Turkey calls

chip

Going out for my frist year of turkey hunting and i am going to go buy a call....what does everyone recomend and how do you recomend sitting when calling so i can still move up to my gun with out spooking to turkeys...Are they a easyly spooked bird and do they have good hearing?

First year of hunting and you haven't started practicing yet?? Anyway, the easiest calls to use for a beginner are friction calls in my opinion. I would recommend a push button yelper or an inexpensive slate call. The pushbutton yelper can sometimes be mounted onto the forearm of your shotgun so that you can minimize movement when a turkey is out in front of you. If you should decide to go with a slate call, make sure to get SLATE. The glass calls and titanium calls can be difficult to use for a first timer because they can be finicky to striker angle and pressure.

You should sit against the base of a tree that is preferably wider than you to break up your outline. Hike at least one of your knees up to use as your gun rest. Keep movement to a minimum.

Turkeys are very easily spooked so when they're in front of you, keep your hat brim low to keep any sun from reflecting off of your face. They have excellent eyesight and hearing, but their sense of smell is poor if compared to a deer. Maybe after this season is over you can start practicing with a mouth call. They require the least amount of movement and you can even call while pointing the shotgun at the turkey. Best of luck on the upcoming season.

Originally posted by chip:

Going out for my frist year of turkey hunting and i am going to go buy a call....what does everyone recomend and how do you recomend sitting when calling so i can still move up to my gun with out spooking to turkeys...Are they a easyly spooked bird and do they have good hearing? [/QUO

Best call for a beginner. Lil Deuce by HS strut. Nice soft sound and very forgiving if you make a wrong move. It comes with directions on how to make the different types of calls. Turkeys have excellent hearing and eyesight. I have had a friend have a bird walking away from him at 50 yards and then try and call to him and it turned right around new right where he was and began an alarm putt. Movement should be little at most.

• 2 weeks later...

Congadulations. You're about to indulge in what will become a sickness. haha.. nothing like being out in the spring woods and enjoying all things outside. I agree with everyone. A friction call is by far the easiess to master and the push-pull calls will afford you the least movement if attached to your turkey taker. A turkey's eyesight and hearing are far and away much keaner then humans. Thank heaven they can't smell worth a hoot.. If so we'd hunt long hours before tagging one, if ever.. I noticed you said: "so I can still move up to my gun." Plz don't!!

While working the bird you should be backed up to a tree (at least as wide as you) with the gun up and mounted with the safefy on and pointed in the direction you last heard the bird or where you expect it to show itself.. from there on it's all up to you and how cooperative the turkey is.. haha. when in range make sure you'll take him with a clean shot and theres nothing between you and him and nothing beyond the bird as well. Good luck and hunt safe...

• 2 weeks later...