M4 charging handle: spinner, or nay?

shootingsight

M4 Charging handle. Spinner, or fixed?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these styles of charging handle would you prefer?

• Benelli OEM. Sort of non-rotating, but if you rotate it, it eases disassembly or possibly walks itself out unintended.
    • Spinner. Charging handle can rotate. Getting it out requires a straight sideways pull.
    • Non-rotating charging handle. Still gotta pull sideways to remove it.

I'm designing a replacement charging handle for the Benelli M4.  I'm not in love with Beretta's tri-cut indent on the tip that holds it in.  It allows the handle to fall somewhere between a spinner, and a non-rotating charging handle as it has 'bumps' in the rotation.  But if you over rotate it, or get it between bumps, it can start walking out on you.

So I'm curious to hear, who likes:

1.  Benelli design as-is, where a part-rotation makes disassembly easy.

2.  A free rotating spinner that you just yank sideways to pop out.

3.  A non-rotating handle that you also have to yank out straight.

Thoughts?

Edited by shootingsight

20 hours ago, shootingsight said:

I'm designing a replacement charging handle for the Benelli M4.  I'm not in love with Beretta's tri-cut indent on the tip that holds it in.  It allows the handle to fall somewhere between a spinner, and a non-rotating charging handle as it has 'bumps' in the rotation.  But if you over rotate it, or get it between bumps, it can start walking out on you.

So I'm curious to hear, who likes:

1.  Benelli design as-is, where a part-rotation makes disassembly easy.

2.  A free rotating spinner that you just yank sideways to pop out.

3.  A non-rotating handle that you also have to yank out straight.

Thoughts?

Benelli design as is with same shape just a slightly larger knob. But honestly, I have no desire to change mine because it works for me and it doesn't come out unless I want it to and it's NP3 plated.

But your work does look awesome!

Can you design a spinner that has a locking mechanism to retain the factory twist release?   I don't think I've ever seen anything that has this functionality though.  Something that spins and then locks in a way that wouldn't interfere with how it's used.  Maybe a pull out to lock instead of pushing in to lock?  So it would be pull out (to lock) and then twist to remove.

Design is cool....lots to think about.

• Like 1

Whatever you make, above all else, it has to not spontaneously eject itself from the bolt when firing the weapon. Again, I think the design and dimensions of the FFT 1/2 inch steel bolt handle are perfect, at least for me, except that I cannot rely upon this unit to not go flying out of the bolt and onto the floor during live-fire exercises. 

• 1 month later...

Did you post a picture of your design?

Never mind, I found your pictures and video, sweet!

New too the Benelli M4, I just picked up a used one last month.

Im not a big fan of the stock charging handle so far.

I ordered a 3/4” from FFT, I was torn between the 1/2” and 3/4”, hopefully is stays in the bolt!

• 2 months later...

Hello,

New to m4. I purchased the freedom fighter tactical 3/4" np3 coated. I like everything about it, but... it does not stay in quite as tight. I'm not sure if the detent will keep it in always, but it's definitely easier to pull out. This might be due to the extra leverage given the size.

The thing I haven't seen commented on anywhere else is that mine touches the side of the shotgun at times. There is a slight amount of play in the bolt as there is with the oem bolt. However, if I push in on the fft made bolt, the bottom of the larger diameter of the cylinder touches the side of the gun. The oem has a smaller bolt handle diameter and does not touch as it is not large enough to reach. In addition, if you look at the fft bolt, you will see that it is a 90 degree cut from the narrower bolt to the larger cylinder. The oem has a slight bevel. I recommend that you include a bevel as well or be sure to make the bolt a little longer before the larger cylinder is attached to assure it doesn't touch due to small tolerances in gun mfg. I called into freedom fighter and he said the bolt probably goes in slightly more on mine. He offered to send it back and was very nice, but why not have a design that prevents this issue. I purchased my gun brand new, so off the shelf should work. A better design to prevent this would be to make it longer or include a bevel which would also shave a little weight.

I really hope you make a better one as I like the larger size diameter bolt.

Any update?