how is the benelli nova???

josh

I like the nova I use mine for everything upland, ducks, turkey, skeet, and sporting clays. I especially like the shell stop button this allows me to remove the shell in the chamber without having to worry about the next shell cycling. This makes it quick and easy to switch from 3 to 3.5 inches

The nova is in a way an elegant tank. It shoots like a semi-auto (not taking into account the recoil). You really don’t need a 3 1/2 gun because if you look at the load data for 3 inch shells they are the same or better then the 3 1/2s because of the tendency of shell manufactures to up play the big payloads which hamper the crucial killing element, velocity. The 3 1/2 is just a feature of this gun along with the shell stop, both of which are nice but don’t really make this gun any better then a Winchester or Remington. What makes this gun so good is it’s extreme durability. I always hear about people who have taken spills in to muddy water and taken shots seconds after. After this they took it home and hosed it of then sprayed wd-40 on it. This gives you an idea about just how strong it really is. Of course you would not want to treat any gun this way if you want it to last or spray wd-40 on it because it kills primers. The other factor that brought so much attention to this gun and is the key to its reliability, its simplicity. You could count the parts that make up the stock fore-arm and receiver on both hands if you don’t count the trigger group. The only downfalls are that the trigger is in no way comparable to an expensive semi-auto and it is a polymer based gun that require much working in. During the break in period you could see potentially a jam as well as a choppy action. After a year I have never had a jam out of either of mine and they just keep getting smoother and smoother. If you treat it good it will return the favor and hold up for unknown generations. It could be thought of as the new 870 in a way, although they are completely different both are willing to stand the test of time.

Side Note-One of the joys of Nova ownership is using it against the club hot shots with their Citoris and Perazzis. If you get just one extra target over their score they look so pistoff! And never seem to look you in the eye. First day I got my 20 GA. Nova my mom was using it for the first time and it jammed on the line. After words some smart guy came over and said something how they just aren't very good guns. I went out next line to see that it was working and the same guy was shooting. I got a 24/25 . After getting back in to the club house I saw him again and walked up to him and said I guess it works now, in a sarcastically unsure voice trying to hold back a grin. But after all it’s not competition just fun and games!

• 3 weeks later...

I've had two novas. One black (stolen) and a new one in camo. The camo one took a little more breaking in. I works great. I've shot deer, duck, geese, swan and quail with it. It's fast and tough. Better warranty than the 870 and easier to clean than a Mossberg.

You don't always need the 3 1/2, but shots on big stuff like deer, geese and tundra swan, its nice to have that as the first shot coming out.

Originally posted by josh:

me and my dad are debating on several guns to get for waterfowling. I like to hunt geese and ducks ....so I like the 3 1/2 capabilities of the nova.........is the benelli good???How does is hold up???/ Does it shoot nice???/

Thanks

I acutally just bought a Nova and i went out duck and goose hunting and it is the best gun i have had yet!! i recently had a Remington 870 and that was a good gun but really the Benelli is the way to go. The shell stop is a great feature as is the recoil reducer for the bit of those 3 1/2's. The Nova is the very best pump action shotgun i have had a chance to shoot and this is the best gun i would recomend!!

• 4 years later...

No one can tell what shells are going to pattern best with your shotgun. YOU have to go out with various shells and choke tubes and see what patterns best in your gun. That is just the way it is.

The only thing I can suggest its getting an aftermarket choke IF the chokes you have don't pattern well. Everyone has their pet choke they will suggest. There are a bunch on the market. I have my favorites. Go shoot and pattern it with the shells you intend to hunt with, then come back and ask.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

good luck.

• Like 1

I have 3 Nova's, a 28 inch black 12 gauge, 24 inch camo 12 gauge and a 26 inch black 20 gauge. Love em all! No problems at all. Easy to clean. Easy to shoot. Love the shell stop, and love the fact you can unload the gun without chambering a round. My 28 inch has the recoil reducer and a limsaver pad which makes it a dream to shoot with mag. loads.

buy the gun and don't look back. have fun.

novaking

• 1 month later...

Good gun, if you get it spend the extra $$ on the recoil reducer if you're shooting the 3 1/2" shells. It's a light gun and carries a pretty good punch. The reducer adds some weight but is easily removed for lighter loads. Looks like a better duck season in N.C. this year.

Good gun, if you get it spend the extra $$ on the recoil reducer if you're shooting the 3 1/2" shells. It's a light gun and carries a pretty good punch. The reducer adds some weight but is easily removed for lighter loads. Looks like a better duck season in N.C. this year.

I don't think 8 pounds is a light gun but your right with the recoil reducer. It does help with 3 1/2's. I have a limsavers pad my mine to.

Novaking

I love my super nova pump. I did a ton of research prior to my purchase. I had freind with Remington 870's, Stogers and Mossbergs. But my research led me to the Super nova with comfort tech. When me and my buds with other shotguns go to the range or skeet/trap shoothing they want to trade with me so they can shoot my super nova. Not only is it more gentle to the shooter but it is lighter and better balanced. Only shot gun in my opinion better than my super nova is the Super black eagle II because of the semi auto feature. If I could figure out a way for my wife not to find out about the SBE II it would mine. But that is a battle I am not ready for.

My motto in general is, "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission".

Any of you guys have experience with the Nova 20g short stock youth gun?

My stepson is about to partake in his very first duck season and I've been looking at the Nova for his first shotgun. Right now he's been shooting my old 870 express 20 and it's just a little long for him...not to mention it's not a Benelli!:D

Let's just hope he likes the Nova enough to not ask me to get him a SBE II like mine.....at least for a few years. That could get a little rough on the ol wallet!

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a Whitetails Unlimited Nova 26" barrel last month shot some slugs and boy what a kick. I added the recoil mercury device and the custom limbsaver. Shot it again today I had 2 shots through the same spot and third less than an 1/2in away at 50yards. It shoots more like a 410 today nailed everything and tryed Brennke, Federal, and Remington sluggers. All were consistent with groups differing by about an inch between ammo. I shot 20 rounds and no sore shoulder. WHooo-Hooo!!!!!!!!!!

The Recoil adapter with the Limbsaver Pad will make it shoot great even with 3 1/2 Magnums. I'm a believer.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/19/2003 at 1:52 AM, chomponthis said:

The nova is in a way an elegant tank. It shoots like a semi-auto (not taking into account the recoil). You really don’t need a 3 1/2 gun because if you look at the load data for 3 inch shells they are the same or better then the 3 1/2s because of the tendency of shell manufactures to up play the big payloads which hamper the crucial killing element, velocity. The 3 1/2 is just a feature of this gun along with the shell stop, both of which are nice but don’t really make this gun any better then a Winchester or Remington. What makes this gun so good is it’s extreme durability. I always hear about people who have taken spills in to muddy water and taken shots seconds after. After this they took it home and hosed it of then sprayed wd-40 on it. This gives you an idea about just how strong it really is. Of course you would not want to treat any gun this way if you want it to last or spray wd-40 on it because it kills primers. The other factor that brought so much attention to this gun and is the key to its reliability, its simplicity. You could count the parts that make up the stock fore-arm and receiver on both hands if you don’t count the trigger group. The only downfalls are that the trigger is in no way comparable to an expensive semi-auto and it is a polymer based gun that require much working in. During the break in period you could see potentially a jam as well as a choppy action. After a year I have never had a jam out of either of mine and they just keep getting smoother and smoother. If you treat it good it will return the favor and hold up for unknown generations. It could be thought of as the new 870 in a way, although they are completely different both are willing to stand the test of time.

Side Note-One of the joys of Nova ownership is using it against the club hot shots with their Citoris and Perazzis. If you get just one extra target over their score they look so pistoff! And never seem to look you in the eye. First day I got my 20 GA. Nova my mom was using it for the first time and it jammed on the line. After words some smart guy came over and said something how they just aren't very good guns. I went out next line to see that it was working and the same guy was shooting. I got a 24/25 . After getting back in to the club house I saw him again and walked up to him and said I guess it works now, in a sarcastically unsure voice trying to hold back a grin. But after all it’s not competition just fun and games!

Nice write up and I feel the same about the Nova. I used one in the salt marsh for a long time and I would put it up there with The 870 and BPS any day.