Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How good is the Stoeger over under shotgun

1. Default How good is the Stoeger over under shotgun

I am thinking of purchasing a over and under shotgun and have been thinking of purchasing a Stoeger Condor Supreme in 20 gauge. I will be basically using this gun for upland bird hunting and some clay target shooting. My question is how good is the quality of this shotgun? I have read numerous articles and it rates pretty good. I do like the looks and feel of this shotgun too.

If you know whats good for you you will leave this one alone and find a used Beretta, Browning, Winchester, Ruger or somthing along those lines that you can pass down to your kids for generations.

I hate disposeble crap.......harsh but my 2cents.

3. Default

Thank you very much for the reply. I got to thinking of this and this makes me wonder why I don't plan on purchasing this over and under shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by TMAC View Post
    If you know whats good for you you will leave this one alone and find a used Beretta, Browning, Winchester, Ruger or somthing along those lines that you can pass down to your kids for generations.

I hate disposeble crap.......harsh but my 2cents.
    I just bought a combo condor and it seems great. This is my first O/U shotgun, but seemed like a really good place to start?? What are the problems with this shotgun related to your comments?? I can always buy another brand if I really get to enjoy this type of shotgun..

5. Default

thank you for replying. I don't have any problems with this shotgun because I haven't ever owned one of these Stoeger guns. I was just curious on how good is the quality of Stoeger shotguns.

Good answer TMAC..

GTUCKER...

Save more bucks and get a good O/U.

Yes, I have a Stoeger, its a good door stop or just to take out and shoot tin cans.

I since purchased a used Ruger and enjoy shooting it without the worry of a mis-fire..

Read more, ask more...

Thumbs up

i have two stoegers, one being a condor o/u combo........ i ALWAYS take it with me when i do sporting clays or trap. i have close to 2000 12 ga rounds (mabey 100 20ga) throgh that gun and Never had a problem with it. I give it a A+. i have 4 shot guns and that one is the most dependable!

So those of you who say this is a bad shotgun, what are your reasons for this comment??? What is the problem in quality??

Jekel,

Depends on your needs and wants. To some, its an excellent shotgun. To others, its not. I'm somewhere in between.

If you get one that works properly (some don't, right from the factory) and you accept that you get what you pay for, you'll be happy.

But if you compare it side by side with, say, a Browning Citori, the Condor will come up desperately lacking.

Though there are exceptions, the wood is not as nice, the fit and finish are not as nice, its just more "in the rough."

If you open it up and look, you'll find the machining on the internals is very rough, the workmanship is not that great, and the materials used on the internals is not up to par with more expensive firearms.

Though you don't hear it too often, barrel alignment can be a problem. Most are fine. That is, it is important that both barrels shoot to the same point of impact. Manufacturers of high quality firearms go to great lengths to assure this is the case. On the Condors, usually they're fine, but there have been complaints.

Also, the trigger mechanism is very rough. Finer firearms have a nice, crisp trigger with little or no creep. The trigger on the Condor feels like a Daisy Red Rider with sand and gravel in the mechanism.

Many posters here have had difficulty with getting a second shot off (the safety will reset back to "safe" after the first shot) and other various malaises and maladies, for which the gun must be sent back for repairs.

There is a known problem with cracking of the wood in the area of the stock that mates up to the receiver.

That being said, I have had my Condor since 2001, used it for my skeet league until I got better guns, and have killed many pheasants with it.

If you're not going to shoot 5,000 rounds a year through it, it'll probably be fine. If you get one that works like its supposed to.
    Last edited by timb99; 11-05-2009 at 01:53 PM.

1000 rounds of trap or sporting clays aint nothing, for a regular shooting this isnt even one season. These guns are just not built well enough for any type of volume shooting, and are basically for occasional use.

The wood is ho hum at best. Mechanical failure seem almost as prevelant with the O/U as with the M2000 auto's. It is an inexpensive gun and you are getting what you pay for.

If you want somthing to last then go with the best, even a well used Browning, Remington, Berretta, Ruger, ect.......is a better way to go.

I friend of mine once sold these for a big name store we all know, that store will no longer carry the Stoeger line and wont even take a trade on any of their products because of the high volume of returns.