Suggestions for M4 Light and Light Rail for fore end.

waveone

Gentlemen, I have been conflicted as to where to mount a light on my M4(have an M3 also- suggestions?) and have determined to mount a light under the barrel on the mag extension, which I assume is possible.

Does anyone have suggestions as to which rail and perhaps a light as well? While this sounds fairly basic, I am looking for the option which is lightest and least hassle in installation, yet durable to withstand the recoil shock.

I have an Asgard Side Saddle on order, so weight is somewhat of an issue but not a deal breaker.

Thank you

What you seek is the Ava Tactical light mount with a Surefire Outdoorsman body and tailcap, then a 500 lumen Scout light head. It won't interfere with disassembly of the weapon. It's about as light as physically possible. It holds the light in the perfect position for momentary/constant activation.

I should have looked a bit before I initiated a thread because I saw your post on the AVA mount. A bit pricey but I like it and like how the mount is close enough to the end of the barrel so as not to cast a shadow. Thank you very much.

Also, do you have a recommendation on a full length spring for the extended magazine I put on ? Are the ss ones from Brownells worth it or should I go with the Carrier Comp model?

Thank you again

I should have looked a bit before I initiated a thread because I saw your post on the AVA mount. A bit pricey but I like it and like how the mount is close enough to the end of the barrel so as not to cast a shadow. Thank you very much.

Also, do you have a recommendation on a full length spring for the extended magazine I put on ? Are the ss ones from Brownells worth it or should I go with the Carrier Comp model?

Thank you again

The AVA mount is worth the money, IMO. I still have shadowing from the barrel but I don't have an SBS M4.

The wolf spring carriercomp sells is only $12 and is known to function well.

The AVA mount is worth the money, IMO. I still have shadowing from the barrel but I don't have an SBS M4.

The wolf spring carriercomp sells is only $12 and is known to function well.

Thank you sir. I should have done a search before asking both questions but I did notice that there are a couple different spring sources. The wolf spring is news to me.

I don't have a SBS M4 either it is the full 18". While I like the apparent multi -function of the AVA system I do not like the idea about the shadowing in all candor. Although, that is probably a small trade off for it's function and durability.

I've paid more and gotten less with other light mounting solutions. I think I paid nearly the same amount for the Surefire M80 rail, and hated it. The price is high, but you are buying a quality made CNC machined item made here in the US. These aren't extrusions like most of the other offerings. Plus this won't interfere with disassembly of the weapon like most of the other options out there.

Get the carriercomp spring/follower and preferably one of their magazine tubes.

DSC00036_zps0aszhd9j.jpg

My older setup, the Surefire Outdoorsman body/tailcap and a M600C Scout head. I've swapped the head for a 500 lumen M600U head. Currently it and the mount are out being painted in Burnt Bronze Cerakote.

DSC00039_zps0x0qsqiy.jpg

Here is a M600C 200 lumen head's barrel shadow. The 500 lumen model is similar, you just have a further throw. In the field, I don't even notice the shadow.

Edited by StrangerDanger

I've paid more and gotten less with other light mounting solutions. I think I paid nearly the same amount for the Surefire M80 rail, and hated it. The price is high, but you are buying a quality made CNC machined item made here in the US. These aren't extrusions like most of the other offerings. Plus this won't interfere with disassembly of the weapon like most of the other options out there.

Get the carriercomp spring/follower and preferably one of their magazine tubes.

DSC00036_zps0aszhd9j.jpg

My older setup, the Surefire Outdoorsman body/tailcap and a M600C Scout head. I've swapped the head for a 500 lumen M600U head. Currently it and the mount are out being painted in Burnt Bronze Cerakote.

DSC00039_zps0x0qsqiy.jpg

Here is a M600C 200 lumen head's barrel shadow. The 500 lumen model is similar, you just have a further throw. In the field, I don't even notice the shadow.

Thank you very much! The picture helps tremendously.

I really like the BLAM mount. There are several different mounting options at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions. I use a Surefire X300U with a remote tape switch. It does make for a bit of a shadow with the barrel, but I am used to it. I actually have an extra 3/9 o'clock BLAM mount because I prefer the 6 position.

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/flashlights-accessories/flashlight-mounts/benelli-blam-light-mounts-prod44716.aspx

Nice job on that tailcap Chief.

I had the BLAM4 mount before. I found it to be rather limiting when it comes to sling options and what kind of light/light activation method you're using. I ended up cutting the mount down and turned it into a QD mount by drilling a hole through the bracket and mounting a IWC QD sling mount into it. I used it until the Ava Tactical mount was released.