SBE2 Quality?

GDanner

I continue to be amazed at the large number of problems experienced by Benelli SBE2 owners. For an expensive shotgun, that is intolerable. My son got a SBE2 about a year ago and he has experienced loading and misfiring problems too. Customer remarks in the forums indicate that the Benelli repair shop competency is marginal at best. Although some owners have had no problems, quality control seems poor.

I have owned and used and continue to use a Remington Model 1100 12 gauge that I bought about 1958. I don't know how many shells I've fired in it, but it's a lot. And it has NEVER failed to load and fire.

Many of the problems seem to be shooter error. Like not shouldering the gun right, bumping the butt of the gun before you fire. Some guns just need a little tweaking. There are lots of people on here that have never ever once had a problem. The inertia system is a little touchy, but it takes a half of the time to clean then any other auto loader. I'm not saying the gun is fool proof, but it is a great gun. There are many people who complain about the 1100 too, just go find a forum. I know I will never get a remington shotgun, they used to make a good gun, but my brother has two remington 870s, his 20 gauge doesn't fire in marginally cold weather, and his 12 jams all the time. I have yet to hear anything good on the newer remington 1100s.

I own a SBE II and its a great weapon once you understand the inertia system and if the shooter is not properly mounting or is shooting light loads that is not recommended. I did shoot quality ammo at the trap range to break in my shotgun and since then have had no problems.

In the field during a dove shoot I had pulled back the charging handle to confirm there was a round in the chamber. I went to shoot and the weapon went click. I realized that it was operator error because I thought after checking the chamber the bolt went completely in but it did not. At a later duck hunt I was using 3" Kent Impact and the first shot was no problem but the next round would not feed and this happened more then once.

This year at a duck hunt with the same ammo the weapon fed with no problems. I determined from the last hunt with bad feeds was a mounting issue. I was bundled up pretty good with clothing and this made my LOP a problem. So when I tried to shoot the second round I compromised the inertia system due too a bad mount.

I continue to be amazed at the large number of problems experienced by Benelli SBE2 owners. For an expensive shotgun, that is intolerable. My son got a SBE2 about a year ago and he has experienced loading and misfiring problems too. Customer remarks in the forums indicate that the Benelli repair shop competency is marginal at best. Although some owners have had no problems, quality control seems poor.

I have owned and used and continue to use a Remington Model 1100 12 gauge that I bought about 1958. I don't know how many shells I've fired in it, but it's a lot. And it has NEVER failed to load and fire.

Have your son contact me.

I'll find an old 1100 and trade him even for his one year old SBE2.

Problem solved.

Unfortunate that ya get a bad apple every once in a while! Hope he got these issues resolved or did benelli blow him off on fixing the issues and what were the fixes to his issues? Most of the negative remarks on the SBEII have been resolved by reading owners manual and learning to drive a foreign made shotgun, this shotgun has its own little way of letting you know i am foreign made and i have been shooting the SBEII for 3 years with NO problems! Did take me a few months to get used to it but it does not drive like an old FORD!! Some people have issue with being told they did something wrong but thankfully i am not one of them!! LOL well OK i may have issues some of the time but if "I" can figure the SBEII out maybe we all need to read owners manual or even call C/S instead of telling everyone here that we are CLUELESS by posting a bunch of operator error issues before even consulting Benelli! Just an OPINION!

Remington Model 1100 12 gauge that I bought about 1958. I don't know how many shells I've fired in it, but it's a lot. And it has NEVER failed to load and fire.

Remington made better guns back then. They make crap now. I just returned a Model 700 rifle with more defects that the Iraqi army.

Just saw photos of a guy that blew part of this thumb off when his Remington 11-87 malfunctioned. The gun went off with the bolt partially open. This cannot happen unless the gun is defective. Maybe I'll tell him that your 50 y.o. Remington works well for you. Maybe that will make his blown up thumb feel better :)

I've gone 17 seasons without any issues that were not quickly resolved by Benelli CS.

btw - Every brand of gun I have ever owned has broken at least once:

Glock

Beretta

Benelli

Remingtons - too many to list

Browning - all have failed in some way

Smith & Wesson

etc, etc, etc........

So i guess the missfiring and cycling problems vanished without Benelli C/S being involved, that would be a good thing but funny how things fix themselves! read about a SBEII today that fired a Hornaday SST slug but, slug did not exit the gun and fellar fired another slug and gun blew up, almost blowing his head off. If i have the first issue Benelli C/S will be getting a call ASAP, missfires and cycling issues could be big problems if not attended to unless it's the old Italian Operator error syndrome! God forbid!

read about a SBEII today that fired a Hornaday SST slug but, slug did not exit the gun and fellar fired another slug and gun blew up, almost blowing his head off

I know many folks that shoot SST's from SBE's. Might I ask where you read this info? I think my guys will want to know.

What is the causal connection between a bad shell and Benelli CS?

Thats exactly what he claimed it was a bad shell? Seems if he manually cycled bolt ya would think he would take a look at what ejected and figure out what casued problem? After reading post again he said it snapped on him but no round fired so he cycled round and i guess he did not check ejected shell to see if the little red pointy thing was gone or still in old shell? Obviously it was lodged in barrell!! Go figure!! No casual C/S issue intended, just wondering if anyone else had problems with Hornaday SST's in their SBEII's guy seemed shook up pretty bad!! Was on Cabelas Talk Form under "SHOOTING" bottom of first page Thread named for Hornaday SST's Go Boom? Heneeds to brush up on gun safety /troubleshooting procedures from what i understand!

I hate to hear that people are having problems with Benellis. I just got a SBE II for Christmas, but haven't gotten to shoot it yet. If its anything like my Dad and his friend's original SBE it should be perfect. They have been shooting theres for 15 years now. My Dad's broke an ejector arm after 12 or so years and thats the only trouble hes ever had. His friend didn't clean his for 4 or 5 years until my Dad cleaned it for him and he said it was hardly even dirty! I am definately sold on the reliabilty of Benellis. I've shot my Nova for 7 years now shooting every size load known to 12 guages and never had a single jam or misfire!

I hate to hear that people are having problems with Benellis. I just got a SBE II for Christmas, but haven't gotten to shoot it yet. If its anything like my Dad and his friend's original SBE it should be perfect. They have been shooting theres for 15 years now. My Dad's broke an ejector arm after 12 or so years and thats the only trouble hes ever had. His friend didn't clean his for 4 or 5 years until my Dad cleaned it for him and he said it was hardly even dirty! I am definately sold on the reliabilty of Benellis. I've shot my Nova for 7 years now shooting every size load known to 12 guages and never had a single jam or misfire!

If you pay attention to the majority of those people having problems it is because THEY are the problem. I have had a SBEII for 3 years and i have not had the first problem and once ya get used to an Italian shotgun you will should not have any either i hope! and congrats on your Xmas present!! read manual before operating and the troubleshooting procedures on website if ya have not had hunter education course!! could save your life! Lotta people take this course for granted just like i did but i have to admit i did learn a few things, if ya hunt in Colorado just about everyone has to have a Hunters Ed Card and these classes were pretty good for first time hunters as far as instructors teaching gun safety and i was surprised how many experienced hunters were told to leave range just because of their issues with gun safety!!

• 2 years later...

I have had my Benelli SBE2 for 2 hunting season now. I dove hunt and Duck Hunt with it. I have shot around 5 or 6 cases of ammo through it. Probably 3/4 of which were 3 1/2 inch super mag steel shot.( Blackcloud, Kents, and Xperts) About half way through the season this year my Benelli started to "click" and it was like the bolt wasn't all the way forward. To make a long story short I took my Bolt apart and discovered that my firing pin was slightly bent and had a small hairline crack in it. I bought a replacement pin for it. ( Out of my own pocket 35$, because I was tired of dealing with Benelli and needed one fast.) The new pin fixed my problem, and I have not had any issues since.

I was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem.

P.S. When I pay $1600+ for a shotgun I expect it not to fail after 6 cases of shells.