Benelli M4 damage - is this normal wear?

hkgermany

Dear Forum members,

When comparing my two M4s, the short barreled versions (from 2003, 2port barrels, I checked it) displays some significant wear in the piston area, like if the pistons are cutting into the metal on the barrel side. Round count is about 350-400 slugs. Furthermore, both pistons are protruding approx. 5mm out of the piston tube (see pictures) My question: Is this normal? Did anybody else experience similar things? My newer M4 looks a bit different in that area (I think they changed the designs over the years) with no signs of wear.

I would be great If anybody has experience and help me out with that issue.

Thanks you in advance.

-hkgermany

m4_2.jpg

m4_1.jpg

• 2 months later...
I'm also curious about this. I have developed similar wear on a chrome lined barrel I recently purchased.

Picture of your barrel/damage?

Does it have no skirt like the above barrel, or is it a newer one with a skirt?

They are all chrome lined.

Edited by Unobtanium

• 5 weeks later...

Well, Benelli replaced the barrel with another CL Barrel, but this one has the ledge on the rear specifically for the non-M1014 models (it takes up the space under the handgaurds). The barrel the replaced it with was "used," but it looked like it was at most a new blem, as it had a ding close to the crown, but all factory parkerizing was impecable (even in the ding), and the bore/pistons looked as though they had only been test fired. They said that the barrel I had with the damage was a very old model.

Well, Benelli replaced the barrel with another CL Barrel, but this one has the ledge on the rear specifically for the non-M1014 models (it takes up the space under the handgaurds). The barrel the replaced it with was "used," but it looked like it was at most a new blem, as it had a ding close to the crown, but all factory parkerizing was impecable (even in the ding), and the bore/pistons looked as though they had only been test fired. They said that the barrel I had with the damage was a very old model.

Correct all around. They owe you proper handguards to fit it, or you can buy some FFT's (not as good as OEM), or some take-offs, or actual OEM's new.