Surefire M80 Rails on M4 / M1014

Flame Red

• 9 years later...
I took my M1014 out to the range and put 100 rounds thru her without any malfunctions what so ever. I am very confident that this repair does work. Also, I noted that the tape did not stick to the tubes on the barrel even after all that firing.

First of all, here is a picture of the 3M tape I used. It is available at WallyWorld and other auto parts stores. I have seen it in the store in 1/2" and one inch widths. 1/2" is perfect. This tape sticks great and is the perfect thickness. It is used to stick exterior body parts on cars, like bug shields, aftermarket ground effect kits, etc. It is pretty tough stuff.

mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTtnxTElxz6EV76EbHSHVs6EVs6E666666--

The red arrows point to the area of rubber on the M80 that the tubes can rub against causing a FTF:

IMG_0833.jpg

Note I held it up side down and the barrel is on the bottom.

Could you please re-post your pics if you still have them as I am having the same problem?

Those images were posted on Photobucket and this year they began charging $300 a year to allow folks to post pictures on 3rd party web sites like here.

Try this link to see those pictures directly:

http://s219.photobucket.com/user/flamedred/library/Benelli

I sold the Surefire M80 and got a B&T Quad-Rail instead and it works just fine without any modifications.

• 2 weeks later...

quad rail.JPG

Those images were posted on Photobucket and this year they began charging $300 a year to allow folks to post pictures on 3rd party web sites like here.

Try this link to see those pictures directly:

http://s219.photobucket.com/user/flamedred/library/Benelli

I sold the Surefire M80 and got a B&T Quad-Rail instead and it works just fine without any modifications.

I purchased the B&T 4 Rail for my Benelli M4. I installed and firmly tightened the set screw as instructed. I immediately attempted to remove the set screw. The screw will not loosen. The Allen Wrench that came with the part is made of hardened steel and it actually twisted. The Allen screw is now stripped. The only way to remove screw will be to drill screw out. This is not affecting the mounting of the 4 rail as it is a perfect fit. The problem will be trying to remove rail as it will not slide over barrel with support piece attached. I emailed company. I will see what they recommend. As a side note the screw was not cross thread, it installed perfectly. Its almost as if it is welded on there. No Loctite was used. Are you able to remove set screw from your 4 rail?

4 rail Allen Wrench.JPG

4 RAIL 1.jpg

4 RAIL 4.jpg

Edited by bodybuilder

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3327[/ATTACH]

I purchased the B&T 4 Rail for my Benelli M4. I installed and firmly tightened the set screw as instructed. I immediately attempted to remove the set screw. The screw will not loosen. The Allen Wrench that came with the part is made of hardened steel and it actually twisted. The Allen screw is now stripped. The only way to remove screw will be to drill screw out. This is not affecting the mounting of the 4 rail as it is a perfect fit. The problem will be trying to remove rail as it will not slide over barrel with support piece attached. I emailed company. I will see what they recommend. As a side note the screw was not cross thread, it installed perfectly. Its almost as if it is welded on there. No Loctite was used. Are you able to remove set screw from your 4 rail?

I had notified B&T of issue. I received a call from the CEO of B&T USA, Tim who was calling from Switzerland. An interesting call at best. I was told that there appeared to be a communication problem in the instructions on what the term "Tighten screw firmly" meant. I was told that I had overtightened the screw. I was then asked; "Why do I want to remove the rail"? When I stated for cleaning purposes as well as being able to remove an after market part to put M4 back to original state if need be. The term "aftermarket" seemed to touch a bit of a nerve as I was told that although he understood my view, this part is not considered aftermarket as B&T builds and sells their weapons for Law Enforcement from there factory and are sold with parts attached therefore not making them aftermarket parts. I was told not to use the Allen wrench that came with rail do to the fact it may be sub-standard. I was told once I was able to remove screw to email him the picture of the screw and he would send another. With all this being said, Tim and I had a very good 20 minute conversation. There seemed to be a real concern of the issue. I was able to drill out screw, install an extractor and very easily remove screw. I am very pleased with the quad rail. It really is engineered to a perfect fit. Thank you again for the recommendation.

Blessings...

• 8 months later...

I apologize for the necropost, but I'm wondering if the fact that it appears nearly every company that once made and sold railed handguards for the M4 no longer do should tell me something about the usefulness of the railed guards and maybe I should leave well enough alone on my M4? I just got my H20 LE model in and it is waiting for me to pick up at my FFL.