Choke for a Benelli Supernova

pastortlc

I am new to this forum and new to Benelli shotguns. After 18 years I am getting back into duck hunting. I bought a new Benelli Supernova yesterday to use in this endeavor. I am really excited about this gun and in a few years, if I stay with it, I will upgrade to a Benelli auto.

Here is my question, what choke tube would you recommend for duck hunting? Are the tubes that come with the gun adequate or should I upgrade the choke tube and if so, what would you recommend as well as shells.

I will be hunting ponds and open water on lakes. We mostly have woodies in this area with a mixture of other ducks.

Thanks for any assistance.

• 1 month later...

You'll be happy with the Super Nova, I've had mine for four or five years now and have shot hundreds of ducks, geese, quail, and pheasant and never had alone single jam or malfunction. Yes its a little heavy but that's so when you shoot 3 1/2" shells (especially turkey load) it doesn't rip your shoulder off. I have a BlackCloud close range extended choke tube i use for all waterfowl and love it, if not i use the standard Modified choke for waterfowl hunting

• 2 weeks later...

Modified over ponds should be adequate... you should pattern the gun with the loads you plan to use. Some non-toxic loads actually pattern better / tighter w/a modified choke than they do with full or extra-full... I speak from experience.

Also, you will get varying density patterns with different 'lengths' of shells of the same type / brand... going from 2-3/4 to 3 to 3-1/2, etc. --CC