. A pump can still be sold new and can use a pistol grip stock. Grandfathered semi-auto's can use folding stock (of which the original HK Benelli M3 folder's could probably be removed) which when folded give a pistol grip. However, if I am not mistaken, since 922r and probably before, semi-auto's can't be sold in that configuration to us mere mortals (civilians). It seems like it might have came about it the 90's when importation of certain types were ceased. There are designs that kind of skirt that like they did with AR's by using braces. One I can think of is the Rock Island VRF-14, but even it is really more of a bullpup and not a pistol grip. I may be wrong however. Just spend as much time checking the legalities as you are for looking to see IF it can be done.

If a shotgun barrel is shorter than 18" or OAL is shorter than 26", then it is NFA. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/which-firearms-are-regulated-under-nfa

Below is my pair of HK import Benelli M3T's. They are on the rare side, but do pop up periodically on sites like Gunbroker. Just to answer your next question that will probably come up, these folding stocks are not the same on these as they are on the new model. Also, for the folding stock to lock in, it requires the correct barrel as these lock into the rear sight which is slightly different position than regular barrels.

You can chop the barrel on a shotgun to less than 18" on a Form 5320.1 and associated hoops to jump through.

And you can make a shotgun compliant with 922r with a certain number of domestic parts.

• Upvote 1