Thread: Benelli Nova. Shooting Slugs?

Default Benelli Nova. Shooting Slugs?

I recently bought my first shotgun; a Benelli Nova, 12 gauge. The barrel is threaded for chokes. Does this mean that I can only shoot shots or can I shoot slugs as well? If I can shoot slugs, would I still put some kind of a choke on it, or just let the threads be exposed?

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum!!! You can fire slugs...Definitely don't shoot with the threads exposed! You could do some damage....you will be fine using a Mod choke or less like cylinder or Improved cylinder but definitely don't want Full choke

Later,

Hookster

Thanks Hookster.

Do you have a link to a place where I can buy it? I'm not sure what a Mod choke would look like.

Modified choke, your gun should have come with 3 choke tubes, find the one with an M stamped on it and put it in your gun.

Benelli chokes are not typically marked M, C, etc.
    Instead there will be a number of notches cut into the rim of the choke tube, which will indicate the degree of constriction.

As Hookster indicated, do not shoot slugs through a choke tighter than Modified (M). I'd go with IC.

Quote Originally Posted by tucker301 View Post
    Benelli chokes are not typically marked M, C, etc.
    Instead there will be a number of notches cut into the rim of the choke tube, which will indicate the degree of constriction.

As Hookster indicated, do not shoot slugs through a choke tighter than Modified (M). I'd go with IC.

Thanks tucker301,

I see that I do have one with one notch, one with two notches, and one with three. Do the notches always designate the same tightness or are those specific to Benelli's?

Another question I have is what do the letter mean? I assume F means full. M mean modified.

Thanks again in advance.