Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My S2000 and Customer Service

Thumbs up My S2000 and Customer Service

I would like to say that I am a happy new owner of a Stoeger 2000. As a waterfowl hunter, I purchased the black, synthetic version. It will soon wear a professional camo finish. (Never liked factory gun wraps).

After much research I was able to get an idea of what the real issues were and what problems were the result of user error, and I decided the S2000 was a good choice. After purchasing the shotgun, a can of gun scrubber, and some CLP, I gave it a good, detailed cleaning.

I shot 100 rounds of estate 1 1/8oz and remington STS 1 1/8oz re-loads, loading them into the chamber, one at a time, as I would at the trap range. Not much can go wrong. I did not suffer from any mis-fires, jams, or failures to extract.

After 100 rounds I shot another 50, with one failure to chamber, where the bolt did not fall completely forewards. I would consider the gun to not be broken in.

The next day, I took it to the trap range, and shot another 75 rounds. That is where one of my biggest complaints comes in with this weapon. It's lack of shims or ability to adjust the synthetic stock forces me, the shooter to adjust. I will try using the modified benelli shims and see how they work.

After shooting trap, myself, and some of the members of the trap team went to shoot recreationally. In pouring rain, the weapon cycled flawlessly with the exception of low velocity, 1 oz loads.

After 75 more rounds, I went to reload, pulled the bolt back and the extractor fell into my hand. The screw was NOWHERE to be found. It seems I am not the first person to have this problem, and I just don't get why it hasn't been fixed with some loc-tite. Had this happened at the gun club, it would have drawn major skepticism to the design and damaged the reputation of Stoeger. I have rarely seen a part fall off of a gun with fewer than 1,000 rounds through it.

Fortunately, I can still shoot trap as I only need one round. I called CS and they said a replacement is on its way. Holding for 5 minutes was not bad, however, it is the longest I've been on hold with a gun manufacture. I have dealt with many other manufactures and Benelli didn't seem to want to impress me. They just did their thing and I'm ok with that. UN-fortunately, it's a single-shot. I bought a semi-automatic and intended to take every advangage I had of that feature, for now, I can't.

Overall, I absolutely LOVE this weapon. I think it would be much more successful if it was equipped with shims for adjustable drop and comb, and the torx screw on the ejector was loc-tited. After removing the bolt handle, I am HORRIFIED that it is going to fall off in the field. Definately going to order a spare and hide it in the stock.

Would I reccomend this gun to others? Most definately.

Phil

My M2000 experience has been somewhat similar.
    Although I will wait UNTIL I receive my replacement "bolt handle" before I would recommend the gun to a friend {the one that flew apart and off the gun 3 weeks ago, and I have been patiently waiting to get a new one from Customer Service, 3 weeks so far !!}.
    Now my Browning /Winchester parts take an average of 5 days to get to sent to me. So maybe Benelli/Stoeger Parts Dept needs a kick in their arse's to get them to KEEP their very tolerant customers happy?
    The adjustable comb, or LOP spacers, are mostly available on higher priced guns, and they do look like a wonderful feature for trap and skeet. Your M2000 is set up to be an inexpensive Field Gun and therefore will likely benefit from your own cheap tweaking with a shaved or aftermarket butt-pad , and maybe/maybenot a moleskin pad or leather padding to adjust the comb.
    I would not spend the money to camo the gun, the ducks and geese don't care what color it is... turkeys are a bit more sensitive though.
    If you intend to make it a "duck gun" then practice shooting it in the clothing you will wear on the hunt.
    Keep it inexpensive, I see no sense in putting pig in a prom dress.

Numrichs Gun Parts has the bolt charge handle for around $30.

Unfortunately, Benelli has known of this problem since 1996 and has chosen to do nothing about it. Read Gun Tests Magazine comparison testing of the 2000 and the I-12. The I-12 kept throwing the handle. I have heard of many 2000s that have thrown the handles. Since both have the same actions, it should be expected.

I wonder why the holding company doesn't have a better call and parts center.

I personally believe that having a weapon that fits is one of the most important things for ANY use. Shooting a rifle in competition, hunting, trap shooting, wing shooting, etc.

In shooting small-bore competition, I learned the correct way to shoot a rifle- the Marine Corps way. One of the most important things in achieving your natural point of aim, is having a weapon that is fitted to the individual shooter.

It is no different in a shotgun. A shotgun that comes to shoulder that has the correct alignment will make all the difference in the world. Of course, I purchased the M2000 knowing this would not be the case, I accept the fact that I will have to do modifications myself. I don't see this as putting a pig in a prom dress, just adjusting the seat before driving. Stock shims are brilliant, relatively inexpensive, and a decent way to fit make adjustments to drop and comb.

As far as camouflage goes, this is a duck, turkey, and possibly deer gun. Waterfowl is my number one priority, and from experience, I can say that nothing (with the exception of one's face) sticks out like a BLACK shotgun poking out of a layout blind or when hiding in natural vegetation. In my area, ducks and geese incur a 107 day season. They have an amazing ability to pick out anything that isn't right. Fortunately, I have my own small business of doing high quality camouflage finishes for people that do not like cheap factory dips and warps and doing my own shotgun comes with little expense.

As far as the screw goes? I'm perplexed as to why they have not chosen to fix this problem. Some loc-tite would save the cost of shipping screws to every 4th customer. Fixing the bolt handle may be more difficult as it requires precision machining... Why not put a spare in every box?

Overall, I'm very satisfied, but I think it's important to bring about these issues.
    Last edited by IdaHowitzer; 03-06-2009 at 06:48 PM.

Smile

IdaHowitzer:
    My comments were simply 'free advice'. Some useless dribble to save a stranger some heartache, and perhaps a few dollars.
    If your desire is to spend a lot of time, money, and effort to "personalize" your M2000... then please don't let my prior advice dissuade you.

Pimp yo gun till ya grin from ear ta ear! Bully to you sir!!

When you are done, please let use know how to shim the synthetic stocked M2000 and how much it would cost to have it camo-ed.

I saw a new M2000 26" in camo in my area sell for $369. The Limbsaver replacement pad to make it a bit softer on recoil was $27. If it is out of warranty, the lost side torx screw @ Manns & Sons cost $50 to replace, and that fly-away bolt handle (part number 33151) is $30.

Although I still firmly view my M2000 Max4 as tractor grade, a billy-goat of a gun, a utilitarian tool. Nuthin' fancy nor deserving of such... (and I am still waiting to get my missing bolt handle replaced).

On the issue of ducks and black barrels, well our ducks around here don't seem to have much of a preference for camo or black barrels. They both appear to do the same job equally well.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck with your efforts

Default Mr Slugo

I can definitely see where you are coming from. Your SBE (or whatever nice shotgun) is to your M2000 as my M2000 is to my 870. I'd rather buy a 'lessor' shotgun and have it fitted than a poorly fitted LJutic, Ostentatious, or Perazzi. That's just the approach my shotguns. I've shot a few of these mentioned guns that didn't fit and can't see spending $10,000 for a gun when I score higher with my own.

Sure wish I lived in the same area as you do. My $429 M2000, which was on sale, was the cheapest I've seen one in the last 3-4 years. In fact, I know a guy who owns a sporting goods store with an FFL and he says he'd LOVE to buy a dozen for $369. He will even pay shipping.

When I get shims installed, I will post up pictures. I have talked to several people who have modified SBE II shims to fit an M2000 with little difficulty.

My advice to you would be to hold off on all the fancy add-ons till you are 100% confident you have all the bugs worked out. Your gun is pretty green yet, just wait there is a whole host of trouble headed your way.

In 3 years I put about 1000 rounds through the M2000 I had, and personally I thought it was ready for the scrap yard when I got rid of it.

That bolt handle does and will fly off when hunting with it, mine did 3 or 4 times. I am glad you like it and have the new gun enthusiasm, but make sure you put it through a good acid test first.

Default TMAC

Thanks for the advice and good words.

It should have a good couple thousand rounds through it by hunting season . If it doesn't live up to my standards as a reliable shotgun, it's not going hunting.. end of story. I'm going to make a few spare bolt handles for the hunting bag .

I am giving the Stoeger 2000 a thumbs up. I did a lot and i mean a lot of snow goose hunting this year in Nebraska. Crawling through corn fields, mud, the gun sat in the rain for 30 minutes. I even stepped in a whole while wading in the water and the gun went under water and shot flawlessley the rest of the day. I have not had a single problem other than the choke tubes being hard to get out after shooting close to 500 rounds though it. It is a very rugged gun and can take the wear and tear.
    If you clean your gun both exterior and interior, there is not a single reason why you should be having problems.

If you clean your gun both exterior and interior, there is not a single reason why you should be having problems.
    Well that's not quite true.

First let me again repeat my opinion of MY M2000. I really enjoy shooting the gun. I enjoy it's ease of cleaning, I enjoy the way it fits ME and I marvel at it's simplicity. I think it could be a very good "low priced" semi-auto that competes quite well with other such 12 gauges in the $500 price range (a little $ above, a little $ below).

The M2000 DOES need extensive initial cleaning when new because of the extreme amount of packing grease; and in my case, an extreme amount white Styrofoam packing material lodged in every crevice. These are NOT mentioned in the owners manual!

The main problems are often;
    1) a flying bolt handle of bogus design: that could easily have be addressed with Stoeger shipping an extra one(or 2) with new guns, or a low-cost replacement being readily available for those with older guns. At a $30 cost with a month back-order for Stoeger bolts, compared to $15 for a Browning Gold bolt: well the Stoeger is way over-priced on this essential part.
    If an owner tries to "file" a deeper slot to fit the handle to the detent ball, hummm, it looks like it would void the warranty. And also, YES that bolt handle CAN break into pieces without having the owner slam the bolt closed with the barrel missing. That RUMOR blaming the owner for the broken/missing bolt is plain stupid. The bolt handle inherently could possibly snap at the "neck" thus leaving the round "nub" head in the gun (opposite the detent ball) while flying the handle outwards.

2) The flying (torx) side screw on the Left side of the receiver: LOCTITE the darn thing at the factory!
    If it does fail, Stoeger needs to get a better network of regional gunsmith to replace & repair this part. A gun under warranty should not be serviced by the owner.

3)Well the choke tubes do need better chroming, as they flake off, but heck it's a small issue that when I shot mine all the chrome simply shot-away...thus I make sure to use choke-lube!

4) The newer guns, mine was made in 2008, seem to have a very good machine work on the moving parts. BUT the factory does need to test fire and tweak a few small areas of the M2000 before shipping. Mine needed a small "smoothing" under the firing pin cause of light burring, and the "rotating locking head" may need a bit of dealer fit in the future as mine looks like it may burr.

In conclusion: Stoeger needs to improve Customer Service in parts availability and turn-around time.
    They need better factory QC.
    They need better Dealer networks for simple "in-house" adjustments and repairs.

If they do that , it will still be a FIGHT in the Benelli board room as to which gun line to keep. The Franchi 12 (better finish) , the Stoeger M2000 (better price in global recession).
    Judging by my local Cabellas and Bass Pro, looks like the shelves do not have new M2000's. But maybe they are just "back-ordered".

I do like my M2000. I would not like to see the product go extinct. SIMPLE product support by the Company of this gun would solve (or smooth-over) 99% of this guns bad rep. It's a good design. It's a good price. Stoeger needs to make it WORK by simply satisfying customers on these issues.
    Last edited by Mr Slugo; 03-28-2009 at 03:25 PM.