Choke for shooting trap/skeet?

Domonlord

Went shooting trap for the first time today with my Benelli M4... and sucked it up big time. (first day shooting shotgun as well) After 40 or so clay targets... I realized aiming well out in front of the clay target meant a MUCH higher chance of hitting the target. That said... I was using the choke that came with the shotgun (I think it's a 3 dot). Is there supposed to be a certain choke that I'm supposed to use to shoot skeet/trap?

Went shooting trap for the first time today with my Benelli M4... and sucked it up big time. (first day shooting shotgun as well) After 40 or so clay targets... I realized aiming well out in front of the clay target meant a MUCH higher chance of hitting the target. That said... I was using the choke that came with the shotgun (I think it's a 3 dot). Is there supposed to be a certain choke that I'm supposed to use to shoot skeet/trap?

nn429k.jpg

I like to shoot skeet with a "Skeet" or "Cylinder" choke;

Trap with "Light Full"

This will vary depending on where you're preferred break points are; the closer the bird the more open the choke and vice-versa.

It will make a differance if you gun in backbored or do to. I shoot full for Trap. If you have a backbored gun and improved modified will be a same as a full. For Skeet I shoot improved cylinder. If you have skeet or cylinder like Banjo said use it. I shoot IC because thats what I have.

Cylinder choke ( which I think you said you were shooting an M4) is a bad idea in trap. You could have been dead on and missed the bird. At 16 yards an IC choke will work (if your fast) but I would go with a modified or improved modified at 16 yards. 20 yards or more go with a improved modified of full.

Novaking

It will make a differance if you gun in backbored or do to. I shoot full for Trap. If you have a backbored gun and improved modified will be a same as a full. For Skeet I shoot improved cylinder. If you have skeet or cylinder like Banjo said use it. I shoot IC because thats what I have.

Cylinder choke ( which I think you said you were shooting an M4) is a bad idea in trap. You could have been dead on and missed the bird. At 16 yards an IC choke will work (if your fast) but I would go with a modified or improved modified at 16 yards. 20 yards or more go with a improved modified of full.

Novaking

M4=MOD choke stock.

• 2 years later...

Got the Supernova last week with a Max4 cammo color. First time i shot trap, and I scored 19 out of 25. First round I used the Improved Cylinder (IC), but did not do too good. on the 3rd round I switched to Modified (M) and thats how I got 19 birds on my 4th round. Not bad for my first time out. Love the sport now, going again in 2 weeks.