Buckshot and SBE

sprigsss

I don't want to purchase another barrel for my shotgun to shoot slugs through once or twice a year. I've always hunted with buckshot in the past and have had great success.

I bought a SBE two years ago and have yet to find a good choke/load combination with buckshot. I even purchased the pattern master and bought every box of buckshot I could find in 2 3/4", 3", and 3 1/2" and shot almost every possible choke/load combination. I notice that when I shoot at a paper plate, my pellets will scatter and form a circle completely around the paper plate, but none will actually hit the paper plate.

Has anyone else ever had these problems with their SBE and buckshot. So far the 3" #1's pattern the best with the pattern master, but the pattern is high and to the left and is only tight enough to aim at a deer's head if he's within 20 yards. I've shot deer up to 40 yards with 2 3/4" buckshot in my Remington because in almost every load I have 3 pellets that always hit where I'm aiming and the rest spread out around the central 3 pellets. With my benelli I don't have any pellets that fly straight, they all scatter.

Anyone have any good or bad results with SBE and buckshot? I would love to get some feedback so I can find the appropriate choke/load combo. I shot a bobcat two weekends ago that was only 15 yards away. I shot the first time and it ran a little ways, turned around and stared at me and I shot again. This cat was only 15 yards away, and I hit it with only 2 or 3 pellets (which is good since I want to get it mounted).

[ 11-04-2004, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: sprigsss ]

Originally posted by sprigsss:

I don't want to purchase another barrel for my shotgun to shoot slugs through once or twice a year. I've always hunted with buckshot in the past and have had great success.

I bought a SBE two years ago and have yet to find a good choke/load combination with buckshot. I even purchased the pattern master and bought every box of buckshot I could find in 2 3/4", 3", and 3 1/2" and shot almost every possible choke/load combination. I notice that when I shoot at a paper plate, my pellets will scatter and form a circle completely around the paper plate, but none will actually hit the paper plate.

Has anyone else ever had these problems with their SBE and buckshot. So far the 3" #1's pattern the best with the pattern master, but the pattern is high and to the left and is only tight enough to aim at a deer's head if he's within 20 yards. I've shot deer up to 40 yards with 2 3/4" buckshot in my Remington because in almost every load I have 3 pellets that always hit where I'm aiming and the rest spread out around the central 3 pellets. With my benelli I don't have any pellets that fly straight, they all scatter.

Anyone have any good or bad results with SBE and buckshot? I would love to get some feedback so I can find the appropriate choke/load combo. I shot a bobcat two weekends ago that was only 15 yards away. I shot the first time and it ran a little ways, turned around and stared at me and I shot again. This cat was only 15 yards away, and I hit it with only 2 or 3 pellets (which is good since I want to get it mounted).

I also purchased a SBE a couple of years ago. I have every choke tube combo even a Pure Gold .

These choke tubes were used with every single buckshot load Winnchester makes, copperplated and non-copperplated . You might need to do what I did , buy a Browning Gold ! I still have my SBE,

but only use it for slugs . $1200.00 slug gun Ouch!

I know of no other gun that patterns buckshot so horribly. The steel shot patterns fine for duck hunting, but the buckshot is awful. I wonder why Benelli guns have this problem. Every other Winchester, Remington, Mossberg, and browning I've ever seen always through a decent pattern with several different buckshot loads. I can't find 1 buckshot load that will pattern decently with my Benelli.

I guess I'll have to keep using my Remington for deer hunting.

• 4 weeks later...

I shoot an M1, and have a Kicks Buckshot choke. I have used this choke for going on three years now, and have NO problems between 15 to 60 yards. Anything less than 15 though, the load is probably either going to hit a tree or miss. I have taken numerous deer with it dog driving, and recently took one at about 50 yards running through a cotton field and practicly dropped her in her tracks. I have found that Winchester copper 00 3" patterns the best for this gun. Thought I'd try to elp. G