Shooting light loads.

flatsman49

Which is telling you nothing at all. Benelli guns seem to be highly variable in delivered spring weight. Some guns run anything, some balk with less than 2 3/4" 00 in the first 200 rounds.

To answer the question: yes, the lighter spring will most likely help you.

In addition, when you remove the plunger tube, go ahead and polish and chamfer the edges of the plunger itself, and polish the inside of the tube. This would not be a bad time to coat them with a teflon finish (Brownells +/- $26/can) or see about having it done by a local shop. Many automotive/engine shops are offering PTFE coatings.

• 2 months later...

Greetings,

I have a 12 gauge Cordoba. (same gun different asthetics) with the reduced power Wolff spring. It shoots 1 oz. 1180 fps loads flawlessly. Anything below that and I get an occasional cycling problem. My Father-in-Law has a 12 gauge Sport 2 (same gun different asthetics) with a stock recoil spring that shoots ANY light you put in it. It shoots 7/8oz. just fine and even cycles 3/4 oz loads.

I used to own a 12 gauge Super Sport (same gun different asthetics) that had serious cycling problems. It wouldn't cycle factory 3 dram 1 1/8 loads. I Broke it in according to the manual with 3 boxes of heavy field loads (3 3/4 dram 1 1/4 ounces of shot). Then shot a about 500 hundred target loads through it all the while hoping the problem would work itself out, but it never did. 3 seperate returns to Benelli for warranty work didn't fix the problem, they kept blaming the ammo and said their test firing revealed no cycling problems. The dealer interviened by buying my gun back for the original price I paid and then offered me any gun in the store for 10% over dealer cost. I bought the Cordoba from him and shot 3 dram 1 1/8 ammo through it without a breaking it in without one single cycling problem. This was the same exact ammo that wouldn't work in the Super Sport. It was even from the same lot number. The Cordoba has performed superbly to date. I love everything about the gun except it's appearance. I am seriously missing the carbon fiber finish and polished receiver. I am contemplating buying a Super Sport for target shooting and using the Cordoba in the field.

You might want to consider a Wolff reduced power hammer spring. It can lesson some of the friction one feels while pulling the trigger.

you know it says in the manual that your gun might need to be broken in somewhat, in order to shoot the light loads. get about 100-200 heavy game loads, buckshot, or magnum loads. after that you should be fine. keep in mind these guns like to be lubed.

if you change out the spring, be warned that now shooting heavy loads like buckshot or magnums could be to much load on the lighter springs.