Ammo Thread: What Are You Feeding Your Benelli?

Dudeman

I can't believe there isn't a dedicated thread for shotgun ammo here.

(I didn't come up with much with the search function except for a bunch of individual threads on particular gun/load combinations.)

A thread with a list of which guns like which loads could be a useful resource for some of us. It could potentially shorten the list of what is available, known to work well (or not so well) and could help forum members save a little cash.

So, what loads are you using in your Benelli? Make, type, size? Have you found anything that didn't cycle properly or pattern well? What is your go-to load for the type of shooting/hunting/competing that you do?

Mine:

Benelli Nova Tactical - 18.5" smooth bore barrel w/ ghost ring sights.

Used primarily for home defense.

Hornady TAP FPD 00-Buck - 2 3/4" - Patterns very well out to 25 yards. My go-to choice for HD. Devastating terminal effects on pumpkins and watermelons. Shot to point of aim without having to adjust the sights.

Speer Lawman rifled slug - 2 3/4" - Not consistent at all in my gun. I'm lucky to get less than a five-inch group at 50 yards with these.

Federal "Tru-Ball" 1 oz. rifled slug - 2 3/4" - More consistent than the Speer's at 2.5"-3" at 50 yards but I'm not completely impressed with them.

I'm still looking for an accurate rifled slug for the NT.

Fired through the M4:

Remington

- low recoil slug

- low recoil 00 buckshot

- #7 bird

Sellier & Bellot

- Slug

- 00 Buckshot

- #4 buckshot

Fiocci

- 00 buckshot

Federal

- LE low recoil 00 buckshot

- high power 00 buckshot

Winchester

- Ranger 1oz LE slug

All have functioned fine. there is a noticeable recoil difference between the 'low recoil' rounds and the 'high power' rounds, but all of them function and pattern fine.

I have designated the Federal LE low recoil buckshot and the Winchester Ranger as my "defensive use" rounds. I get a nice 3" cluster of 5 rounds at 50 yards with the slugs and can keep the 00 buck in a 9" circle out to 25 yards.

Edited by trob09

I have not found any round (slugs, buck, steel, 3" magnum, etc.) that did not function properly. Primarily use Hornady brand. I've mixed buck and slug in the same magazine tube with no problems.

I do clean the M4 after every range or hunting event and follow the recommended lubrication noted in the M4 manual.

Note: I did have some feed issues for the first 100 rds from the M4, but I consider that a '"break-in" period event. For the break-in event use 00Buck.

12's: Prairie Storm, Golden Pheasant, Fiocchi Crusher & Super Crusher, LE13200(flite control), TruBall Slugs, Brenneke slugs, DDuplex slugs, Winchester AA's

20's: AA Super Sport, Prairie Storm, Golden Pheasant

Do you remember which Brenneke slugs? Also, which 12 gauge are you shooting them in?

I have not found any round (slugs, buck, steel, 3" magnum, etc.) that did not function properly. Primarily use Hornady brand. I've mixed buck and slug in the same magazine tube with no problems.

I do clean the M4 after every range or hunting event and follow the recommended lubrication noted in the M4 manual.

Note: I did have some feed issues for the first 100 rds from the M4, but I consider that a '"break-in" period event. For the break-in event use 00Buck.

I've always had good luck with Hornady ammo in my rifles and pistols. Their TAP FPD 00-Buck is awesome in my NT, too. I haven't really looked into them for slugs except for the SST sabots, but I know that they won't do well in my smooth bore barrel. Is there a rifled slug that they make that you can recommend? Thanks.

Edited by Dudeman

Hi

I'm a new M4 owner and just shot some slugs and was amazed with the gun and rounds accuracy. The rounds were:

Lightfield Hybred Sabot EXP 1.25 oz slugs @ 1400 ft/sec - 2323 ft/lb

The box notes: greater accuracy with rifled barrels or tube/ in smooth bores use cylinder or improved cylinder bore only* it also gives a trajectory graph out to 125 yards

It was indoor so it was at 25 yards but a friend and I were both pretty much shooing the centers out of the targets with 3 shot groups. These boxes are older but I'd call Lightfield and see what they have now for an accurate slug.

Matt

I've always had good luck with Hornady ammo in my rifles and pistols. Their TAP FPD 00-Buck is awesome in my NT, too. I haven't really looked into them for slugs except for the SST sabots, but I know that they won't do well in my smooth bore barrel. Is there a rifled slug that they make that you can recommend? Thanks.

See this link: http://www.hornady.com/store/Superformance-Slugs

I shoot trap with my 12 gauge Montefeltro. I use Federal Top Gun Target Load -- 2 3/4", 7 1/2 shot size, 1 1/8 oz, using a modified choke, and a full choke occasionally. Estate shells shoot to the left in patterning tests. Rio's did not, but seem to be "dirtier" to me. While I occasionally use other brands of shells, I haven't run patterning tests with them.