M4 SBS Questions

XJJEEPER223

I was in same boat as you. Couldn't find the barrel. I read a lot of recommendation to just purchase the gun instead, as the price of someone doing the work is a good amount. So I returned the M4 and just purchased M4 Entry off GunBroker. Waiting on Form 4. But seems like 18" Barrel will be easier to obtain than the 14" Entry Barrel, so I went this route. Good luck.

Moving the M4 front sight and magazine tube ring back for the shorter barrel configuration presents challenges, not only in the remove/reattach processes, but also due to the smaller barrel OD in the mid section of the 18” barrel which affects sight regulation and mag tube alignment if not properly compensated for before reattachment, not too mention keeping everything properly aligned via a fixture while reattaching the parts. That smaller barrel OD at the new muzzle may also limit choke tube threading possibilities.

They may be a shop out there doing the conversion and the folks here on the forum would like to know if there is. We get asked about converting the M4 barrel to Entry length and always decline based on the above reasons. The factory Entry barrel is relatively expensive and often hard to source but in the case of the M4 it is the better route.

• 3 months later...

I've been eyeballing some of the regular and entry models on GunBroker for a while now and starting to lean toward the entry model.  My question is, how hard would it be to take an entry model and convert it to full size?  Is it as simple as buying the 18" barrel and magazine extension?  I thought of buying the regular model and doing a Form 1 to convert it but the 14" barrels are unobtanium unless it comes with the gun.

4 hours ago, Randy Lahey said:

I've been eyeballing some of the regular and entry models on GunBroker for a while now and starting to lean toward the entry model.  My question is, how hard would it be to take an entry model and convert it to full size?  Is it as simple as buying the 18" barrel and magazine extension?  I thought of buying the regular model and doing a Form 1 to convert it but the 14" barrels are unobtanium unless it comes with the gun.

Just slip a 18 barrel on your entry.It’s that simple 

3 hours ago, rubicon20032003 said:

Just slip a 18 barrel on your entry.It’s that simple 

Gotcha, thanks for the info.  Followup question though: I eventually want to mount a Salvo 12 on it but the only entry model I can find that accepts chokes is the 11726 with the breaching standoff.  Needless to say these are also very hard to find so is there anyone who can thread the entry barrel to accept a choke/adapter?

On 11/7/2022 at 6:22 PM, XJJEEPER223 said:

I’m in the process of SBSing my M4. I’ve been searching for a factory Entry Barrel but have not had any success in locating one. Does anyone know of a smith that offers a service to convert a stand barrel into an entry one? 

Thanks 

The only Benelli M4 I have is the factory SBS. I'm not a shotgun guy per se but it called to me from my NFA shop's wall.

On 3/4/2023 at 3:31 PM, Randy Lahey said:

Gotcha, thanks for the info.  Followup question though: I eventually want to mount a Salvo 12 on it but the only entry model I can find that accepts chokes is the 11726 with the breaching standoff.  Needless to say these are also very hard to find so is there anyone who can thread the entry barrel to accept a choke/adapter?

Rose Action Sports can thread the factory length (long or short) M4 barrels for either Rem-Choke or Mossberg 500 / Invector choke tube threads.

11796458_10152887970957447_7571234171509242989_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2023 at 2:49 AM, Randy Lahey said:

That's great to hear.  I'm looking to eventually attach a Salvo 12...probably with the help of some sort of choke adapter.

I also have a Rem 870 SBS that i have to send out to be threaded for chokes before i can use it, but what hosts do you guys use your salvo 12 on and how has it affected reliability?

• 5 months later...

Update:  So I was able to find the short barreled breaching model (SKU 11734).  It's currently in NFA jail but when I went to see it and try to remove the factory breaching standoff but it wouldn't budge.  It's definitely a separate piece from the barrel.  Do any of you know if Benelli uses any sort of thread locker on the standoff to keep it in place or is it just torqued on there?  Pic is not my gun but same model from a Gunbroker listing.

pix498793353.jpg

Edited by Randy Lahey

• 5 months later...

I have been working on this very project. I worked with an LE Gunsmith in my area and found that the barrel is actually threaded externally and they use a ton of Loctite.  I spoke with our Benelli support and he advised that the barrel is factory fixed Modified. They are not threaded for chokes at all.  The only way to attach a suppressor is to get the Benelli 11724 model and take to a certified Benelli gunsmith and have them thread for chokes..  

• 2 weeks later...

So I ended up sending the barrel to JK Armament's custom shop and they're currently making a custom thread protector and mount for their suppressor.  It's pricy, but they've been pretty helpful in making it happen.  I'll post pictures whenever it comes back.

1 hour ago, Randy Lahey said:

So I ended up sending the barrel to JK Armament's custom shop and they're currently making a custom thread protector and mount for their suppressor.  It's pricy, but they've been pretty helpful in making it happen.  I'll post pictures whenever it comes back.

Why would they have to make a thread protector if it’s internal choke for adapter

On 2/27/2024 at 8:59 PM, constablebo said:

I have been working on this very project. I worked with an LE Gunsmith in my area and found that the barrel is actually threaded externally and they use a ton of Loctite.  I spoke with our Benelli support and he advised that the barrel is factory fixed Modified. They are not threaded for chokes at all.  The only way to attach a suppressor is to get the Benelli 11724 model and take to a certified Benelli gunsmith and have them thread for chokes..  

I was worried about the loctite as well, and the folks at Benelli said I was "In for it now".  Surprisingly it wasn't that bad.  I put it in a padded vice, fixed a heat gun on it for 10 min and it was able to break without too much of a fight.  It surprised me for sure.

Edited by Randy Lahey