Turkey Choke question re - sizing

Bill Kemp

Hello:

I would like to ask about how things are sized with turkey chokes. I bought my Benelli SBE II and the guys threw in a Mad Max II turkey choke (not ported). It states that the constriction is a .660 constriction.

I would like to use the Federal Premium High Velocity turkey load that has the flite control wad. They state that the restriction should be .665 or larger. See below info:

Revolutionary Flitecontrol™ wads stay with shot longer, providing more pellets on target, and 30% tighter patterns than traditional wad systems. Copper-plated buffered shot for dense, tight, uniform patterns. High velocity. 10 rounds per box.

Per the manufacturer, optimal performance will be obtained when used with non-ported chokes having a constriction of .665 of an inch and larger. Ported chokes can be used, but may not pattern as well.

Here are the questions:

1. Am I able to use this ammunition with the mad max choke that was given to me?

2. What do the numbers mean as they go up or down?

Sorry for posting so many questions lately but I am a new owner and want to learn as much as possible.

Regards

Bill

Hello:

I would like to ask about how things are sized with turkey chokes. I bought my Benelli SBE II and the guys threw in a Mad Max II turkey choke (not ported). It states that the constriction is a .660 constriction.

I would like to use the Federal Premium High Velocity turkey load that has the flite control wad. They state that the restriction should be .665 or larger. See below info:

Revolutionary Flitecontrol™ wads stay with shot longer, providing more pellets on target, and 30% tighter patterns than traditional wad systems. Copper-plated buffered shot for dense, tight, uniform patterns. High velocity. 10 rounds per box.

Per the manufacturer, optimal performance will be obtained when used with non-ported chokes having a constriction of .665 of an inch and larger. Ported chokes can be used, but may not pattern as well.

Here are the questions:

1. Am I able to use this ammunition with the mad max choke that was given to me?

2. What do the numbers mean as they go up or down?

Sorry for posting so many questions lately but I am a new owner and want to learn as much as possible.

Regards

Bill

You should be fine, as the 3 digit numbers go down it gets tighter, but for the smaller numbers such as .025 mean how much its restricted and as the number goes down the restriction goes looser. The number you posted is the actual inside diameter of the choke.