Best Turkey Chokes

Spur Collector

I have a friend who bought a SBE II last spring. He got the Kicks Gobblin Thunder choke tube in the .655. It shoots an awesome pattern at 40 yds.

So awesome that I sold my Browning and bought the SBE II. I haven't bought the choke tube yet but I'm definately going to.

What shotgun/choke combinations do you guys shoot or have seen, that get the best patterns for longbeards?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nitro's are pimp fo' sho',but they hit your wallet just as hard.If money is no object, I'd invest in that set up. If you want something a little cheaper and easier to get your hands on,try some Hevi 13 #6's with an Indian Creek tube.I've had to do some home taxidermy before taking photos of birds shot at 35yds.Check out the 2006 NWTF still target shoot winners equipment,if you need more proof.

Indian Creek .650 patterned like crap in my SBE II. Too tight - pattern just blew out. The choke is just collecting dust in my garage. I will probably send back to IC as I don't need it.

I don't think anyone at the NWTF did well with a Benelli and a .650 Indian Creek.

I'll stick with my Primos Jellyhead in .660 :)

IMG_0094.jpg

You can get the In. Creek tubes in whatever size you want.Direct from the factory.What shells did you shoot through your IC,Mudhen?Just Curious.

I was in contact with IC numerous times directly. Btw - the suck at replying to e-mails. I told them the shell I was shooting, Win XR 6's, and they selected the tube they thought was best, .650. I tried maybe 7-8 different shells through that choke, all performed poorly.

I'm not going to spend $500 to find out which IC choke might work best - I'll stick with my $28 Primos for now :)

Word. I only ask because in Jan. I'm taking part in a Test session that will include each size of IC tubes and various Benelli guns,along with many shot sizes and mfg.I am looking forward to getting some answers for me as well as anyone else with questions.I know that no setup is identical,but the resources are there to find a good starting point on someone else's dime.

Let us know what you find out about Indian Creek and Benelli. I'm very interested.

I Patterned the Primos Jellyhead today and I was surprised. I got better patterns than I expected from a low priced tube. I shot Federal 3 1/2" #5 with the flight control wad amd the Winchester Premium 3 1/2" #5. Both grouped real well.

Just for kicks, I tried a Federal 3 1/2" 00 Buckshot. I'd hunt with it. I didn't count the pellets, and I only shot 40 yards but it would have been lethal, I promise.

I've only had Nelli about 3 weeks. I'm going to buy a high priced tube before spring. Probably a Kicks Gobblin Thunder like my buddy. I'm anxious to see what it'll do.

Honestly,after all the patterning sessions I took part in last season,and all the combinations tested,the tube I hunted with most was a $20 Primos Tightwad tube with the Hevi 13 #6's.It also shoots old school Remington Hevishot(pre Wingmaster HD),but that was in an M1,and a Supernova.Price doesn't always make something the best.The only hard part is finding stuff that fits the "new" Benelli threads(M2/SBE2)in economical categories.I wish you the best in your quest,because turkey hunters are part of a special brotherhood,and its important to share the wealth.Stay tuned,Spring will be here before you know it!

I have been shooting the SBE (with the first pistol grip) (now called Steady Grip) for over 7 years and I have used the extended PatternMaster choke tube for 3 & 3.5 in. shells for Turkey, Ducks, Geese and Sand Hill Crane. I find, with the PatternMaster, the standard distance is over 40 yards. With Kent shells I consistantly group patterns of 95 to 84 percent in a 40 in. circle at 50 and 60 yards. But, please don't just accept what I'm saying, find someone else that has a PatternMaster and have them verify (or Challenge) my information. check the PatternMaster web site

I spoke with Mike from Indian Creek yesterday. He's a heckuva nice guy. He's sending me a couple of tubes, the .655 and the .665. I'm going to buy one and send back the one I don't want. Hopefully I'll have them by the weekend. I'll pattern them and let you guys know how they do.

I wanted to buy American made and Indian Creek is a sponsor and very involved with the NWTF. I hope their tubes shoot good in the Nelli.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also looking into an Indian Creek to put on my Super Nova Steady Grip c/w Burris 1.75-5x20mm after seeing the damage it did to targets on a Winchester 1300. A guy I hunted with uses one on his 20Ga Nova (Hevi 13 #6) and loves it.

In my experience I don't find that 3-1/2 shells pattern as well as 3" shells at least in the last 2 times I did gun/choke/shell combo's. I'll probably start with Hevi 13 # 5 & #6, Winchester Extended #5 & #6, and Winchester Double X #6.

John

I was limited on time and did some quick testing today. I patterned the Indian Creek .665 and .655 with my SBEII. I only shot 3 1/2" #5s because thats my favorite turkey load. I shot Winchesters, Federals and Hevi 13. I shot 2 ea. at 40 yards.

They were both good but the .655 was slightly better. I'm keeping the .655. It did better with the Winchester and Hevi 13. It is flat out awesome with the Hevi 13 and that will most likely be my combination for this spring. The Winchesters are a close second. I didn't count pellets or anything yet but they were touching 2 and 3 together and lots in the 3" circle and the kill zone.

I'll do some pellet counting and pictures and post them later.

I stopped at Cabela's in Pa. on my way back yesterday,and went into the Bargain Cave at the back of the store.Man!There were choke tubes in every size and mfg. in there being sold at crazy cheap prices.I got a MadMaxII for $9.99 and a rifled Ben/Ber tube for the same.They had a SBEII/M2 Comfortech recoil pad that lists for$69.99 for $10.00 in a sandwich bag!If you have a store near you,run don't walk!

• 2 weeks later...

with my 870 I use an undertake choke for hevi-shot and I use Hevi-shot in #5s and it is very deadly. I have killed turkeys up to 75 yards away. I have killed a hen at 72 yards and a gobbler at 75. Like someone else said if you have lots of $$ rhino chokes with Nitro hevi-shot are great. A guy I know has killed a gobbler at 96 yards and a bearded hen at 116 yards. Yes, he has a scope to see the turkeys when they are that far away!:D The only negative of this is that at 20 yards it is like shooting a slug, so you better be on the turkey's head .

• 5 weeks later...
Word. I only ask because in Jan. I'm taking part in a Test session that will include each size of IC tubes and various Benelli guns,along with many shot sizes and mfg.I am looking forward to getting some answers for me as well as anyone else with questions.I know that no setup is identical,but the resources are there to find a good starting point on someone else's dime.

Looking for a turkey choke for my new SBEII...

CH/QuakerBoyProstaff: How did the Indian Creek tests go?

Spur Collector: What shell works best with the SBEII/Kicks Gobblin Thunder combo?

Also, general stupid question, what bore size is the SBEII?

Thanks in advance!