Thread: Cleaning Nova Trigger Assembly

Hello,

I want to clean my Nova trigger assembly. Benelli reccomends that only gunsmiths actually disassemble it, so I'm not going to do that.

I'm thinking of giving it a good dousing with MPro7 to get out any grease and oil and clean down to the metal. My question is what parts do I need to lube after this? Should I spray the whole thing with some oil? Should I grease any rotating parts?

I don't want to clean it if I'm going to damage it, and I don't want to have to take it to a gunsmith either if I don't have to.

Anyone have any reccomendations?

Thanks!

If you're going to douse, I would recommend CLP instead of M-Pro7. I use both regularly, and the M-Pro gets used on the really baked in fouling. The jazz in the trigger group just isn't that hard to remove.

If you can get it, used "canned air" or a compressor to get as much CLP out of the housing as possible. What's left is no big deal, as it is a lubricant!

quantum,

On my SBEII, I remove the trigger assembly and use M-Pro7 on a cleaning patch. I clean all the parts I can see and access without disassembly of the trigger unit.

Use a dry cleaning patch to wipe it dry. Then I put oil, FP-10, on a cleaning patch and give a layer of oil to all the parts I can see and access.

Regards threeshot

Thanks for the tips!

Another question: Does anyone actually use any grease on their shotguns? On the bolt slide rails perhaps? Or is oil all that's needed? I use Tetra oil right now but had been considering using grease inside the action on moving parts.

yep. i use eiter tetra grease or miltec-1 grease on the rails.
    • 28" SBE Dipped in Max4 by Tim Newbold, SureCycle Action & Magazine Upgrade Kit, X-coil Sporting Pad
    • 28" SBE2 w/ SureCycle Magazine Upgrade, Briley bolt handle
    • 18" SuperNova Tactical w/Pistol Grip Ghost-Ring Meprolight Night Sights, TacStar SideSaddle, TacStar Magazine Extension, Flashlight mount underneath barrel, SureCycle Magazine Upgrade
    • 28" Cordoba 20 gauge with Briley bolt handle

Drundel,

Not sound negative or anything, I am curious why you prefer the grease versus a good gun oil on the slide rails? What advantage have you experienced with the grease over the gun oil?

I am guessing from your posts that you hunt in the cold. Does the grease thicken-up less than FP-10 (I think you use FP-10, or maybe it's Miltec-1 oil) during your cold hunts?

Regards threeshot

It don't get cold where I hunt (PLEASE send us some, i hate hunting in the 70's in November, its just not natural), maybe 40s, MAYBE. The rails are the main metal-to-metal contact on the Benelli design and I like a little extra lube there and find grease lasts longer. Again, no cold, and it really doesn't attract dirt like you think it would.
    • 28" SBE Dipped in Max4 by Tim Newbold, SureCycle Action & Magazine Upgrade Kit, X-coil Sporting Pad
    • 28" SBE2 w/ SureCycle Magazine Upgrade, Briley bolt handle
    • 18" SuperNova Tactical w/Pistol Grip Ghost-Ring Meprolight Night Sights, TacStar SideSaddle, TacStar Magazine Extension, Flashlight mount underneath barrel, SureCycle Magazine Upgrade
    • 28" Cordoba 20 gauge with Briley bolt handle