Benelli Nova. Shooting Slugs?

paulxh

I recently bought my first shotgun; a Benelli Nova, 12 gauge. The barrel is threaded for chokes. Does this mean that I can only shoot shots or can I shoot slugs as well? If I can shoot slugs, would I still put some kind of a choke on it, or just let the threads be exposed?

Benelli chokes are not typically marked M, C, etc.

Instead there will be a number of notches cut into the rim of the choke tube, which will indicate the degree of constriction.

As Hookster indicated, do not shoot slugs through a choke tighter than Modified (M). I'd go with IC.

standard_chokes.gif

Instead there will be a number of notches cut into the rim of the choke tube, which will indicate the degree of constriction.

As Hookster indicated, do not shoot slugs through a choke tighter than Modified (M). I'd go with IC.

standard_chokes.gif

Thanks tucker301,

I see that I do have one with one notch, one with two notches, and one with three. Do the notches always designate the same tightness or are those specific to Benelli's?

Another question I have is what do the letter mean? I assume F means full. M mean modified.

Thanks again in advance.

• 2 years later...

standard_chokes.gif

For trap shooting and sporting clay shooting, what choke is recommended and why? I am starting to guess that it depends on the type of shells I am using and the distance I am from the target such as in skeet. With a high velocity and tighter pattern shells a wider choke such as the IM or F I am guessing is OK, and to use F or IM for the opposite end. I am guessing the M is an all around average choke. However, I get so many differnt opions at the ranges. I really have not shot enough to know the differences and you just can't keep changing out your chokes while shooting with others.