Thread: stoeger stf 3000

Question stoeger stf 3000

I just purchased a stoeger stf 3000 from dicks sporting goods. I have two question that the I could not find in the owners manual.

When i pull the trigger and dry firer this gun it only clicks once You have to reset the safety to get a second click.

Question # 1: Will this happen with live ammo or does this only happen when you dry fire?

Question # 1: Which barrel fires first the top or bottom?

I really appreciate any info on these matters. This is my first over/under shotgun and I hope it isn't broken right out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by glmpa201 View Post
    I just purchased a stoeger stf 3000 from dicks sporting goods. I have two question that the I could not find in the owners manual.

When i pull the trigger and dry fire this gun it only clicks once You have to reset the safety to get a second click.

Question # 1: Will this happen with live ammo or does this only happen when you dry fire?

Question # 1: Which barrel fires first the top or bottom?

I really appreciate any info on these matters. This is my first over/under shotgun and I hope it isn't broken right out of the box.
    1. The Stoeger Condor (and its twin, the STF 3000), like many single-trigger double-barrels has a feature called an inertial reset trigger. What that means, in layman's terms, is the gun needs a live shell to actually be fired with the first trigger pull in order to reset the trigger mechanism to fire the second barrel on the second trigger pull. If you are dry firing or using snap caps, the trigger will not reset and you won't get a "click" on the second pull of the trigger unless you switch the safety on and back off again.

To test this, open the action and put in snap caps (I don't recommend dry firing without snap caps.) Dry fire the bottom barrel by pulling the trigger once. Without doing anything else (don't touch the trigger or the safety), bump the gun's recoil pad on the floor firmly (trying to simulate a shot), then try the trigger again to dry fire the top barrel. It should work. This is normal for most over-unders, and is nothing to be concerned about.

2. If the STF 3000 is the same as the Condor, it will be bottom barrel first.

Quote Originally Posted by timb99 View Post
    1. The Stoeger Condor (and its twin, the STF 3000), like many single-trigger double-barrels has a feature called an inertial reset trigger. What that means, in layman's terms, is the gun needs a live shell to actually be fired with the first trigger pull in order to reset the trigger mechanism to fire the second barrel on the second trigger pull. If you are dry firing or using snap caps, the trigger will not reset and you won't get a "click" on the second pull of the trigger unless you switch the safety on and back off again.

To test this, open the action and put in snap caps (I don't recommend dry firing without snap caps.) Dry fire the bottom barrel by pulling the trigger once. Without doing anything else (don't touch the trigger or the safety), bump the gun's recoil pad on the floor firmly (trying to simulate a shot), then try the trigger again to dry fire the top barrel. It should work. This is normal for most over-unders, and is nothing to be concerned about.

2. If the STF 3000 is the same as the Condor, it will be bottom barrel first.
    Excellent advice. We have had customers return to the store with issues of the internal reset not activating during live fire. Benelli customer service advises the same thing I do and the same test Tim did. My advice is to fire a box or two of high-brass field loads to loosen the gun up. And a steady repeat of the "bump test" is another way to get the action to loosen up should you run into live-fire issues....Good luck and keep us posted. The STF3000 is my very next gun purchase...Seems to be a great value for the money - especially for someone like me who has been a lifetime tactical/target shooter and has decided to try a more "gentlemenly" sport this year....