RMR Mounting Options

ClackClackBAM

37 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

image.jpeg.17df355c0ccd075366ff6c6becdeb0d8.jpeg
The sight channel cut into the picatinny rail doesn’t leave much aluminum on the mounting lug to sit against. The 12 gauge recoil is pretty rough and will cause damage. This is why Carriercomp and FFT made a reproduction rail with full picatinny rail lugs. 

This is off topic, but what are your thoughts on the Carriercomp TI magazine tube? They claim to match the OEM color perfectly, which is what I'm after. If it's legit, then I can get the benefit of the light titanium but the stealth look of the OEM color that I'm after. 

When I had the Larue Mount, I tightened the lever really tight and it kept it from tearing it up. The Sync rail is a better setup in my experience. 

You can’t get any better than the Carriercomp tube. They custom blend the Cerakote finish to match the factory barrel. It matches better than the OEM tubes. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

When I had the Larue Mount, I tightened the lever really tight and it kept it from tearing it up. The Sync rail is a better setup in my experience. 

You can’t get any better than the Carriercomp tube. They custom blend the Cerakote finish to match the factory barrel. It matches better than the OEM tubes. 

Okay, awesome! So I'll have the color match of the stock tube with the weight reduction of titanium. I'll place an order now!!

From the pictures it looked much better than the stock tube, so I'm sure it will be even nicer in person!

Quick q- I know it comes with their premium spring. Will I be able to get seven 2 3/4" Federal buckshot in there, or will it give me trouble like the Benelli factory spring?

2 minutes ago, ClackClackBAM said:

From the pictures it looked much better than the stock tube, so I'm sure it will be even nicer in person!

Quick q- I know it comes with their premium spring. Will I be able to get seven 2 3/4" Federal buckshot in there, or will it give me trouble like the Benelli factory spring?

I replaced the OEM spring with the Wolff in my factory 7 round tube. Now I’m able to get 7 Federal buckshot in there.

• Upvote 1

It’ll depend on the brand of ammo. Some ammo runs longer than the spec which can reduce capacity. Some trim springs to give a little more room, but I usually avoid this myself. 

Setting the spring retainer at the maximum height will help give you more room. Some even leave the clip out. 

13 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

It’ll depend on the brand of ammo. Some ammo runs longer than the spec which can reduce capacity. Some trim springs to give a little more room, but I usually avoid this myself. 

Setting the spring retainer at the maximum height will help give you more room. Some even leave the clip out. 

Okay cool, I'll give it a shot. I use Federal 95% of the time, so we'll see how it goes. I read somewhere on here that the FFT spring allows for all seven Federal rounds, so if this one doesn't work I'll just pick up one of those.

Any chance you still have that LaRue mount for the RMR? I'd be happy to buy it off of you if you're willing to part with it.

The Larue Mount I have was for the Aimpoint T1/T2. Same design issues. 

Most have good luck with the Carriercomp spring. It was made by Wolff also, so it’s a quality piece. One of my has been left loaded for a decade now and run thru around 10k rounds without any issues. 

Oh I see. Okay, well it should be all good then. 

By chance do you know anyone selling the Rm33 or a LaRue like that? Now that the new stock is on, I've decided to keep the rail since having the RMR on there will keep my head up a little bit. I don't mind the ergonomics of the stock with the iron sights, but my cheekbones stick out a bit and whenever I shoot a 12 gauge in that position I get smacked in the face. 

Makes sense to want a higher mount. A higher mount works better with the collapsible stock’s middle position too. 

Larue doesn’t use resellers and I’m banned from buying their products until doomsday. An out of country (Australia) client of mine ordered items from Larue with the intent to drop ship them to me and I guess they blocked the shipment. I think it was something stupid like one of their weapon light quick detach mounts. Apparently that violated their company rules. Some time later I attempted to place an order and it was rejected. When I called them to ask what the problem was they told me about what had occurred and left no way to resolve the issue. I asked if I had the guy in Australia order stuff to Mark Larue if they’d ban Mark too, I got no reply. I’ve met Mark several times at Shotshow and other venues and have gotten along with him great. 

My ban led me look for alternatives that arguably are better products. So no big loss for me. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, ClackClackBAM said:

Oh I see. Okay, well it should be all good then. 

By chance do you know anyone selling the Rm33 or a LaRue like that? Now that the new stock is on, I've decided to keep the rail since having the RMR on there will keep my head up a little bit. I don't mind the ergonomics of the stock with the iron sights, but my cheekbones stick out a bit and whenever I shoot a 12 gauge in that position I get smacked in the face. 

I’d check out the ADM mount. I have used their mounts across platforms and optic types and have had great luck. I currently use an ADM Low for my T-2 on my M4. They make an RMR one: https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/241/

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, StrangerDanger said:

Makes sense to want a higher mount. A higher mount works better with the collapsible stock’s middle position too. 

Larue doesn’t use resellers and I’m banned from buying their products until doomsday. An out of country (Australia) client of mine ordered items from Larue with the intent to drop ship them to me and I guess they blocked the shipment. I think it was something stupid like one of their weapon light quick detach mounts. Apparently that violated their company rules. Some time later I attempted to place an order and it was rejected. When I called them to ask what the problem was they told me about what had occurred and left no way to resolve the issue. I asked if I had the guy in Australia order stuff to Mark Larue if they’d ban Mark too, I got no reply. I’ve met Mark several times at Shotshow and other venues and have gotten along with him great. 

My ban led me look for alternatives that arguably are better products. So no big loss for me. 

Wow, that's some bullshit. I'd just create a new account with a new email then have it shipped to a PO box or to a friends house. But if you found things that are better, then screw em.

1 hour ago, ClackClackBAM said:

Wow, that's some bullshit. I'd just create a new account with a new email then have it shipped to a PO box or to a friends house. But if you found things that are better, then screw em.

Yep. I’d just have it sent to a friend or whatever. But I found I have no need for their products anyway. Impact Weapon Components are far superior light mounts. Scalarworks mounts are better optic mounts. I just put a Schmidt and Bender 5-25x56 optic in one of their ring mounts for an AR10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. It was by far the easiest mounting I have ever done and by far the lightest mount for the application. 

30 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

Yep. I’d just have it sent to a friend or whatever. But I found I have no need for their products anyway. Impact Weapon Components are far superior light mounts. Scalarworks mounts are better optic mounts. I just put a Schmidt and Bender 5-25x56 optic in one of their ring mounts for an AR10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. It was by far the easiest mounting I have ever done and by far the lightest mount for the application. 

Hmm, good to know! I'll look into their stuff tonight. Thanks for the lead!

*Edit- I just pulled up Scalarworks but it seems they only have the one type of mount for the RMR. I do like it, but I want to mount on top of my rail. Any suggestions for that?

Edited by ClackClackBAM

Tried to edit the post but I couldn't for some reason. Went back to their sight and saw other mounts for the RMR but they are too high.

By chance I hopped onto eBay and found a slightly used RM33 for $35 so I did a Buy It Now. I figure it's cheap enough that I can try it out and if I don't like the position on the rail, I'll just ditch the rail and get the flush mounted Scalarworks.

Well I'm pushing towards the RMR because I already have one laying around that I'm not using. As for the Scalaworks mount, I like it but it's just too low with this new stock. At full extension it's fine, but in the middle setting, where this stock will most likely live, I have to drop my head way down and it's very hard on my neck.